1. Gannon

Gannon Contributing Member Contributor

Winner xXx Heather xXx Short Story Contest (16) - Theme: New Year / Resolutions

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Short Story Contest Archives' started by Gannon, Jan 24, 2008.

xXx heather xXx - Resolutions my Ar*e (1086 words)

I hate New Years Eve. I just don’t see the point. And New Years Day. It is just a night and a day to go out, get smashed then make lots of promises, otherwise know as resolutions, which we will never keep.

“This yea I want to stop drinking so much.”
    “I’m going to start saving the planet.”
    “I intend to get out of debt this year.”

Yea, they seem like a good idea to begin with, but intending to do something is a whole world apart from actually doing something. I remember when I was little and I set myself a few resolutions. One of them was to stop picking my nose. Yea, that lasted long. No, New Years Eve is just a waste of time. A night for the drunk to think they had a blast and the sober to realise that they have spent yet another year doing f**k all.

This New Years Eve I was planning on sitting at home, not doing anything. I had a bottle of red wine specially picked out, an expensive box of chocolates and Titanic hired from Blockbuster. I had my pink fluffy dressing gown wrapped tight around my body, hiding my stomach from site as I was carrying a little extra Christmas weight. There you go, if you want a resolution, I will lose some weight this year. A couple of pounds, which should be easy.

So, I was half way through Titanic, at the part where Rose and Jack sleep together in the car, when the phone rang. I begrudgingly paused the DVD and answered the phone to hear one of my mates slurring down the line.

“Where are you Kel, I need you,” Lisa managed to say after a few attempts. She sounded like she had been crying.

“What’s wrong like chick?”

“It’s Jason. I saw him getting off with some slag. San you come and pick me up, please? I’m down town, near Zanzibar.” I told her I would and put down the phone. An empty wine bottle stood next to the phone; I had drunk the whole bottle and hadn’t realised. Still, I felt fine and so went to get dressed. I don’t know why it is that I always end up cleaning up after my mates. One of them gets sad and I’m there. Someone needs a life and I jump in the car. My resolution for next year is to learn to say no to them, spend more time with myself. That’s what I’ll do next year.

I had managed to drive all the way down town without hitting any red lights, which I was very surprised about. There was one that as slightly amber but I drove a little faster to get through. In the town centre I jumped from the car and weaved through the crowds searching for Lisa. She was standing in a bus shelter. Her make-up was dripping down her face and her boobs were popping out all over the place in the skimpy little top she had on. I thought about the sort of outfits I wore when I went out on the p**s. Skirts short enough to be belts, tops with slits right down the middle. The more skin you showed the better you looked had always been my prophecy. Now, looking at Lisa in her drunken, slaggy state I realised just how horrible I looked when I went out. That is when I decided, I was not to go out dressed like that any more next year. It’ll be my resolution, to dress more modestly.

Half way home and I still hadn’t hit any red lights. Until now. The light ahead had just flicked from amber to bright red and I was devastated. I was trying to keep my run up, once you hit one red they all suddenly start turning the colour of the devil. Still, my speed remained high at 66mph. Wasn’t this a 40mph zone? Either way I decided I would jump the light, I mean; no-one else was around so it wasn’t doing any harm. It sped past the light and smashed into the side of something. A car! Everything was silent, despite the radio blasting at volume 27. I lifted my head and saw the widescreen had completely smashed. I looked into the side window of the car we had hit and saw a couple sitting in the front. The man that was driving has his head handing out of the window, falling onto our car bonnet in an unusual position. I amazed me that his neck could bend that way. The lady’s head rested against the dashboard, a net of jet black hair covering her face.

I am never going to skip the light again. Never ever. And I’ll never drink drive, it is stupid. I thought I’d only had a little bit. My New Years resolution is to never skip the lights. And never drink again. Or drink drive. I couldn’t think straight; my head felt like it was crushed and I suddenly remembered about Lisa. I glanced towards her but turning my head in her direction made my eyes sting from the pain.

“Lisa? Lisa, are you ok? Lisa?” Forcing past the pain I looked towards Lisa’s seat but it was empty. Confused and in pain, I tried to look behind me, to the left, the right, all directions. That’s when I saw Lisa lying upon the bonnet of the other car. Her bare legs hung upon the front and her body disappeared off the other side. She must not have been wearing her seat belt. I should have noticed, I should have made her wear it. My News Resolution is to check everyone is wearing their seatbelt when they are in my car, I will check every single time.

The problem with resolutions is that you always make them too late. You promise to lose weight after you have gotten fat. You promise to stop drinking after you have developed cirrhosis and became an alcoholic. You decide never to skip the lights again after you did it once and smashed into a car and killed the couple driving it. You say you’ll never drink any more after your drunk mate was flown from a car (doing what turned out to be 75mph) and also died. You promise to check everyone is wearing a seat belt in your car because it was the only thing that saved your life.

Yea, New Year Resolutions are s**t.

2. Shreyass

Shreyass Senior Member

Congratulations Heather :D. We need more people to vote next time though.

3. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributing Member Contributor

Hehe, aye, not many is there. :p

Thanks for the congrats, and the other two entries were immense. :)

4. Hulk

Hulk Banned

Congrats, Heather. Pretty nice piece of work.

5. wordwizard

wordwizard Contributing Member

hurray heather!
    Well done