1. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Page Fright: Foibles and Fetishes of Famous Writers

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by jannert, Apr 26, 2016.

This book, Page Fright: Foibles and Fetishes of Famous Writers by Harry Bruce, is one of the best things I've read on the subject of writing in years.

It covers all modern writing periods, starting from even as far back as the 18th Century to very modern writers, and deals with the attitudes these authors had, or have, to the act of writing itself. Anybody who thinks there is a formula for success is in for a shock. There isn't. All these writers approach the subject with an entirely unique mindset. This book is funny in places, but also gives a notion of the scope of the subject.

Some writers can produce three books a year. Some produce one every 20 years, or only one at all. Some writers revise as they write. Some think revising as they write will kill the muse. Some never revise. Some never stop revising. All of these authors are famous and successful.

Sadly, some can't write without drink or drugs, and these vices can eventually either kill the writer or kill the writing. Some writers have large families and their families are a welcome distraction from writing. Some writers can't be bothered to marry, and others who have families neglect them. Some authors control their characters. Some authors are led by their characters. Many authors find it very difficult to leave their characters behind. Some authors take long breaks between books or while writing. Others find it difficult to stop writing, even to eat and do everyday activities like sleep. Some authors are so engrossed in their stories that they talk to themselves on public transport or don't recognise their children. Others keep to a neat schedule, writing at a certain time every day, and then break off and use the rest of the day to be 'normal.' Some authors walk while writing, others walk before writing. Some never want to leave their writing room.

What I particularly like is knowing that these writers are not all focused on sales (a few of them are), but rather on how to get the story that's boiling away inside them out onto a page.

This is a hugely worthwhile and entertaining read. And at £2.76 on Kindle in the UK, also very inexpensive.

2. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Sounds awesome. :superagree::superagree::superagree:

jannert likes this.
  3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

It is. It's a lot of fun to read.

4. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Jealousy. :mad:

5. Moe1795

Moe1795 Member

Sounds fun. I pa e around the room when I write and it can become all consuming. It can lead me to neglect other aspects of my life, social, physical, and it makes me ABSOLUTELY HATE having to go to work. So im trying to create some balance where I can write without feeling miserable