1. Gannon

Gannon Contributing Member Contributor

Winners Short Story Contest 20 - Inspired by Song Lyrics

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Short Story Contest Archives' started by Gannon, Mar 19, 2008.

Congratulations shared go to bicker and Baywriter for their excellent pieces stickied until next time's winner.

2. Gannon

bicker - The Middle

The Middle - Inspired by the Jimmy Eat World song of the same name.

I never thought Mummy loved me as much as my brothers and sisters. Mark's the oldest and Mummy always gushes about how inquisitive he is or brags about how much he loves butterflies. Blah blah blah. Who cares about butterflies? Next is John, Mark's younger twin. Whenever we're out, Mummy pinches his cheeks and squeals about how cute John's smile is. She's right, though. He's really good with the babies, too. Josephine and Mary are the youngest. Josephine always tattles on me when I pick on her and Mummy never takes my side: "Leave your little sister alone!" Everyone loves Mary – the baby with the bluest eyes you ever saw. And then there's me.

-----

Hey, don't write yourself off yet.
    It's only in your head you feel left out or looked down on.
    Just try your best, try everything you can.
    And don't you worry what they tell themselves when you're away.

-----

I never thought Mummy loved me as much as my brothers and sisters. "Oh, Gretchen – she's our little tomboy," or "Don't worry about Gretchen, she's always bumping into things," or "Gretchen, come help Mummy please!" I always have to help with the chores. Stupid chores! And what kind of name is 'Gretchen' for a little girl anyway!?

-----

It just takes some time, little girl; you're in the middle of the ride.
    Everything will be just fine, everything will be alright.
    Hey, you know they're all the same.
    You know you're doing better on your own, so don't buy in.
    Live right now. Yeah, just be yourself.
    It doesn't matter if it's good enough for someone else.
    -----

I never thought Mummy loved me as much as my brothers and sisters. "Mark, go play with your brother," or "Josephine, take the baby outside," and "Gretchen, leave your little sister alone," and "Gretchen, come help Mummy please!" Stupid tattle-tale! Stupid chores! Stupid name! I always have to play by myself.

-----

-----

It's bath time and Daddy's coming home from work soon. Mummy likes to have us cleaned up before dinner. The twins always get to go first, since they're the oldest. Mummy says, "Boys need more hot water because they're so dirty." Stupid boys! Josephine and Mary are next. Mommy says, "The babies might get scalded if they go first and might catch cold if they go last." Stupid cold water! My bath is always last! I never thought Mummy loved me as much as my brothers and sisters.

-----

Hey, don't write yourself off yet.
    It's only in your head you feel left out or looked down on.
    Just do your best, do everything you can.
    And don't you worry what the bitter hearts are gonna say.

-----

"Gretchen, come help Mummy please!" Stupid bath! "Honey, come quick! Help me with the babies!" Stupid chores!

"Mummy, why's everyone sleeping on the floor?" Mark, John, Josephine, and Mary looked cold lying on the tiles. Their lips were blue.

"I love you so much, Gretchen. You were always my favorite." She held me under the water until I fell asleep too. I never thought Mummy loved me as much as my brothers and sisters….until today.

----

3. Gannon

Baywriter - Sleep

Sleep - Inspired by Eric Whitacre's song of the same name.

I heard my blood crying and I let my forehead hit the mirror, my breath laboring through my bitten lips as I glanced down at my arm. It was draped in scarlet velvet that streamed over my wrists like the wet sky that pattered my window outside. Placing my blade on the sink, I let myself fall to my knees, the cool tile floor kissing my skin bitterly. The pain, it was beautiful, two stars making love against the navy sheet of night, flames slapping my flesh feverishly. I was dying. I was glad.

“**** it . . . **** all this . . .” I muttered unevenly, my head falling back. Dead, he was dead, asleep beneath tilled ground, taken by shadows. My breath stopped with his, and I knew it was time suffocate. Because it was yesterday—yesterday he was alive, writing my Christmas card, grabbing his gun. I stopped myself. “I can’t think about it,” I stammered out, my body quaking furiously. “I just need to sleep.”

Sleep. I couldn’t stifle my laughter. ****ing euphemisms. Pretty words meant nothing to the splintered soul, nothing but pain, just like everything else. My father was dead, and I couldn’t run from it. My head felt numb as I let my body slink to the floor, tracing my fingertips over the surface. Round and round. Just like everything else. There was no end to this brutal “circle of life,” so sturdy, without a crack. The Lion King made it look so damn easy.

“Dad . . .” My voice was soft, eaten by tears. I buried my hands in between the dark strands of my hair, blood clutching it, and my fists began to clench. “Are you happy now? Goddamn it, Dad!” I grimaced. My wrist was throbbing, and the noises—those somber death songs—were at my ear. In that moment, I could remember everything, the letter written in eye-rain:

Daddy,

I’ve been sitting here for the longest time just trying to muster the strength to write that first word. “Daddy.” Yes, I’m your daughter. I’m not really sure if you actually understand that. I’ll be frank. You had sex with my MOTHER, and then I came along. But I am your lover. Remember those nights of passion? I let you **** me senselessly when Mom wasn’t around. I am your client. Oh, the drugs were so good. I couldn’t get enough. High after high. So good. But I am your daughter, DADDY.

There were twelve pages of cold screaming, but I wanted them back. I wanted to scream again: “I’m sorry! I take it all back! I didn’t mean it! I didn’t mean to . . . I never wanted you to die! Please! I’m so sorry!” But my voice was still echoing, and ink was still spilling from my lips. The words I carved that day were still breathing. My father was still dead.

But it wasn’t that bad before he was gone. I could remember the way he’d gently kiss my neck, my back pressed against his chest; and it was beautiful, so twisted, so disgusting, and so glorious. I let myself justify our sins, so why did I suddenly fight? I could’ve lived—he could’ve lived. But the minute I fought back, he decided he was too goddamn weak to stick it out.

“What the ****?” I screamed between teary gasps. “What the hell is your problem? I would’ve lived for you! I would’ve . . . Just let me take it back now!” I felt my voice growing weaker, and my vision began to cloud. I watched the blood on the floor blur into a dark blanket, smothering my body, fading, and fading some more. It was slow, but I let myself enjoy every second of it, the lullaby of my surrender to sleep.

4. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Congratulations to the winners. It's a deserved win for both of them!

5. Baywriter

Baywriter Contributing Member Contributor

Wow. Unexpected, but thanks. ^^ Gannon, do you mind putting the following passage in italics?

Sorry. It was totally bothering me.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Congratulations, bicker and Baywriter alike!

Baywriter, I went ahead and italicized that section for you. I also indented it - let me know if that isn't what you wanted.

7. Baywriter

Baywriter Contributing Member Contributor

That is, thanks. I think that's the way I had it when I submitted it.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Ahh, you're right. I just looked at the original submission.

9. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributing Member Contributor

Congratulations to both.

Baywriter - that was an extremely moving piece.