Why Movies?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Leaka, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Banzai, welcome to the world of Pychological horror. :p

And yes, you are right, Metalica own the rights to Johnny got his Gun, and it is being remade for modern audiances... which will make me sad, as I love the book and I can see them ruining it.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I don't think it needs remaking. The original still scares the crap out of me.

And whilst we're on psychological horror: how about The Shining?

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Me too, I don't think it needs remaking at all.

I love The Shining the film (Personaly, I like it over the novel), I suppose that is a Pychological Horror too.
    However, more clear Pychological horror films are things like 1408, Jacob's Ladder, Session 9 and The Machinist.

4. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

I'd like to point out that this entirely your opinion, none of it is fact or necessarily true :)

ETA: I think we just need to be a bit more respectful of others' opinions - I'd appreciated it if this was considered.

5. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Littlefoot is a child hood favorite! How dare you defile him! So what if... well ok the movies past well, all of the movies but the first one kind of suck. But the first one is a classic!

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Mary Poppins was a secret childhood favorite of mine. And now I'm old enough that I don't care if people know that :)

7. PrincessGarnet

PrincessGarnet New Member

What do people like romantic comedies? :p - waste of time always know they will end up together, well perhaps i answered my question. Although lately i have watched a few and kind of enjoyed them but would never list one as a favourite or good film.

I have to say though i am quite closed minded when it comes to films, like V for Vendetta was so boring (i would have walked out if my friend wasn't there) in my opinion, nothing new, predictable and pretended it was more than it was.

Also Kill Bill is one i seem to be alone in not liking, just really bored me, not much story line and people killing each other, which amused me for some minutes but i like more substance. The second one was better though.

8. Cogito

Kill Bill was basically adult Japanese anime turned into a live film. It was deliberately over the top, darkest of dark humor, poking fun at a genre while simultaneously saluting it.

I hated it, and loved it. It somehow managed to walk that tightrope between idiocy and genius without quite falling off.

9. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Kill Bill Vol 1 was good, Vol 2 was horribly weak in comparison. They should have release them together instead of seperately. I sit in a theater for four horus to see something incredible and I wouldn't mind.

10. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

I liked the original scream- back in the later ninties I think it set a mark for newer movies but I havn't seen that many horror movies where any others have overtaken it. Probably because Idon't watch horror movies....:p

Blair witch~ Scared teh crap outta me cause I remember the hype of it being real. I also remember the fact it was revealed as a build up to get people to watch it. The rocks, children scared me along with the end of those guys standing in corners of the room.

The Saw movies.... hm... I don't really like them much because I don't like the gore ect. Or the horrible situations the victems are put in. And also~ The first Saw Movie??? I thought that blondie had terrible acting skills and was so wooden you could of used him for fire-wood.

Zombie movies are movies I try and avoid other than the funny ones like Shaun of the dead. I havn't seen 300 - yet -, nor V for vendetta so I can't really comment.

But hey- what about the good old Halloween? Or Texas chainsaw massacre? Those were scary. Mostly.

But Wrong Turn (which I only watched cause Eliza Dushku was in it and she played Faith in Buffy the Vampire Slayer) That was creepy and different from the other, albiet little amount, of horror movies I have watched.

11. Bella

Bella New Member

Ah, for Goodness sakes. If every movie ever produced was an intellectual commentary on social situations, full of symbolism and masterful insight, going to the theater would become mentally exhausting. I can appreciate a deep, multi-layered, brilliantly-acted film one day and kick back with Tommy Boy and Dumb and Dumber the next day. I watch different movies for different reasons and enjoy them equally. Does that make me a pedestrian idiot? Hardly.

12. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

LOL!

I agree with you. Sometimes it's good to see a movie and get a good story out of it. Other times, and more or less most of the time, I like the movies that have mayhem action without the plot. Mindless violence. Hmmm.............

13. Cogito

The Fly (the original with David Hedison and Vincent Price) was great SF/Horror. I was unimpressed with the Goldblum remakes.

Another excellent one was The Man With The X-Ray Eyes, starring Ray Milland.

14. Banzai

Some of the old Alfred Hitchcock films are really quite good. Psycho being the obvious one, but also The Birds.

15. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

My favorite Hitchcock film is Rear Window. North by Northwest is really good too.

16. Banzai

I'm embarassed to say I haven't seen either. I shall look into it :)

17. Daphnes

Daphnes New Member

Some people just don't mind cliches. I'm one of them. Cliches are cliches because they're used often. They're used often because they work.

18. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

They're both really good. I liked them more than the two you mentioned.

19. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

This is entirely my opinion:

Quentin Tarantino has to be the most arrogant film director out there. He makes pointless, uninspiring drivel which, for some amazing reason, everybody laps up. (Pulp Fiction, anyone?)

Reservoir Dogs is the only exception.

20. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

I enjoyed Pulp Fiction. I'd call movies like Hitman, Aliens vs. Predator Requiem, Doom, Alone in the Dark and others like that uninspired pointless drivel. Pulp Fiction was well acted and well put together.

21. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Hitman, Doom, and ALone in the Dark were all horrible. Worse part is that they could ahve been good. The fact that they apparently can't even stick to their own source material is a good sign their not going to be good though. Hitman and Alone in the Dark weren't very good games to begin with (imo) but the movies couldn't even get what was good about them right. Doom? Doom was a massacre of a perfectly good video game franchise. The movie and the Rock should burn in hell.

I disagree about Alien vs Predator. It had its flaws, but I liked it. Its at least a C movie that you can watch two or three times and still ahve fun. AVPR was slightly better, but again, it had some problems.

22. Raven

Raven Banned

One Of The Best Movies I've seen was L.A. Confidential because the plots and storyline was so well written nd the Movie had a good assembly of actors playing the roles.

Another favourite of mine is Saving Private Ryann I thought the imagery in the first 40 minutes ofthat film were very good and the story itself was brilliant. I have a soft spot of that movie.
    Another fave of mine is Black Hawk Down. The film was just awesome and i was entertained from start to finsih.

There are a lot of movies out there and some are very crude and crap but then some like those movieswhile others prefare the more intellectual of the films. We are all different and none of us can like the same or life would be pretty dull.

300 was a brilliant movie as was King Arthur.

23. Banzai

I didn't see King Arthur. It didn't really look all that good. Plus, scantily clad Keira Knightley is never a good idea.

24. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

Yeah, she might break in half if she doesn't have any clothing to keep her frame together.

25. Banzai

Precisely. Or the scant clothing may come off. No one wants to see that.