1. Woof

Woof Contributing Member

Woof's Woes: Conversations with Myself

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Woof, Jun 5, 2015.

Let's give this a go...

I am presently wrangling:

• a folder full of poems that never seem finished and never get read
    • a similar number of short stories ranging c.3000-10,000: some mostly written, some part-way in, many just plotted
    • one children's novel, mostly finished; two halfway through
    • one dystopian novel, first draft finished
    • an ideas folder that's as large as that novel and is taking on a life of its own with a will greater than mine
    • one scatterbrain that seems unable to focus enough to complete anything
    Of that list, I guess the most pressing thing to address is choosing a few poems to try sending out, and getting the mostly-finished children's novel to a stage where I'm happy to release it into the wild.

What's going on right now: writing that last sentence has produced mild panic and raging self-doubt and criticism before I've even opened a file. Huh. Not helpful.

Solution: start small. Look at poetry first; it's been worked more and should need less time. Just half an hour, then break for Tai Chi class.

Nicoel, matwoolf and Masked Mole like this.
  2. Poziga

Poziga Contributing Member Contributor

I reeallyyyy like the name of the thread! :agreed:

Masterspeler, jannert and Woof like this.
  3. Woof

Woof Contributing Member

So far:
    • fixed taskbar problem in windows
    • received mouse-gift with inadequate grace to satisfy cat
    • made it to tai chi and failed to learn lots of things that all look like jazz-hands
    • had street-spat with woman/buggy/phone hybrid that thinks having children is a disability that qualifies her for special walking privileges
    • received compliment on thread-title with more grace than mouse-gift; cat similarly unimpressed
    • made tiny list of poems that I think I can possibly bear to loosen my grip on
    • read list back and wondered if I'm actually more normal than I think I am
    Research:

Link to table of (US) places that pay for poetry (via poetryhasvalue.com): http://poetryhasvalue.com/post/108645629158/journals-that-pay-for-poems-a-resource

List of UK poetry magazines to check: http://www.poetrylibrary.org.uk/magazines/magazines/

4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributing Member Contributor

No, it's having a 'phone that's the disability.

5. Mckk

Mckk Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I must say, your thread title would make a pretty cool book title I think :) maybe for your book of poetry?

6. Woof

Woof Contributing Member

I would agree phone-addiction almost qualifies, in that individuals can be persistently affected by it for more than a year. This one walked into me with her buggy though, and when I wasn't too happy about it told me that I should be more considerate cause she's got kids?! As though people can't have children and still be considerate, normal people, sheesh. She's definitely going in a story somewhere; a really recognisable character.

Except that would be so weird for me... nowhere else on earth do I know myself as Woof! :D

jannert likes this.
  7. Masked Mole

Masked Mole Contributing Member

I'll be very honest with you. I just wanted to have a post in this thread for the sake of slapping my name onto it. It seemed crucial in some way to be involved with the epic title. I have always admired your avatar as well. Good day.

Woof likes this.
  8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributing Member Contributor

Ben Elton was spot-on when he echoed my thoughts about "Back off - child on board" stickers. Like, it's allright to tailgate me, because I'm an adult and it won't be a loss to the world if I get totalled.

I actually came across a similar beauty on the train the other day..."get out of the way of my buggy", and then popping into the toilet for a quickie with someone who may, or may not, have been the father.

9. Mckk

Could be a new pseudonym :D

The woman walked into you with her buggy? Are you sure it wasn't an accident? Did she come from behind you or towards you?

I would say you should be a bit more forgiving, perhaps - manoeuvring a buggy is actually pretty difficult, and it's frigging heavy.

10. Woof

Woof Contributing Member

Hey Mister Mole!

Nice! Public transport can be grim; there's something about it that encourages people to push and shove and behave with a sense of entitlement that breeds from a feeling of anonymity, I think.

Modern buggies are pretty nifty! There are times to be forgiving, and times when people are just tools: she was coming straight towards me, really able-bodied and paying no attention whatsoever to anyone or anything. Pity the child if anyone, she's the one that will cop the worst in the end. Further down the road she walked out into traffic -- buggy first -- and expected it to stop. Actually expected traffic to stop for her. Anyway... like I said, she'll probably end up with a bit part in a book so not a total inconvenience.

Nicoel likes this.
  11. Masked Mole

Masked Mole Contributing Member

Writers' Revenge: We won't kill you, harm you, or steal from you. We'll just write you into our novels as the jerky characters.

Masterspeler, Mckk and Woof like this.
  12. Mckk

She may have been stressed, who knows what's going on with her? I'd be a tad bit more forgiving - it's not easy raising a baby and on almost no sleep every single night. Imagine something that poops and screams every 2 hours and you're alone with it the entire day, after not sleeping much at all, everyday like that. I don't doubt she could have been more careful, but perhaps be a bit more forgiving. You don't know until you have to deal with it one day.

I dunno. I say all this cus I'm expecting my first, and seriously, I'm terrified of pushing a gigantic buggy down the street and going up and down the trams and underground by myself. I've already resolved that I will not run for any tram lol - if I miss it, I'll just wait for the next one!

jannert likes this.
  13. Woof

Woof Contributing Member

Okay... well, I'm 99.9% sure she wasn't you, and I can tell when someone's being a jerk and when they've just made a mistake and/or are having a bad day/life/etc. Without turning this into the buggy story thread; trust me, she was being aggressive, and that's not excusable.

I'm sure you will be fine. The fact that you're thinking about it all so much means you give a toss, which is the most important thing whether raising or just transporting a child. If nothing else, trust that there is a world of marketing out there on your side that wants to help you get out of the house and about so you and Mckk jr can spend money! :)

jannert and Mckk like this.
  14. Mckk

Hahaha oh dear, that's true :confuzled:

Mckk Jr shall be called Abigail :love: and the husband is already asking if our second could be Isabel... :nosleep:The first one isn't even here yet!!! (he also picked Abi long before I was pregnant - seems like a habit of his to come up with names long before they're needed!)

15. Woof

Woof Contributing Member

Well you know how to foil that one? Get a pet in the interim and call it Izzy, then you absolutely can't use Isabel for your next child!

16. Mckk

Lol. I don't mind the name Isabel, as long as it's not spelt with a Z! And pet? Not a chance. All the pets I've ever had as a child died by my hands :bigfrown: I should never own a pet!

17. Woof

Woof Contributing Member

@Mckk [​IMG] Pet rock?

So... back to poems.

I have eight I'm going to try. Three are going to go in the Mslexia competition, five need submitting. One of those is for children and would fit Caterpillar.

First task tomorrow: send those four.

jannert and Mckk like this.
  18. Mckk

Aww thanks :D

But hey, I even managed to kill my tamagochi (that's a digital pet - was all the rage when it first came out when I was 10 lol) so... let's see how long the rock lasts! :supercheeky:

19. ladybird

ladybird Contributing Member

Writing lists to stay focused and achieve personal goals is a good idea. :D

20. Woof

Woof Contributing Member

I expect nothing less than giving it its own thread with daily updates and pictures! :pop:

Hi ladybird! And if I could get away with still writing them on the back of my hand, I would :supergrin:

Progress update:

No more even tiny boxes ticked yet. Derailed by having to wipe computer. Ugh. Spent free time yesterday backing up data, retrieving passwords, settings etc. Still disturbed by the image of updating my writing folder on my external HDD and noticing that the folder I deleted had 1600 files, whereas the one I replaced it with had 1472. I've probably just tidied up and forgotten, and I know I've not lost anything I'm working on, but still it triggers little alarm bells.

Goals for today: Well, I'm manacled to my partner's machine (with it's weird keyboard that has me hitting caps-lock all the time) until mine's all back to normal, and I can't act on any submissions until Monday at least while I wait for some details. So... suck it up and get on with something else: Finish Kate's epilogue today.

Mckk likes this.
  21. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

It already appears to be nervously perspiring.

Woof and Mckk like this.
  22. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

This is a fun thread.

Nicoel and Mckk like this.
  23. Woof

Woof Contributing Member

Hi jannert!

Way to put the pressure on! [​IMG]

Mckk likes this.
  24. Mckk

Hehehe love the cheeky fly!!

25. Woof

Woof Contributing Member

With much trepidation and technological intervention, three of my poems are now in the Mslexia poetry competition, and four of my children's ones have crawled off for consideration at The Caterpillar. Two more will be off by snailmail tomorrow to try the William Soutar Prize.

Eek!

Kate's epilogue is still unfinished, but Lila has been edited.

That's more progress than I would have otherwise made. :ghost:

Mckk likes this.