Tags:
  1. Gannon

Gannon Contributing Member Contributor

Winner Dr. Doctor Short Story Contest 39: Armageddon

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Short Story Contest Archives' started by Gannon, Mar 9, 2009.

Dr. Doctor - In The Arms Of Armageddon

Hey, are you awake?

I wanted to show you something.

Of course you’re not awake, but I’m writing to you anyway, just because it’s the only thing that keeps me sane. So, yes, I wanted to show you something. It’s an emerald brooch, and it reminds me so much of the one I bought you that night, when we went to see the movie. It was so cold that night. I remember you clung to me so rigidly, and it made me feel like a man, because all I wanted to do was protect you. This brooch I found in a pile of old debris, and it reminded me of you again, and I had to come up here and tell you about it. Maybe some sad old lady dropped this as the world fell down around her. Maybe some other doe-eyed college kid bought it for his own girlfriend, and now they’ve forgotten it, long gone in the chaos of these harrowing times.

I think I’m just writing this because remembering the good times is better than talking about right now, but I don’t want to do that, because maybe someday you’ll wake up and read all this.

So I should talk a little about what’s going on right now.

The world is in chaos now. The economy has gone to shambles, and I don’t mean the loss of jobs or the gas prices rising that you might remember from when you were awake. Everything’s gone to the wolves. It all started as a bunch of morons spending money they didn’t have, and now look at us all. We barely even remember what it was like to have money, and even when we do find some, it’s useless, anyway. Just yesterday, the President declared his vacancy. He can’t take it anymore, and who can blame him? Nobody knows what to do these days. People have called this Armageddon, but I don’t think there is anything religious about this.

Even just when I was trying to get here, I had to fend off a couple of muggers. They wanted my wallet. Most people have already given into the muggers, just to keep their lives, but me, I don’t see a point in setting my sights so low. I’m trying to fight back, but God, it’s hard. Even the muggers have sad eyes.

I haven’t eaten properly in almost a month. I’m honestly pretty surprised that they still have the IVs up and running. They even have electricity on most days. I wish you could see the way they’re soldiering through this; providing shelter the best they can for anyone who needs it, providing any food they can get. It’s like a stronghold. The doctors are so dedicated that it makes me ashamed; why didn’t I do more to prevent you from getting like this? I should have seen the signs from a mile away; your headache, and the way you needed so much more sleep. I’m sorry, baby.

Remember the old theater? Cathedral Cinemas, it was called? We went to see our last movie there, and you laughed with me the whole night. You shared a kiss with me right outside its doors. Well, it’s gone now. The gangs overtook it last week. They rule the streets now; it’s a dog-eat-dog world. Nothing is safe anymore. They’re getting more reckless these days; not even waiting for people to come outside to attack them. I’m lucky I made it in here alive.

I’m just glad they can’t get their hands on you. You look so beautiful, you know. Even now, as you’re just lying there in your coma. Your hair is straight, and your skin is so soft. If not for the IV stuck in your arm and the mask over your mouth and nose, I’d swear you were just taking a nap.

And maybe someday that’s all it will be. Maybe you still have a chance of waking up. The doctors, bless their hearts, say you’re doing alright. If you ever do wake up, just remember that my home is always open to you. And if that doesn’t work out, try our little secret place out by the beach. Nobody has discovered that yet. Remember that you have to be aggressive and assertive, being nice won’t get you anywhere in this new world. Don’t ask for food; just take it, because if you don’t, someone else will get to it before you. Don’t look anyone in the eye until you’re sure they don’t carry any sort of malicious intent. Don’t ever assume anyone isn’t carrying malicious intent.

God, I just hope I’m still here when you wake up. Or anyone, for that matter. I don’t want you to wake up to find the world gone. I don’t want you to wake up and find yourself the last person alive. But I’ll keep you alive as long as I can. For now, I’m going to walk back into the arms of Armageddon, because it is the only thing left. I’m going to stay strong, for me and for you, and I promise I’ll be back soon to write more.

I’m going to leave the brooch right here beside your bed, on top of this letter. I hope you like it. Good night, and I love you.

2. Mcarpenter

Mcarpenter Contributing Member

Congratulations. Good story. Endearing and intriguing. I half way expected it to end with her awake reading this letter with him nowhere in sight and wondering what to do next.

Great job!

3. Phantasmal Reality

Phantasmal Reality Contributing Member

Good story! Congratulations. :)

4. Vergil

Vergil Member

Good story - I learned a lot about what was wrong with my one from this.

5. Dr. Doctor

Dr. Doctor Contributing Member

I like that idea too...

Thanks, all! Maybe now I can get some more inspiration to write after this vague 3 day sickness I've had lately.

6. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributing Member Contributor

Good read.

7. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Very deserving winner, I quite liked your story.

8. jack_is_cool

jack_is_cool Member

Great read. Actually reminded me a little of the opening of Ayn Rand's "Atlus Shrugged".