1. Witchymama

Witchymama Active Member

Witchymama's writing journal.

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Witchymama, Mar 11, 2016.

Ok, so here goes. I am finally giving life to characters that first came into my life 17 years ago. At the moment, I have what is either the first half of a short story/novella, or the first two, possibly three chapters of a novel. I haven't decided if I want to make it a series of short reads, or just one full length.
    It's a tough call.
    I'm dealing with a good bit of uncertainty about this endeavor. I haven't written anything in years, mostly because I felt guilty for taking time to do it. But I have decided that I am going to commit to this story. I am going to tell this one story as best I can, and just go from there.
    Onward and upward!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    minstrel likes this.
  2. Witchymama

Witchymama Active Member

Today's beginning word count 15,408. I started five days ago. I should have more, but I keep obsessing over little things. Details.
    I started with no written outline, and have let it just sort of flow. Today I think I may nail down the rest of the plot progression in a working outline. There is also a good bit of research I want to do before I continue.
    I don't want to sound completely ridiculous when explaining things like the massive forced evacuation from earth that I have alluded to in the first bit that I've written. Also want to brush up on some of the occult stuff that I will be using.

3. Witchymama

Witchymama Active Member

Word count at 18,260. I was able to get some good editing and rewording done today. I also nailed down some backstory for the two main characters. One of the passages that I wrote today actually gives me chills every time I read it. LOVE THAT!
    Feeling pretty good about the first week's work on this. By this time next week, I hope to have 35,000 words, although, knowing my ocd ass it will probably be more like 27k. It's not a race though. I don't mind taking my time and getting it right since I intend to self publish. Now I am off to make supper for my kiddoes and ol' man.

4. Wayjor Frippery

Wayjor Frippery Contributing Member

35k words in less than two weeks -- you're on fire! I'm happy if I get a third of that.

Good luck with the project!

Oscar Leigh and Witchymama like this.
  5. Witchymama

Witchymama Active Member

@Wayjor Frippery 35k is the goal. It is somewhat realistic, because at the moment I am writing full time. But it's not going to be easy. I will have to push myself to not get behind. The story has basically been "written" in my mind for years.

Wayjor Frippery likes this.
  6. Witchymama

Witchymama Active Member

I took the weekend off. Well, I say I took the weekend off, but I actually worked a little on some proofreading. Most of the weekend was spent "familiarizing" myself with the forum.
    An idea occurred to me last night, regarding Rheta, and how she is dealing with depression and addiction. I need to be accurate regarding these issues while still writing her as a strong, and dynamic protagonist.
    As such, I have decided to reach deep, and make it raw. It's a raw issue and if don't acknowledge with honesty the struggle of overcoming depression and addiction, then I don't deserve to write her story.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  7. Lew

Lew Contributing Member Contributor

I agree with Wajor Frippery, you are burning up the keyboard. You go, girl!

Sounds like you are a "pantser" when it comes to writing. In case you haven't heard the term (you probably have) that is one writes as you describe, letting it flow and letting the characters tell their own story. The planners, on the other hand, organize their story outline, make meticulous layouts of the setting and its history, and complete character backgrounds. And the two never seem to agree.

I am a "pantser" when it comes to fiction... I often write because I want to know what happens next. Sounds strange, but it works. In my day job, I do a lot of technical writing, which has gathered a good reputation for clarity and ease of understanding a huge volume of information on a military command and control system. For that writing I am a planner, writing the chapter and subchapter outlines first. So maybe my fun writing is a rebellion against that structure.

Anyway, great progress!

8. Witchymama

Witchymama Active Member

Thanks, Lew. I became familiar with the term over the weekend. I can't write any other way. I know that some people don't, or can't understand the concept, and to them I say:

"There are hundreds of paths up the mountain,
    all leading in the same direction,
    so it doesn’t matter which path you take.
    The only one wasting time is the one
    who runs around and around the mountain,
    telling everyone that his or her path is wrong."

Hindu teaching

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  9. Lew

Ultimately write the way it feels best for you. One of the nice things about "pantsing" is that the details on your characters merge as needed. So your characters will evolve, and the readers wind up wondering what new thing that will discover about them. With full-blown character sketches, it is easy to reveal too much about them too soon

10. Lew

Oops, and that should have been "emerge" not "merge"!

11. Witchymama

Witchymama Active Member

Deleted duplicate... More or less. Stupid tablet.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  12. Witchymama

Witchymama Active Member

Ah, Monday why do you hate me so? I only managed 1000 words today, so far. Between Monday cleanup, a sick child and daylight savings time, my day was pretty well occupied.
    I am hoping to get a little more done this evening, if I can. I've decided I need a prologue describing Rheta's unusual beginnings.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  13. Witchymama

Witchymama Active Member

Word count at 21,168. Keeping up momentum. The story is about to climax. The subplot thickens. We are in the midst of learning more about the conditions which brought the two main characters together. We have also gotten the first peak at main character 2's darker side, just a tiny hint.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  14. Lew

You motivated me to dust off the start of another historical fiction, got 5000 workds down in two days, so trying hard to match your pace....however I still have a day job that gets in the way

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  15. Witchymama

Witchymama Active Member

It's not a competition. I have the ability to write during the day, being a stay at home mom has it's advantages. I have been treating my writing as my day job. I tend to get more done that way.
    5000 words ain't too shabby in just a couple days.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  16. Witchymama

Witchymama Active Member

I had every intention of writing today but my allergies had other plans. Gonna have to take a sick day until the meds start working, and my earache is under control. Nothing like an earache to ruin a day.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  17. Witchymama

Witchymama Active Member

Worked from the tablet while nursing my poor ear today. Word count is at 22950, but I have the feeling that when I read today's work tomorrow it's going to be grade A junk. But I've now managed to introduce the MC's immediate family, and help further her addiction. she is also having some pretty amazing things happen with her talents. It's cruel I know, but in order for the addiction to mean something when she eventually breaks it, the stakes have to be high.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  18. Witchymama

Witchymama Active Member

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I did not make my goal. An allergy induced ear infection has monopolized my week. I am giving myself a pass on this one, but just this once. It's very difficult to write with acute ear pain.
    I have been brainstorming and mentally outlining the second world setting though, so I guess not a complete waste.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  19. Witchymama

Witchymama Active Member

Ok, so my ear is on the mend. I've been away, doing some spring time cleaning, and celebrating the equinox. I am ready to settle back into the story. Not ashamed to say that I have run into a little writers block. Hey, it happens. I think I will give the whole thing a re -read and maybe post some of it for critique.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  20. Lew

Keep up the good work! Waiting, waiting, waiting for editor to finish her work on The Eagle and Dragon. Meanwhile I am bringing up a website for myself, with details on that and other stories in work, and myself and Karen. Beta readers are a good source of reviews that you can post on your website. Working on trying to get my "like" and "share" icons to work!

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  21. Witchymama

Witchymama Active Member

Thanks Lew. I am in the process of branching out. I feel that I need to be doing something more than just working on the novella. I am trying to get into some freelance work. I just got on wordpress and am looking at several freelance and ghost writing opportunities. I am still working on the novella, but I am not going to rush it. Today I published my first 600 word article on my wordpress blog. I am going to try to write an article every day or at least every other day, as well as doing some short fiction and other such. Practice, practice, practice.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  22. Witchymama

Witchymama Active Member

Word count at 24106. I have been working towards tying up loose ends in the plot and tie seemingly separate stories together. I also write a couple of short articles. It's either getting easier, or the quality is slipping. Time to switch gears and give my brain a break.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  23. Witchymama

Witchymama Active Member

After serious consideration of the critiques the first chapter received, I have decided to switch the second chapter to the first chapter. The second chapter was backstory. The first chapter was the first chapter simply because that's where I initially started writing, and because of the first line. A very little bit of tweaking will be needed, but overall the flow of the story will be improved, I hope.
    Goals for today. Make the switch mentioned, and get to 30,000 words. Todays goal includes the first of several turning points that will move Rheta towards the overall resolution. It also includes her discovering the MC2 is not a nice guy at all.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  24. Witchymama

Witchymama Active Member

My technology hates me today. Can't seem to get my tablet or my laptop to cooperate. Grrrrrrr.

25. Lew

Ultimately did the same. I think, especially for us pantsers, the first chapter often is backstory just for us, but no matter, it is still important