1. Gannon

Gannon Contributing Member Contributor

Winner stephenwdennis Short Story Contest (55): - The Rebel Fairy

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Short Story Contest Archives' started by Gannon, Nov 20, 2009.

stephenwdennis - The Rebel Fairy

“Any last words?” the old guard asked me.

I couldn’t help but to let out a grin. I couldn’t see their faces behind the two-way mirror, but I’m sure that infuriated them even more. Good. Let them be angry. Let them lust for my blood.

I bet they thought I’d beg for mercy. I bet they thought I’d show fear. Truth is, I am afraid — but I ain’t about to give them the satisfaction. No way. I’m too close to give it all up now.

You see, for those of you stuck in Neverland for the past two decades, I am the one they call Jack, the leader of the resistance, the rebel fairy. They tried to silence me, they tried to control me, they tried to buy me off — but this horse was meant to run free.

“How’d you get so angry?” they used to ask me.

“I’m not angry,” I’d say. “I’m alive.”

Funny, the looks I’d get. You see it all started about twenty years ago, when I got my first assignment — doe-eyed rookie, out to change the world. I get dropped in on this little girl. She goes on and on about this thing she wants, and that thing she wants. It was quite shocking to me really, cause I was looking around this little girl’s room and, to me, she already had everything: Barbie’s Dream House, My Little Pony, TV, VCR, Easy Bake Oven — you name it.

So I looked up at her and I says, “What you need all this for?”

Well, I was back on the yo-yo string up to the council before the tantrum had even started. “We don’t ask why,” they told me.

So this goes on for about another year or so — they send me down, they bring me right back up. “Attitude problem,” they says. “Not fit to serve.”

But all I wanna know is, why do we keep getting sent down to these fussy little rich girls when there’s poor kids with not enough to eat on the other side of the town? Nobody’s got an answer for me.

They don’t wanna deal with me anymore though. They ship me off to some godforsaken children’s book — an extra among extras. They hoped that would shut me up. Big mistake.

You see, when they stuck me with all the other “rejected” fairies, I found I had brothers. Getting them to join me was easy. Hell, I don’t know, maybe I joined them.

Anyway, we started off small — ruining some little rich girl’s birthday, buzzing around in the Queen’s ear. But it wasn’t enough. We needed to go big.

That’s when we decided to start hitting the council where it hurt. We started infiltrating into their new recruits — get in their heads before the council could. Pretty soon, temper tantrums were being raised all through the Western Hemisphere.

The council, they didn’t know what to do. Fairies had never stood up for themselves before. Fairies had never asked “why”. So they decided we should have a “meeting”, if that’s what you wanna call it. My lieutenants, they didn’t want me to go. But I couldn’t be afraid. I had to go; I had to see them face to face.

So I get to their “meeting”, and would you believe it, those suckers tried to buy me off. They didn’t understand me or the resistance at all. We never cared about money, or power — we wanted to shake up the money, shake up the power — we wanted change.

See, the council could never understand that. The world’s changed man. But the council, they’re stuck in their little box, in their own little world. I told them as much. And when I tried to leave their little “meeting”, they weren’t having it. They tried to stop me; they tried to take my wings. But I got out of there. Yeah, sure, they got one of my wings, but I still got the other one — and that’s all I need.

After the “meeting”, things got intense. It was open war between the resistance and the council. Who’d have thought it? They preached about love and peace and happiness, yet here they were, going to war over a difference of opinion. Funny how folks can justify just about anything to get what they want.

Hell, I don’t know, maybe you could say the same thing about us. Maybe we never should’ve gone to war. Heh, maybe I am gettin soft. But I tell ya, nothing would have ever changed if we weren’t willing to fight for it.

So no, I can’t see them behind that mirror, but I know they’re seething. Maybe that was all I needed to do — to strip away the mask, to show them for what they truly are. They’ll stop at nothing for their power, so now those “happy, peace-loving” fairies are gonna fry me. Let them! Let them show their true colors.

So I look up at the old guard and I tell him, “I am Jack’s happy ending.”

“Huh?” he says back to me.

“Hurry up,” I grin into the mirror.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt!

2. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributing Member Contributor

Congrats on a great story! I hope your day goes better than your protagonist's :)

3. InkDream

InkDream Senior Member

Great job. I especially enjoyed the "I am Jack's happy ending" line. It made me laugh out loud.

4. stephenwdennis

stephenwdennis New Member

Cool, thanks guys. :)

5. Atari

Atari Active Member

Congratulations! You deserve as many congratulations as possible, since you will not be receiving any other rewards. ^_~*

6. way2go

way2go New Member

Congratulations, well done :)