Why leave civilization behind to live in the wild?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Ettina, May 7, 2012.

1. dave_c

dave_c Active Member

quite a few possible reasons:

1. most obvious to me is that they feel they simply do not "fit" into society. i think a great number of people could relate to that.
    2. they are worried their secret would be found out and they would be experimented on.
    3. they are banished some how or maybe banish themselves because they either have or fear that they will hurt someone.
    4. instincts make them want to hunt animals, they crave the taste of fresh meat.
    5. they like the idea of being wild, free of inhibitions.

hope that helps

2. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

A lot of movies (ET?) and animated sagas have the 'threat of exposure because they might be encarcerated or experimented on' idea when it comes to mutants, space visitors, mermaids etc. I think it's a good one because it seems a realistic fear.

3. SFC Donnell

SFC Donnell New Member

Well humans do it, leave civilization to go be a hermit. I would look at what the story is about, will the characters need a reason as a back story? This would be a good place to insert one.

Me as a human being, I would like to escape the general lawlessness that we see on city streets, not only the criminals, but the big brother government too. Living in the boonies might be hard but the lack of stress might make the hard life more than worth it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2013