1. ToeKneeBlack

ToeKneeBlack Contributing Member Contributor

Will this project title cause problems? (Stormbringer: Azurium)

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by ToeKneeBlack, Jun 4, 2014.

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I hope I'm not treading on anyone's toes.

My current project has the working title of "Stormbringer: Azurium", though I'm aware of a series of stories which are about a sword called the "Stormbringer" written between 1963 and 2001.

In this project, the main protagonist goes by the name of "Stormbringer" in reference to the Deep Purple song of the same name, which appears to have no relation to the stories about the sword. She wears a lot of purple and has the ability to control the fundamental forces of the universe, but only by small amounts at first.

What I'm asking is, am I treading on thin ice with the proposed title of the book and the name of my main character?

2. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Supporter Contributor

I hardly doubt it would cause any issue.
    He doesn't own the word Stormbringer.

I looked up a list of his books and only one of them is called Stormbringer. It's not an original name either as many others have used it for personal titles, names, names for weapons, etc.

Nothing wrong with your title.

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

^ Agreed. You can use it.

4. ToeKneeBlack

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure before and it's tricky to come up with a title sometimes.

5. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

From what I understand, titles aren't exactly exclusive copyright materials. For example, I've seen a movie, a videogame and a book all with the title Oblivion, but none of the makers are suing each other over it. I think so long as your plot isn't exactly like the plots of the other books, then you're OK.

It's difficult, though, no doubt. :/ I always fret over title and names of my characters and races/planets, etc. You're not alone there. :D

6. xanadu

xanadu Contributing Member Contributor

Titles can't be copyrighted. No one has any claim to any specific title. But that doesn't mean a publisher won't change it if there's a chance it could be confused with/mistaken for other works.

The title is part of marketing/branding. Publishers are pretty good at worrying about all that. I wouldn't sweat it.

Link the Writer likes this.
  7. ToeKneeBlack

That's great. I've got no plans to use anyone else's characters, so there shouldn't be an issue.

8. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

A quick look on Amazon finds 6 titles with either storm bringer or bringer of storms. Lots of book titles are similar or the same.

9. ToeKneeBlack

So the only problem I'll have is trying to stand out from the crowd. Hopefully the word "Azurium" is something that no-one else has used, because I made it up. Unless it is a real word that doesn't appear in any dictionary.

10. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I think standing out in a crowd is something worth thinking about. I have a title for my book and already have the domaine name. But if I were to come up with something more stand-out, I'm not opposed to changing the title. The way I see it, the title is about marketing, the book is about the story.

11. GoldenFeather

GoldenFeather Active Member

Honestly? It's not that good of a title because it's difficult to read and pronounce BUT, if you're really keen on keeping it, you can add a subtitle to clear things up. Subtitles can really help in an instance like this.

12. ToeKneeBlack

I didn't want to use "The Stormbringer and the Azurium Orb" since I feel "(character name) and the (item /other character name)" is a bit overused.

Other possibilities I'm considering include
    "Stormbringer: Legend of the 23rd Century" which is a bit non-descriptive as the majority of her adventures take place during that time period, or
    "Stormbringer: The Era of the Tesla Kid" which again spans more than one adventure, or
    "Stormbringer: The Attack from Beyond the Grave" which is a bit long but sums up the story.

Either of the first two could work as introductory titles to the series though.

I guess the subject of this thread has shifted to "Will the title be eye-catching?" since the original title is essentially nonsense to anyone who hasn't read the book past the first few chapters to discover what Azurium is.

13. GoldenFeather

GoldenFeather Active Member

I like the first one, "Stormbringer: Legend of the 23rd Century"