Why not a Queendom instead of Kingdom?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by MustWrite, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

At the very least I would have snorted derisively and rolled my eyes. If I was reading aloud I would have made a wanking motion with my fist for the crowd to see.

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Yes they are! If they weren't then the discussion would be more like: the only issue is it's uncommon, but nothing wrong with it.

I'm not making an issue of using queendom. I pointing out how the reactions to the word look to me from where I sit.

Sexism is insidious. Recognizing the problem with gender biased language took people with insight pointing it out to other people who hadn't noticed and/or didn't/don't believe it mattered.

Then there was the predictable reaction, feminists are making a big deal out of nothing, it's stupid, yadda yadda.

We're not past that level completely.

3. GingerCoffee

I believe you and other readers would react this way. The question is, unless the story was about something like, Amazon warrior babes on the Moon, how many people who would react to something as unremarkable as using the word queendom, would likely read the genre anyway?

Well, at this point we've at least given @MustWrite food for thought.

4. Jack Asher

I like Queensland. Sounds a lot better, might fix all the problems.

5. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

You may have noticed that I am a feminist.

And I've explained my reaction. And it seems to me that you're not hearing me at all.

This is what I've occasionally said about intellectual empathy. You don't have to agree with people who disagree with you. But sometimes it seems to me that you remain determinedly in debate mode, highlighting and carving out the disagreement, rather than trying to understand the other side.

I'll do my own carving out: Do you feel that we should use the words aviatrix and doctrix? Why not?

6. GingerCoffee

I have.

You are probably aware that there is no true feminist (as in there is no true Scotsman). Meaning feminists have individual views of feminist's issues, it doesn't mean one is not a feminist because one has a different POV from another feminist.

7. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

I'd say that if it is actually a matriarchal society Queendom would work well. However, if it just so happens that there have been a few female rulers in a row due to the way the bloodline has worked a gender neutral word would work better (given that Kingdom is annoying you).

Thornesque likes this.
  8. MustWrite

MustWrite Member

Wow. I'm going to say it backwards, Wow! Thanks everyone for this lively discussion. I was actually expecting more on the lines of Jack Asher's response, thanks by the way for the blunt honesty, it made me laugh.
    Ok, The current ruler of my Queendom does want to change not just the words but the way her Realm is run. Her only heir is a girl, but I actually do want her to change the Kingdom to a Queendom, including all the realism of peoples reactions on the issue in the story, rather than calling it a realm and being done with it.

Yes, Jack Asher, perhaps Queendom does sound stupid, thats why I started this jolly post in the first place. But there are many stupid-sounding words we don't notice or think about because we are used to the sight and sound of them- they are accepted and so no one argues over them for three pages.. Ok thanks again for sharing everyone!

GingerCoffee likes this.
  9. MustWrite

MustWrite Member

Also, Queensland is an awesome word, sounds great, but it's just too Australian for me, sorry!

Jack Asher likes this.
  10. Chaos Inc.

Chaos Inc. Active Member

Bah, I had something! BTW: It doesn't sound "stupid", it's just different. Oh, and when I read Queendom, I think of guys in drag... Now that's stupid!

GingerCoffee likes this.
  11. Chaos Inc.

Chaos Inc. Active Member

Not for us states folks. Meaning it doesn't sound too Australian. It is awesome.

12. MustWrite

MustWrite Member

Hmmm, us kiwis look at Australia differently I guess. Must be the inferiority complex, sitting next to our bigger cousin, makes us feel like the ugly, puny one. ;)

13. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

As long as your Queendom has a rainbow colored flag, you're good.

14. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

I like this idea. It's tongue-in-cheek, even whimsical. She's the Queen, and if she wants to call her land 'Queendom', then she shall. The reactions from her people will be varied, too. Some will think it sounds stupid, some will think it's awesome.

The term is fairly loaded though, to me anyway. It's like you instantly think of terms like herstory and womyn. But on the other hand, I could see it e.g. in a children's book, too.

Afaic, call it Queendom. You'll also have a lot of fun coming up with different other terms your queen will invent so as to feminize their language. :D

P.s. 'aviatrix,''dominatrix', 'imperatrix'... Those are awesome words.

15. EllBeEss

EllBeEss Senior Member

If the realm is ruled by a Queen and your world has a history of Kingdoms (IMO it makes little sense to go from a gender neutral name for the realm to Queendom unless there exist Kingdoms in your story) then I would be fine with using Queendom. I wouldn't be surprised if some people still referred to it as a Kingdom.

16. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I'm coming late to this discussion, but I'd go with @minstrel's suggestion and call it "Realm."

It's a word that doesn't need explaining, doesn't call attention to itself (unlike Queendom would) and is gender-neutral. The Realm of Jabberwocky, the Realm of Goshen, the Realm of Britain. You have a ruler of a realm, whom you can address any way you like. Your Royal Highness, Your High Mucky Muck, Mistress/Master of All You Survey, Your Grace ...or King or Queen.

Furthermore, if both males and females can 'rule' the place, then the name of the country doesn't have to change. So, to quote a famous Meerkat ...no I won't...sorry... can't stand bloody meerkats...

17. bythegods

bythegods Banned

Strongly agreed. Although 'Queendom' is justified technically, the word does not have enough adoption and may cause confusion.
    It is pitiful that some have tried to steer this discussion into a political debate. Ditch 'Queendom' and pick another word.

18. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

I agree with "realm", because "Queendom" would have your readers forever tripping over the name.

19. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Yeah, decades-long feminist here (just so that's clear up front) and I think the word sounds dumb. More importantly, if I were to read that in a book, I would immediately roll my eyes and think "Oh, God, another ultra-feminist author trying to make a point!" - ie, it would take me out of the story and color my view of the rest of it. If you want to make said point, go ahead - it's your book, after all. IMHO, kingdom became gender-neutral long, long ago. It's an administrative designation, nothing more. But then, I grew up with the queen ruling the United Kingdom...

20. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

To me the tone of the story would matter; if the author isn't entirely serious and the story is written with a glint in the eye, I think it can work. If it's supposed to be serious fantasy (or what I consider such) à la The Lord of the Rings, the Song of Ice and Fire, Wheel of Time etc. I think I'd find it, well, ridiculous.

Thornesque and jannert like this.
  21. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

I like Queendom. I'm also writing a book where all the rulers are women. Men DO NOT rule, even if they're married to the Queen and she dies. If I used the term "Queen" in my novel (but I don't), I would indeed use "Queendom" or "Queensland." Because what's the point in calling it a "Kingdom" if the King doesn't rule the land? It's not the King's domain.. it's the Queen's! It makes perfect sense to me.. But what do I know? :p

22. outsider

outsider Contributor Contributor

I think whoever it was back there was being mischievous when they suggested Queensland as that is entering the territory of just making words up.
    As was pointed out, it is also a territory in Australia.

23. Jack Asher

That was me, and I honestly had no idea. I hate Australia.

What about Queensrealm then?

GingerCoffee likes this.
  24. GingerCoffee

I love that combination.

25. outsider

outsider Contributor Contributor

Sort of sounds like gay sexual innuendo at the same time though.:whistle: