1. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Contributing Member

Will this come off as too "politically correct" in my story?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Ryan Elder, Mar 15, 2016.

In my story, it's about a man who wants revenge on the woman who raped him and got away with it. I recently thought of a new ending.

Basically instead of him getting revenge on his rapist, his girlfriend avenges him instead.

However, do you think readers would think it is too PC, in the sense that they may think that the writer did not have the guts to have a man character get revenge on a woman villain for his own victimization, so instead the writer, had the man's girlfriend come along and get it for him, so it would be more acceptable to the reader?

That's not my intention for the new ending, and I was not trying to be PC by not having him do it compared to woman lover, but do you think it will come off that way, and be seen as a cop out likely?

2. IlaridaArch

IlaridaArch Active Member

Oh well, thinking about political correctness in our stories is a huge mistake.

Which makes more sense? Is the man's nature fitting for revenge? Or is his girlfriend strong character who decides to avenge? We do fight for our loved ones, that's for sure. But stop thinking about PC here, concentrate on the characters and the story to make it feel and work good. It's your story, don't let trendy media or ideologies thump you down.

KokoN, Yoav, KaTrian and 1 other person like this.
  3. Ryan Elder

Well either could work depending on how I develop the characters. I could switch it to her which I thought would be interesting, I just have to develop her differently if that's the case. So either makes sense, at least to me.

I suppose him taking revenge makes more sense cause he was more victimized and he has had more development since he was the main character, but I thought that if a supporting character came in with avenging her bf as a surprise at the end, it could be interesting.

4. Feo Takahari

Feo Takahari Active Member

What would it mean for each of the characters' arcs if they took revenge? (Does the girlfriend even have an arc?) Having the main character himself take revenge could potentially put his development in a very different light than having someone else do it.

5. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributing Member

Do you mean she does the whole quest herself, or is she just the one who gets the moment?

6. Ryan Elder

She just gets the moment at the end, after the MC fails in his quest, but he arc would have to be altered for it to happen that way.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  7. Oscar Leigh

That sounds fine to me. My only concern would it seeming like he's not interested, but if he's involved too it should be fine. (Although, if he were sick or something, it could be solo.)

8. Ryan Elder

He is interested more than her at first but the police stop him from getting the revenge. Then she would come in and get it herself or at least come close too.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  9. Oscar Leigh

I really, really don't think there's any problem then.

10. Ryan Elder

Okay then, thanks. Is there a reason you emphasized 'really', or said it twice?

11. Oscar Leigh

Because I think it's definitely not a concern.

12. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributing Member Contributor

Maybe he and his girlfriend each try to do it on their own, both fail in some way, and they finally decide to do it together?

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  13. Pauline

Pauline Member

The first Harry potter aside, the hero is better to accomplish in the climax. Maybe the GF could avenge him but he realizes that ultimately justice should provale and attempts and succeeds

14. Ryan Elder

Okay thanks for the advice. Since my story is about a cop who wants revenge on the villain, how long do you think he needs to take before he is pushed to revenge? Like usually the police will only get revenge, when the villain gets away with it, but most of the time, cops are willing to wait years, even decades to solve a case, the legal way.

However, the longer he waits to try to solve the case, the legal way, and find a way to capture her, the more the opportunities for revenge dry up. Cause he wants to kill her and get away with it, but if he waits longer, the more further away she will get. So how long can he wait for revenge, where it is plausible that he will be pushed far enough, to believing that there is no chance of catching her legally?

15. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributing Member

I would think that violent revenge coming from someone in that situation would be done quickly. Most people don't wait years to attack someone who wronged them long ago. I could see someone in law enforcement waiting years to get justice legally. But for real people that Hollywood cathartic vigilante revenge decades later type of thing just doesn't happen.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  16. Ryan Elder

Oh okay, I was told by a couple of others that he would wait years to see if the system would not fail him, before being pushed to revenge. Part of his revenge plan though, is to get other victims of the villain to join him and they form a vengeful mob. Do you think the rest of the mob members would need to wait years to see if the villain is brought down legally, or would they form quickly as well, as oppose to one person only?