1. Jamie Senopole

Jamie Senopole Member

What is a word/term for a promised title/position?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Jamie Senopole, Jul 26, 2012.

I'm trying to word in a story I'm writing, that the character is showing potential for their [blank]. I'm trying to think of a good word to refer to a promised/reserved title/position for someone that is meant to be second in command, of sorts. Any ideas? :confused: Anyone know of a term that would work for this description?

Additional details: My main character was turned into a vampire and her sire has "big plans" for her once she has learned the ropes of being a vampire through her mentor. Her sire is pretty much a maniac when it comes to power and is so busy creating his empire, he has his prodigy mentor her. She doesn't realize til later that she is being "formed" into what he wants her to be as the "ideal" second-in-command.

2. Corgz

Corgz New Member

vice president?

3. Scott Berman

Scott Berman New Member

You can pick something basic, like Vice-President (can't imagine that working) or Lieutenant or such, or you can try going with a theme. What is the head vampire's position called? Have the positions relate. If you can come up with cool enough of a theme it could help you develop other ranks for minor characters and build a whole hierarchy based on it, leading to further levels of depth to the faction and your story.

4. Jamie Senopole

Jamie Senopole Member

I've been looking some things up and I like to have a Latin theme for titles and names for covens, etc. I also like the term regent. I found that word will searching around on thesaurus.com and under queen they had regent. He is not the king of all vampires, just trying to get there. I like the term dominus for the ruler of all the vampires. Kind of like how Twilight had the Volturi, maybe I would like something like The Dominus...? Still feeling words out.

So if I wanted to use Regent, is that derived from latin to where it would fit? I know in latin rex means king and the prefix reg- is used, for example: regent. And regina is latin for queen. So what if I used Regent and Regina for their two titles? Meaning they rule over a large group of vampires. And The Dominus to refer to the leaders that keep all vampires in check?

Any suggestions?

5. E. C. Scrubb

E. C. Scrubb Active Member

Depending on who the books is directed at, but especially if it's teenagers just a tad older, I could see "Regina" being read as something else the first time (or at least a word-connection being made) and thus taking away the impact of the word.

How about "Tribunus"? There were usually six of them in a legion - and one of the six, the "broad striped" one (meaning the highest in social status), was the second in command. Legatus legioniswere the commanders of the legion - they were "senatorial officers" and came from the ranks of the Tribunus

If you utilize this system, then both the prodigy and she can be part of the Tribuni, with your main character being the tribunus laticlavius or the broad striped one and the others being tribuni angusticlavii

The prodigy can even be a Praefectus castrorum, a "camp commandant." This may better serve, however, to name someone who takes care of the group. In Roman times, this person was usually the third in command.

Do a search for Rank Structure of the Roman Imperial Army to find these and other ranks.

6. Jamie Senopole

Jamie Senopole Member

Hi! Thanks a lot, E C Scrubb! Where did you get Tribunus from? I kind of like the sound of that. The long words after it though, I'm afraid might trip up the readers though. I like how you included the mentor in there. I will look up the rank structure to the Roman Imperial Army like you suggested.

Do you have a suggestion that will apply to the group of vampires that oversee all vampires, along the same theme?

7. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Alive in the Superunknown

Acolyte, or understudy: one being groomed for higher responsibilities. I'd probably use "acolyte" myself. It has more of a mystical flair to it.

8. E. C. Scrubb

No problem. Actually, Tribuni would be the group that overseas all vampires, and she would be the tribunus laticlavius. Now, I perfectly get the fact that you don't want to throw in all the long Latin phrases as titles, so you could introduce the phrase once in an explanation, then have the person speaking tell your MC that the names been shorted to Triblat or something. I could see the scene going something like this - (just my imagination running wild here).

"You don't know, do you?" Aurelon asked,
    Jamie shook her head.
    "He's training you to be the Tribunus Laticlavius."

"The what? That sounds like a tribute to some freaken body part."

Aurelon frowned, disapproval flashing in her eyes. "Society today has no respect for the classics." After a few moments of thought, she continued. "You, me, all the leaders here, we're the Tribuni. You however, are being trained as a Tribunus Laticlavius, though we tend to shorthand it to Triblat. The Triblat is the second in command of the Roman Legion. You really haven't studied classical history, have you?"

Or something like that.

As for where I got it from, I just did a search for Roman military leadership.

9. Jamie Senopole

Jamie Senopole Member

Awesome suggestions! Thank you so much! I will have fun tonight researching the Roman military leadership!

10. DomTheDoxx

DomTheDoxx New Member

Btw, plot-wise, have you ever watched the anime Hellsing? The story kind of seems similar

11. Jamie Senopole

Jamie Senopole Member

No, I haven't. I didn't post all the details, just enough to support my question, but I will look into this anime to make sure it is not too similar. Thanks.

12. E. C. Scrubb

I'd almost suggest you not watch it, just to make sure you don't end up being biased by it... either writing a scene that is in it, or not writing a scene out of fear that it may be close. Finish your first draft, then watch it and make any changes then... (Just my opinion, and not one from experience either - maybe another general question in the forum on this issue might be in order?)