Winding Down after Writing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Tobinobin, Jun 9, 2009.

1. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Interesting subject...kinda makes me laugh because it's a daily struggle for me.

I don't want to "wind down" when I'm working on a book. On the contrary, I want to "wind up" everything else that interferes with writing so I can get back to the book. Last weekend, I worked twenty hours in my office preparing illustrations and presentations for clients this week. Got home at 10:30 Sunday night. The whole time, my mind kept drifting back to the manuscript that is almost complete. Yeah, I got my work done, and will have happy clients this week, but I can't wait to get past this period of heavy business demand so I can get back to writing. I never want to "wind down"...I'd much rather retire from "work"...LOL

2. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

Yeah. That's my thought, too. When I'm not writing on my computer, I'm writing on paper, or in my head. I work out concepts, ideas, and various sticking points in my ms. (Right now I'm dragging my feet because I have to kill off a totally innocent character, which will break many hearts, mine being the only actually beating one. It takes its toll.) But I consciously work on those things even when not at the keyboard. Even now, as I write this, I find my mind wandering to the characters in that story and tweaking events and character emotions and reactions.

I find writing as vital to my survival as water for my thirst or blood in my veins. The only time I can't cope with life is when I can't write (and that is a terribly self-sustaining vicious cycle!)

Wind down from writing? Can't do it. Won't go there.

3. vinniram

vinniram New Member

heh, I feel better now. I guess I will just give in to immersing myself.

I like what you said though, Bluebell. It's important to have a moment-to-moment awareness at certain times, and I find that very important (I practice mindfulness). I think I just need to find a good balance - times when I can just think over my story, and other times when I need to bring my attention back to the breath, and the present moment.

4. DvnMrtn

DvnMrtn Active Member

When I write I usually go on a typing binge and finally pass out around 4 am. So for me this isn't a problem :p Although I think it's GOOD that you think about it more. Shows your passionate about it :)

5. thewordsmith

Go with that. Enjoy the ride!

6. Norm

Norm New Member

I have a very mind numbing job during which I always let me imagination go and ideas for current projects run through my head for extensive periods of time until interrupted by maybe a co-worker asking what my problem is - mumbling dialog to myself.

7. writewizard

writewizard New Member

I think I do. I finish a huge piece of work then take a mental break and wait until my mind wraps up in a new story. Or rather I try and dream up ideas to create a new story.

8. Jaybrownuk

Jaybrownuk New Member

After a long writing session i go to do things like play some Xbox, watch some TV or a film. However when i start to focus on something else i get a sudden idea that i want to incorporate into the story or a line of dialogue that sounds better than what i have somewhere. It can get annoying at times.

9. Twisted Inversely

Twisted Inversely New Member

My imagination. But I drop by the real world for m
    Happens to me to, but the way I figure it, this is a good thing. It means I have something to write about next time.

10. InkDream

InkDream Active Member

I can't just turn it off. A pause button would be really nice because it seems that I get most of my best ideas when I'm at work and unable to write or even scribble something down. Usually when I finish writing though, it's either because I've hit a wall and need to do something else for a while anyways or because I have some sort of time constraint. I usually distract myself a while by reading something else or making a phone call or really anything else that is mentally engaging. When I am bored or restless my mind wanders (probably why all my good stuff comes to me at work.)

11. cboatsman

cboatsman New Member

It has been said by many authors that to be successful in writing you must be passionate. If you believe in this, then there really isn't a "winding down" process after writing. Your characters live and breathe with you. When you sit and eat breakfast in the morning you will find your characters there with you eating as well. You will find yourself discussing an event which happened in their lives despite what you may be doing at the time because your characters will not let you rest.

The question at hand is do you ignore this inspiration, or do you welcome it. Finding inspiration in those other areas of your life is not something to be considered as annoying or inconvenient. It is a sign of your passion for writing and should be smiled upon. After all, if we didn't want to write then why would we be here?

The best advice I have received for handling this random inspiration is to constantly keep a small note pad and pen with you at all times. This way when you get these jolts of creativity you will be prepared to write them down so you can use them later in your writing. You won't need to run to your computer or writing medium every single time you have a new idea, and you can rest easy knowing that your inspiration is now preserved so you may move on with your current activity.

Just like your car keys during your morning rush, inspiration is found in the most unlikely of places.

Caleb

12. Sillraaia

Sillraaia New Member

Just a question, maybe rhetorical - why would you want to wind down? Why would you want to step away from your story? Do you dislike it?

I couldn't write a story with a horror theme for the exact reason that once I start a story, I am so immersed in it that it does not leave my mind for a moment. Of course, I am present (most of the time) for the conversations of those around me, but my characters follow me around, and my mind is always searching for a better way for things to happen, or for a better twist in the plot.
    And I love it.
    My husband said when I am writing a book, I am overall happier, and don't get as upset by things; like children that have been unnaturally moody, and spend the day screaming and crying for this reason or that... heh.

For me, that is part of what is fun about writing - the immersion, the escape - the outlet. If I am not feeling it, if I am not that far into it, my work feels empty to me, to the point where it isn't fun, and I don't care for it at all.
    If I COULD disconnect from my writing works like that, I couldn't spark all the excitement / creativity that is required when I sit down to write again. There is no on/off switch, and if you WERE to turn yourself 'off', you wouldn't enjoy doing it as much, even if you could get yourself back into it again, the moment(s) will have passed, for it is that passion that drives you onward, to finish the story, or to make it the best it can be.

Be careful what you wish for. :)

13. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

It doesn't help that I write about subjects that are important to me. I simply don't abandon my writing. Sometimes I think that my characters have their own conversations in my head (but I can't hear them ;)). I can think that one thing is best for a character, then the other character persuades me to do something through their dialogue (I usually let their voice do the talking), and I often have to change my plans for a part of the book. They're the ones that propose most good ideas. It's a good thing that I created them, or they'd buy the publishing rights, as well.

14. thewordsmith

Hah! Love it! I have people staring at me in heavy traffic because I have been know to carry on 'conversations' between characters while I'm driving. You know, when someone catches your eye, they think you're ready for a long-sleeved, wrap-around jacket! Just ignore them and keep on talkin'. They have no imagination!

15. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

With the advent of Blue Tooth, people no longer think I'm certifiably nuts when I act out full-blown character conversations while driving alone. Thank you, Blue Tooth! LOL

16. cboatsman

cboatsman New Member

Haha. This is awesome. :)

Caleb

17. vinniram

vinniram New Member

it's lucky to be able to engage with the plot and characters like this - that's what you guys've made me realize. I love the escape, I really do. It was just in the early days of my novel, around 20 000-word mark, the plot issues were causing me a real headache. I took a break, made a fresh start, and worked out a rough plot outline. Now I feel like I can think about my novel and escape into the story without it becoming a headache. There are lots of problems with it, plot holes, me not knowing enough about the day-to-day activities of a structural engineer and yet having my MC work on a building site as one, but these can be resolved in time. Of that, I am confident.

45,000 words into my novel, and no signs of stopping :) I have officially overtaken my longest attempt to date at a novel - 30,000 words of absolute rubbish I wrote at the age of 13, simply for the sake of a long book. This time, though, the story feels alive to me. It's exhilarating :D

18. ronmatt

ronmatt New Member

The 'rush' you get from creativity is difficult, at best, to describe to people whom aren't creative. As is true for the obsession.

I suggest you keep the flow going, just redirect it. I write..I have a studio that is 'my space'. In my studio I have my computer(s) I have a Roland GW8 keyboard workstation interfacing the computer. I have an easel on which an oil painting is always in progress. I have the Adobe CS4 creative suite on the computer as well as Flash and SwishMax for animation and some 3d software. In my basement I have a pretty complete wood shop ( I build cabin and cowboy furniture ). I have a Nikon D50 always with me.

My point here is this..if you keep the tools for various mediums of creativity around you, you'll never have the need to 'come down'. You just 'flow' from one to the other. you'll discover ways to merge one into another. Plus, you'll never be bored.