1. Gannon

Gannon Contributing Member Contributor

Winner -oz Short Story Contest 85: Step Into A Picture

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Short Story Contest Archives' started by Gannon, Feb 14, 2011.

-oz - Colorant

The first thing I can recall is swirling around with my other companions, all swishing and swimming about in this sea of blue. We were all having a good time while it lasted, but the tilt-a-whirl we were in only lasted a minute or two. The next couple hours were excruciatingly boring.

It wasn't very boring once the Intruder violated our home a few hours later. It plunged into our home, sticking a few of my companions with its barbs and bristles and lifting itself out, heedless to their screams of torture and fear. Shocked, I swam closer to the top, trying to figure this enigma out.

I didn't have to wait for very long. It returned, a few of my nervous friends still clinging to it for dear life. I started to swim back down, but the current shoved me backwards, right towards the Intruder! I coalesced with a few of my companions, and we began to move again, still stuck to the Intruder.

If I wasn't terrified for my life, I would have probably enjoyed the ride. It was an amazing feeling, flying through the air, like swimming, but without the company of the continuous sea of friends around you. The ride ended as abruptly as almost everything else did that day. I was scraped off of the Intruder onto a rough plate, right on the edge of my companions and the vast emptiness that was space. We were suddenly a long way from home.

I began to curse the Intruder, my luck, my fearful companions, and the stupid tilt-a-whirl that started the day off. I had quite the profane mind when it got all spun up. All of this changed with the Finger of God.

This particular Finger of God was gigantic, like the Intruder, but did not have the bristles that had formerly attacked us. Instead, it was a smooth, rounded surface. On it was the most beautiful color I had ever seen.

She was yellow, a natural, gorgeous match. I instantly fell in love. How could a blue guy like me possibly get her attention? Thankfully, the Finger of God did the matchmaking for us. With a little swirl, we coalesced and became one. Being attacked by the Intruder again made little difference to us, flying through the air again only enhanced our private flight.

Now, we are drying on a canvas. One of our neighbors commended us for being the perfect shade for grass in a park, something about being in a picture-perfect painting. I personally believe he's green with envy, being stuck in the shade of a tree while we're in the sunlight. I'd rather be mixed with her, my yellow bride, and drying, than left in the sea of blue I came from. The two of us must make up the very best, because the saying came true: Only the good dry young.

2. -oz

-oz Active Member

Awesome! I'm flattered, thanks everyone!

3. Chudz

Chudz Contributing Member

Congrats!

4. jaywriting

jaywriting Member

I really liked this one. I must admit I was struggling with it at first. Is this sci fi? It's all a bit abstract and wierd. This Intruder sounds worrying. But it was interesting enough to keep reading, as my brain started to suspect this was not what it seemed.

The twist is great and justifies everything before it. I also loved the terrible pun at the end. Anything that can make me laugh and groan at the same time definately gets the vote :D

5. Tessie

Tessie Contributing Member Contributor

Congrats, oz. :)

6. tristan.n

tristan.n Active Member

Congratulations! :)

7. -oz

-oz Active Member

Thanks, everyone! Thanks for the laugh, jaywriting!