Will books survive?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by marcusl, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Calrootpeg

Calrootpeg New Member

Thank you. But here's some bad news. Our school system... K - 12, are in debates as to whether or not make an investment into E-books. The debate: The ecology and does lugging 50lbs of paper endanger a young child's health. By your picture I think you will see the change... sad, but we both probably said the same thing about the record-player.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Given the sometimes-on-the-mark, sometimes-wide-of-the-shot manner in which science fiction authors gauge such things, I wonder as to the predictions sci-fi authors have given to the matter.

In Frank Herbert's Dune (original book in the series printed in 1966) series he speaks more than once about tiny versions of The Orange Catholic Bible printed on crystal paper, complete with magnification system and electrostatic page turning. Very tech, but actual pages in an actual book.

In Samuel R. Delaney's Stars in my Pocket Like Grains of Sand (1984), he makes reference to the protagonist visiting his family's lavish estate where there are many precious antiques, one of which is a device eerily similar to a Kindle.