Women, how do you flirt?

Discussion in 'Research' started by halisme, Dec 24, 2016.

1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Thing with this is that it only holds true if you are in an environment where there are more men than women (or if you are incredibly attractive and/or so provocatively dressed that you stand out from the crowd)

If you are in what Maverick in Top Gun describes as "a target rich environment" where there are lots of women basically in a style to be picked up you'd need to do something to indicate the guy of your choice that he should be talking to you, rather than any of the others

Simpson17866 and jim onion like this.
  2. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

But that just sounds really... sad. Like that guy has had so little to no female contact in his life that he doesn't realise women have interests other than men... or maybe the guy has such low self-esteem that he can't fathom why anyone would find him interesting unless she actually fancies him?

Mind you, I once attended a church where the men there freaked out if you so much as spoke to them. (all right, I exaggerate. But they were very stiff if you just wanted to strike up a casual conversation.) They just did not know what to do with the female species... In their defense, I was quite... socially unaware - I would ask anyone and everyone out to coffee, including guys lol. But yeah, the guys in that church, awkward...

Simpson17866 and BayView like this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Its an either/or in my experience - either hes a sad case with no female contact , or hes a total player unable to comprehend the idea of men and women being friends without sex.

Simpson17866, jim onion and Mckk like this.
  4. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

You flirt when you want to signal to the guy that you're romantically and/or sexually interested in them. It can be to initiate a more shallow rapport or a more serious relationship. You smile playfully, ask him questions to show interest, compliment him (he says he goes to the gym, you say it shows), maybe lead the conversation to naughtier waters, establish skin contact e.g. touch their forearm or hand, and if you're sitting and wear a blouse with a bit more generous neckline, lean forward, push/lift your front assets together with your arms (can't explain this very well but something I believe I did when I first met my now-husband). Of course, I was absolutely terrible, awkward and clumsy at this, imo anyway.

On a sidenote, I play with my hair when I'm nervous which made my hubby think I was flirting with this bank teller once. :bigmeh: I never got the playwithyourhair -thing, but like I said, I'm a clumsy flirt-er.

5. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

I'm the wrong person really buuuuut....
    According to my friends I flirt with everyone. I think this is because when I find something in common with someone I'll talk to them for hours on end about it, if I think someone is an interesting/cool person I'll do silly things with them and I'll laugh at anything remotely funny (also when I'm nervous I'll laugh too).
    I enjoy company, which is weird as those who know me will say I love going for long walks on my own and hate parties but what I enjoy is sitting quietly by someone, murmuring about random stuff and having the odd laugh.

Me actually flirting consists of; letting them come up with silly/cool/clever stuff (usually I'm very bossy), adopting the 'square' with my legs (one leg down, the other over to that knee), inquiring about their taste in music and books and finally, giving them some random endearment.
    I hope that helps a little.

A man called Valance likes this.
  6. jim onion

jim onion New Member

@big soft moose won the thread for me.

@Mckk That doesn't always have to be a sad thing. Sometimes it might just be ignorance.

---

I tend to be quite cold with people I don't know. Takes me a really long time to warm up to them (like starting a 1990s Ford truck in the dead of winter).

However, it depends on my mood sometimes, and what the environment is. On an online forum or something I'm pretty open with people I don't know. If I'm drunk / buzzed, I also don't really care.

By "cold", I don't mean I'm a jerk. I just keep you at a distance.

The reason I'm sharing this, is I don't chase after game. I let the hunt come to me. If a girl shows interest and is flirting with me, game on, tango spotted. But I don't go out of my way; I just do whatever I can within my power to attract, and that's good enough for me. Play it cool, and don't even try.

Yet, when I do see potential, and if I do like a girl, I give it 110%.

7. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Coupling, Season 1, Episode 2:

Sally: Patrick, what do you call people you go out with but don't try to sleep with?
    Patrick: Men?

BayView and jim onion like this.
  8. PenelopeWillow

PenelopeWillow Member

I flirt very unintentionally. I don't think I know how to intentionally flirt. If I like someone I will find myself making jokes with them or complimenting them. Honestly, this question has got me thinking about how I even do flirt.

jim onion likes this.
  9. jim onion

jim onion New Member

Sounds like me. Spooky lol.

10. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

With a few exceptions, every woman I've been close friends with for any length of time I've at least made out with. Sometimes it's years before it happens, but really, if you're already good friends and completely at ease with one another, sex should happen. This reminds me of the time my cousin from Canada was visiting, and... perhaps I'll leave that story for another thread.

11. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

It's sad in both cases, though... I mean, either way he's cutting himself off from interaction with almost 50% of the world's population (50% women minus the infinitesimal number of those women he'll sleep with).

If someone was unable to accept that black people could be interesting as human beings, we'd consider him pretty pathetic, right? It's just as pathetic when someone feels that way about women.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  12. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

You're kind of self-contradictory here - you "do whatever I can within my power to attract" but you also "don't even try"? I think maybe the key word is playing it cool - you act like you're not interested, but you are?

There was a line from some Cameron Crowe movie back in the '90s... A man approaches a woman and says, "Sorry, I don't have a line, I just thought maybe we could get to know each other," and she says, "You do have a line. Your line is that you 'don't have a line'", or something like that. (Typing "line" that many times in a row makes it look really weird!)

jim onion likes this.
  13. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Flirt? Geez. It's been a LONG time. So long I don't really remember specific techniques, if I ever had any.

I think if I wanted a guy to notice me and be attracted to me, I tried to be as interesting to him as possible in an honest way. (And tried to ensure I didn't have spinach stuck to my front teeth at the same time.) I didn't want to attract him for the wrong reasons, such as pretending interest in something I didn't actually care about, just to gain his attention. That gambit backfires very quickly.

I guess I wasn't much of a flirter. I always hoped the right guy would notice me, no matter what I did or what I looked like. Enough to get to know the real me. And that happened enough times that I stuck to the plan and let things evolve. I just tried to be myself, but also to be extra kind to him, and extra careful to notice HIM. There is nothing more pleasing than realising somebody else is paying close attention to what you do and what you say. Not in a creepy, stalky, unwanted way, but just in a person-to-person way. Everybody likes being noticed by people they like. And being respected and supported and listened to by people they like.

I never kidded myself. My face didn't scare children, but I also was never the kind of woman who sent men's hearts aflutter when I entered the room. I was always initially eclipsed by any good-looking women in my group. However, I think I'm the sort that can grow on you, if we are in tune.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    flawed personality likes this.
  14. Jaiden

Jaiden Member

Not that I don't think stalkers are dangerous, BUT...I find it interesting with so many people I know (mainly girls, but not always...and primarily during adolescence) that the difference between stalkery behaviour and flirtation can sometimes simply be that there is requited interest.

I think the main thing I've noticed occurring to me is a longer-than-usual gaze, followed by a smile, followed by looking away and immediately looking back with the same intensity.

15. big soft moose

No argument here, I have lots of female friends that I've never slept with or tried to. (including women with whom I've shared the same bed in a platonic manner).

16. big soft moose

The difference is a) the ability to approach her without being a creep about it and b) the ability to take no for an answer - pretty much every one will at some point hit on/chat up another person who isn't interested in his or her attentions, this is life. Its how you react when he/she says "thanks but no thanks" that seperates weirdo stalkers from the mainstream

jannert likes this.
  17. jannert

Yes, and there's always that 6th sense that tells you a person just isn't interested, or not interested 'that way.' It doesn't have to boil down to them saying anything at all. If you sense a lack of response or a wish to be parted from your company, back off. Let them make the next move. If they don't, then accept that it's not going to happen and move on.

18. big soft moose

Coming back to the OP

a) its not absolutely required to have UST between a male character and his female side kick - in fact it might be refreshing for readers for there to not be

b) if you don't want to write the flirting you could also develop tension by having them sleep together before the story opens , then the tension can build from one wants more one doesnt, one wants again one doesnt, neither wants more but thinks the other does or vice versa etc

Simpson17866 likes this.
  19. Jaiden

Jaiden Member

I see your point, but that isn't the situation I had in mind at all.

I have a friend who is confident and talkative and a genuinely lovely person who has no interest in pressing himself on people. However, when we talk to girls, they find him creepy because he's maybe not their type of attractive. Even without an approach, and not pressing for a 'yes' in the first place, they find him creepy and will tend to walk away or be uncomfortable. I've seen it in others, just not with such regularity. I see no other variable, except that she isn't interested, and believes him to be interested (even if not), and therefore extrapolates that as stalkery.

20. Jaiden

Jaiden Member

A simpler time perhaps, but I would not exist if persistence was a virtue my father lacked.

jannert likes this.
  21. big soft moose

Indeed and in a workplace or social environment that isn't a pick up bar my inclination would be to make the first contact ambiguous - such as "would you like to get coffee sometime ?" then when she tells me that actually she's got a boyfriend/girlfriend/isn't looking for a relationship or whatever its easy to back off without embarrassment , or to go down the "hey I know that i just thought you might like to hang out " route

jannert likes this.
  22. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

Ever feel like you opened a can of worms by asking a single question?

23. jannert

It's even better when you can come up with a good non-romantic reason for having the coffee. Something you've discovered that you've got in common that you might want to talk about, etc? I often ask people (male and female) to go for coffee whom I don't have any romantic interest in ...and we end up being friends, or not (as the case may be.)

24. big soft moose

Just slightly

Course if this were any other subject we'd be suggesting field research - you could just go out to your local bar and observe how women flirt ... you might even get some first hand experience ;)

25. big soft moose

I agree - although I have a freind who likes to go completely to the other end of the spectrum and walk up to women (in the street etc not just in pick up bars) and say stuff like "excuse me, i find you devastatingly attractive and was wondering if there was any chance you felt the same about me ?"

He gets told to f*ck off a lot, but he gets laid more often than your average guy too