Tags:
  1. Thagryn-Sylrand

Thagryn-Sylrand New Member

Mists Of Avalon

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Thagryn-Sylrand, Nov 5, 2008.

I read this book a few years ago and was extremely impressed. I am usually a guy who likes all the violence and adventure you can stick into three hundred pages but Mists of Avalon definitely wasn't that. No spoilers but it was basically an Arthurian book which focused on the women (mainly the pagan women) that had to do with the story. Just wonder if any of you have read it so that we might discuss it.

Or if you haven't read it READ IT!!!

2. Palimpsest

Palimpsest New Member

I read it, and loved it! It's epic-- I could probably concuss a burglar with my copy-- but the action just barrels along, even without getting intimate with the battlefield, foggy duels and the actual dragon battle doesn't come in until three-fourths of the way through. I especially appreciated how subtle the magical system was.

3. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

Oh, this might be my favorite book of all time. I just had to buy a new copy because my old one fell apart!

This was the book that really got me into Arthurian lore.

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Great book, read it years ago. I've always loved Marion Zimmer Bradley's work.

5. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

I enjoyed reading it, but it is insanely long, about the same length as Lord of the Rings and not as easy a read.

6. Thagryn-Sylrand

Thagryn-Sylrand New Member

What I loved about it though is that it went through lifetimes of people and it didn't feel like it was rushing, and it wasn't boring either.

7. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

I loved that book. I haven't read it in like 10 years, but I loved it. I have recommended it to several people. I amt STILL trying to get my husband to read it. I think he is afraid it is some feminist plot against the Arthurian legend. What I liked is that no one was straight hero or straight villians. Morgaine and Gwen were very different, but neither or them was any better or worse than the other. Everyone was fully fleshed out. You understood exactly why everyone was doing what they were doing.

8. Rei

Yeah, it's great to see stories like this that treat the characters like humans and not just heroes or villains.

9. de la vega

de la vega New Member

I read this novel a few years ago. It's the longest novel I have ever read. I cheated on LOTR and skipped a few parts. I still have to go back and do it justice.

I thought the most complex character in Mists was Kevin. And I hate that no one listened to him. The movie was a disaster. I was so excited when it came out but they butchered the book. If Bradley were alive, she never would have condoned its production.

10. Rei

Yeah, it was a disaster. There was no way they could do the book justice in three hours. The book is about the same length of LotRs. That set of movies comes to about twelve hours if you include the extended version.