1. David K. Thomasson

David K. Thomasson Contributing Member

Why Writers Are the Worst Procrastinators

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by David K. Thomasson, Feb 14, 2014.

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

This cracked me up:
    And this:
    :D

Foxe likes this.
  3. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Contributing Member

It prob doesn't help but writers have to be (in one sense or another) day dreamers always thinking. But my worst reason is fear. fear that what I'm doing is wrong, stupid, pointless or hard.

Macaberz likes this.
  4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I've always been a procrastinator. I work best when I'm supposed to be doing something else. I remember when I was in university I had to do assignments and study for midterms, but I'd use that time to play guitar and compose music. It seemed the higher the pressure was to do well in school, the more music I composed.

It's the same now. I write most when I'm supposed to be doing something else.

So what's procrastinating? Is it putting off the writing, or is it putting off the something else you're supposed to be doing instead of writing?

If you're a procrastinator, and you want to write, assign yourself a non-writing task. Procrastinate from that, and you'll get your writing done. :)

Foxe, Thomas Kitchen and Macaberz like this.
  5. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Well, now, wait a minute. If I was a procrastinator, instead of finishing the last chapters of my first draft, I'd be posting on some writer's forum about...

Oh.

minstrel and GingerCoffee like this.
  6. NeedMoreRage

NeedMoreRage Member

I shouldn't have watched those 6... wait 7, episodes of the new House of Cards season that went up this morning. And I certainly shouldn't be reading a long article about procrastinating. Well there's always tomorrow. Been saying that for a month now.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  7. Robert_S

Robert_S Contributing Member

I'm fortunate that I watch very little TV. I think the only show I try to catch now and then is "Modern Family." Otherwise, I would just swap my computer/internet distraction for a TV.

8. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Got every bit of laundry done today. That would be 2-3 weeks worth, the length of time I can go until I run out of clean socks and underwear. I've put down half a chapter, that's not the problem.

Sending out my invoices and getting to the taxes, that's my current problem.