With what OP do you like to write?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Link the Writer, May 3, 2015.

1. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

Good points. I guess I'm more used to typing on a computer so pen and paper are automatically more awkward. Not that I can't write, I just have terrible hand writing.

2. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Both computers and the old-style pen and paper have their advantages. I use both depending on circumstances and what I feel like at the moment. There is something about the feeling of lying down in the grass and scribbling away in a notebook that a computer simply cannot beat.

3. Komposten

Doesn't run out of memory? Where can I buy these infinite notebooks? :eek:

Also, another point to add to the list: Notebooks boot infinitely faster than any computer available. ;)

AlcoholicWolf likes this.
  4. Reilley Turner

Reilley Turner Active Member

At the nearest BEST BUY. :3

5. AlcoholicWolf

AlcoholicWolf Senior Member

Write smaller ;D

6. Reilley Turner

Reilley Turner Active Member

Aka change the font size :3

7. Komposten

I don't think my pen has a button for that. ;)

8. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor

On my PC. It boots faster than your notebook because I never switch it off :)

I use the PC because I am simultaneously surfing the net, writing on Goodreads, creating CGI art, editing photos and doing research for my novels as well as writing.

9. Komposten

The thing about a notebook is that you never have to switch it on. It works at full capacity anyway. ;)

10. Vrisnem

Vrisnem Member

Laptop. I've had my 15" Macbook Pro since April 2013. I take it out with me a lot and often write on trains - it just fits onto the little fold-down trays.

I intend to start using my iPad more for writing when I finally get around to buying a keyboard for it.

11. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

Not a few here I see advocate one form over the other. The pen is mightier than the Microsoft Word kinda thing. My order of preference for getting down ideas and narrative runs thusly like so: Evernote* on iPhone, rough jotter, Moleskine pad (only to used with 1920s gold-nibbed Parker pen). Final drafts of the aforementioned are a copied, pasted, typed up and refined combo of what's gone onto all those mediums. They settle as an 'Ulysses'* file that I'll ultimately export as a Word doc and mail to whatever publisher will (maybe one day) have them.

The use of the Moleskine by the way is not me trying to be pretentious; it's a tactic I employ to make me think carefully about the words I put down. I seem to take more care if there's a bit of a ceremony going on and I feel obliged to respect the media. Thinking I may be called wacko here.

* just note taking and writing software

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  12. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

I've got my macbook air, which is easy to carry around because it's so light. Advantage of writing on there is I'll have all my writing together. But, I also have tons of notebooks, because a. there's just something magical about writing on paper, and b. most times it's easier for me to be inspired if I use a notebook instead of my laptop.