Wills and Kate Get Hitched ~ The Royal Wedding Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ashleigh, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

hahahahaha! Poorer? Seriously? I love it.

2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

It's...awkward to put it best. I thought it was supposed to be: "For rich or poor, for sickness or in health, untill death do us part..."

And why the poor part? They're the richest people in the entire thing, so...unless the queen booted William onto the streets (or they wounded up stranded on a cay somewhere in the ocean), I doubt they have to be worried about becoming poverty stricken.

3. Tessie

Tessie Contributor Contributor

I have to admit that Kate looks absolutely stunning and William looks very dashing in his uniform. No matter how foppish and over-the-top, I'm liking this pomp.

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

She did look nice - hell everyone did, but would you expect less from the British royalty?

I wish the new couple all the best. That's all I really can do.

5. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

Yeah, I really liked her dress. I loooooove the lace sleeves.
    I didn't see the wedding though, but that's okay. They'll probably show the most important stuff over and over on the news tonight.

6. art

art Contributor Contributor

'Poor' means rather more than the narrow definition that folk are choosing - rather cynically - to ascribe to it.:)

Kate looked lovely..thought perhaps has starved herself a little too much these last few months. A few of my oh-so-manly neighbours made a great show of uncharacteristically giving their cars a clean during the service...a delightful display of indifference.

7. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Watching it reminded me how boring wedding services are. But of course I'm happy for William and Kate. The best bit was seeing the horses and carriages at the end.

8. Tessie

@L: It wasn't too frilly or puffed. That is what I liked about it best. She went simplistic but still so elegant.

@E: I only caught the coverage as they were walking out of the church. Seeing the military on horseback and the carriages, that was beautiful.

9. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

The only thing I object to is this idea of being 'Proud to be British'.

10. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    I watched the whole thing! It was so beautiful. I was all fan-girl when the princes came out, and even more so when William was acting so adorable in the Abbey. I love it when you can see him saying "You look beautiful" really sincerely. Awww. :D

Kate's dress was damn-right stunning. She has been dieting and exercising rather alot, though. Even though she looked beautiful, I think the stress was showing a little in the weight loss.

I thought the whole thing was a little *too* modest, but very classy all the same. The kisses on the balcony made my heart go all fluttery. You can actually see him saying "Shall we give them a nother one? Go on then" Hahaa.

It's been on twitter about how Prince Harry looked like the equivalent of the big boy at the kids table at a Christmas party when he was riding in the coach with the little bridesmaids, LOL. I love our Royal family, they're wonderful. :love:

Oh, and I'd told myself I'd wander downstairs at around 9am, but I was in front of the TV at 8:30AM :p Couldn't help myself. It was lovely though.

11. Ashleigh

Oh, BTW - This parody of the royal wedding is absolutely hilarious, and you HAVE to watch it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kav0FEhtLug

(Posted with permission)

Oh, and this for the "richer and for poorer..." :D

[​IMG]

12. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

Guess I'm the only one who didn't really like her dress. But I'm not into sleeves on wedding dresses. Strapless or halter neck is prettier.

13. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

@Link--the wedding vows in the Church of England are 'for richer, for poorer...' not 'rich/poor'.
    I don't know how the amount of money earned due to the wedding counterbalances the expenses incurred, but I shouldn't think it made much of a dent. Also considering, for all you Marxists out there, that most expenses were paid for by the families concerned, not the taxpayer.
    I thought the dress was pretty dull although nice and dignified--like most of her outfits. Brides in Turkey look stunningly glamorous when they marry--my daughter is a wedding dress designer!
    They looked very 'together' which was a change from the woodentop attitude of Charles and Diana.

14. Halcyon

Halcyon Contributor Contributor

Hi guys

I am a very long way from being somebody who could reasonably be described as a Royalist, but I have to admit that I enjoyed the occasion. It was a great opportunity for the nation to come together in celebration, and a chance for people to forget about the plight of the nation and simply enjoy themselves for one brief day.

Prince William seems like a decent young man, and very well-adjusted for someone who has been raised in a very surreal environment and who lost his mother at a tragically young age. Kate Middleton also comes across as a genuinely nice girl who won't become spoiled by her new status in life, although only time will tell. They certainly seem like a couple who are genuinely in love.

I have to admit to a little sadness, though not surprise, that there was a very obvious geographical split, with many street parties down here in the South of England where I live (only 5 minutes drive from the Middleton family home), whilst in my native West of Scotland, an area blighted by unemployment, poverty, crime, etc, there was barely a single application received to organise one.

Some pockets of our nation feel very far removed, ideologically as well as geographically, from the Royal Family and the pomp and ceremony that surrounds it.

I wish a long and happy life for the newlyweds. :)

15. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

I would have definitely gotten up early to watch this version of the wedding, haha, the archbishop....:D

16. Link the Writer

I think there's a zombie behind Queen Eliz II.

17. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I thought Kate's dress was really pretty, and William looked pretty dashing as well (although in my opinion Harry's the hotter brother :p ). I was impressed with all the people there and how orderly the crowds seemed to be. Looking at Good Morning America's coverage, London looks absolutely gorgeous, which only makes me want to go there more. It reminds me a bit of when I was in Washington, DC, in that you can hardly turn around without seeing a famous monument -- I saw the palace, Big Ben, the London Eye and other monuments as well.

Google's doodle today is the royal wedding. :D

18. Ashleigh

LOL I know, I was *almost* disappointed that it didn't really happen that way.

Gigi, London is SO gorgeous, and the princes are definitely pure hot stuff. Everybody wants to marry Willster because he's lovely, but Harry's got the whole bad-boy thing going on. Our royals are awesome. :cool:

Link, I thought the same thing LOL.

Loveloveloved the wedding. I bet I'll watch it again soon...Mind you, they're repeating the vows so many times on the news I doubt I'll need to.

Oh, and wasn't the balcony part just beautiful? Two kisses!

EDIT:

Did anyone else notice this demon bridesmaid? I'll have nightmares about her.

[​IMG]

19. Link the Writer

OH <expletive>!!! KILL IT!! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!

I'm gonna have nightmares now. :(

At any rate, I hope the two had a wonderful ceremony and are now resting in Buckingham Palace.

20. Tessie

The two kisses were absolutely beautiful. The second was such a surprise! It's so pleasant to see how happy the two are. :D

21. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

That's why I like Harry, the whole bad-boy vibe. :p I think it's kinda cool that you guys have royalty, since the only experience I have with it is Disney movies. ;)

22. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

I can honestly say I'm neither disgusted or excited. I'm strictly neutral about the whole situation. I do congradulate them, though at the same time I'm saying, who cares? People get married everyday, sure, but why do these rich people get so much attention and publicity all because they tied the knot? There are many people out there who have had beautiful weddings, and the bride had on a beautiful dress just as they did, but does anyone else even care about them? No. So why should we waste our time watching these people get married? It's no different than anyone else in my opinion. I guess it is whatever floats their boat. People have different opinions, but hey, not many people really care.

I do give kudos to the thread starter for bringing up something that excited them, and there was no doubt in my mind that there was going to be a thread about this here, but I'm honestly tired of seeing it EVERYWHERE! In my opinion, it does not deserve that much attention.

23. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Ahh, as usual I'm late to the party! But then I just only now got home from Seattle...so anyway...I really like Harry too. He'd be a terrible boyfriend, you can tell with those lust-driven eyes of his, ha, but there's this really wicked way that he has that is very hot. I loved the way he did like a full-body turn from the front of the church to look back at Kate. And I can only imagine what he must've said to William. It would have been something pretty cheeky. And then when she was finally at the altar, the way Harry sort of leaned a bit to the left to get a good look at her and smiled at what he saw. Loved it.

And speaking of love, I loved Kate's hair, the dainty tiara, and the paper-thin veil. And if I'm remembering correctly, I think her dress had a bit of the cut that her blue dress had. Such a cool classic cut, which is perfect for her figure. I think she was perfect in every way except for one--I think her teeth were stuck to her lips, you know, the way it happens when you're supremely nervous? She came off all cool and such, but I think it's because she had all of her nerves bundled up in her mouth area, ha. And her sister...oh my, I thought she was gorgeous in that glove-fitting dress (not sure what's up with me and my hyphenations tonight). Is that tan of hers for real, though? It looks like she must live in a tanning salon or something.

24. Jayyy1014

Jayyy1014 Jerrica Contributor

I'm glad to hear the news of anyone getting married, Cause I know they're truly happy. But, Personally I didn't watch them. I don't want to watch complete Strangers get married, hence, I didn't watch it. I still think though It was too much of a commotion Because that, is all i've been hearing about now for like forever haha. I'm glad they're married now. :) lol, But I'm happy for them.

25. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

I watched the wedding on TV. Loved it.

They are a couple that are obviously in love with each other - that was the real magic of the day.

A handsome groom in scarlet uniform, a beautiful bride, the dress, the gossamer veil, the balcony kiss (correction kisses), the pomp and ceremony, tradition all combined to make this the wedding of the year if not the 21st century.

But what no one as mentioned is the multitude of people - how well behaved, orderly and friendly they were.

I doff my hat to the police, how they controlled the tens of thousands of well wishers along The Mall, they made sure there was no sudden surge of people rushing to Buck House for to get the best positions in front of the balcony, there by avoiding any unnecessary stampede that may have cause a nasty accident.