0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, stick to your legal name

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. sid_sm

sid_sm New Member

Should I use a pseudonym?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by sid_sm, Jan 3, 2014.

I'm a writer from India. I like writing stories based in US. Yes, that's right. Logically, I can't see it happening anywhere else(blame it on Hollywood and american television). My question is whether I should use a pseudonym instead of my real name. The thing is I want to be taken seriously and I'm hoping to find an agent/publisher in US to publish them. Let's admit it, it's likely to raise some prejudices from certain section of readers. They might think how a non-american is able to write stories set in america. I've heard that readers don't read certain genres of books if they are written by the wrong sex, e.g, men writing romances, women writing techno thrillers etc. I'm afraid that might extend to the ethnicity/nationality of the author as well.

1)Would it be okay if use my real name or should I use a pen name?
    2)How accepting are the readers in US when it comes to foreign authors writing tales set in america?
    3)Is is possible for me find a agent/publisher in US for my stories?(remember, i write stories set in US)
    Do answer all the questions, please.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  2. the1

the1 Active Member

I feel this is something that may be best left up to you. If you feel that using a pseudonym will give you a greater chance of being published then I would be inclined to use a pseudonym.

And of course it is possible for you to find an agent or publisher in the US for your stories granted that they are of quality.

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I can only give you my own experience and I have no idea if it applies widely or narrowly, the name of the author never comes into my decision to read or not read a book.

hvb likes this.
  4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...if your real name can be easily pronounced by english-speaking readers, it shouldn't make much, if any difference, as long as you write well enough to compete with american authors... there's no 'should' about it, though... depends on what you feel most comfortable doing...

...i doubt many US readers choose to read fiction based on the name of the author, other than in re ones whose names are already famous and may be personal favorites... after all, US readers/bookbuyers consist of all ethnic/national backgrounds...

...but, if you feel more secure using a pseudonym, go ahead and do it...

...if you write well and can depict US settings, charactes, etc. accurately enough, then of course it's possible... snagging an agent or publisher has nothing to do with you name or where you live, but only on the quality of the work you submit for publication...

hope this helps...

love and hugs, maia

sid_sm likes this.
  5. hvb

hvb Member

Besides, you could have the most unpronounceable name from anywhere in the world and still were born in the US.
    I never give the name of the author a thought except recognize one I know about or have read.
    Hetty

6. sid_sm

sid_sm New Member

I'm glad to hear some of your opinions about not bothering about the name of the author. Anybody else wanna post their opinions? Please, don't hesitate to post them. I need your valuable suggestions and opinions.
    Thanks,
    Sid.

7. sid_sm

sid_sm New Member

thank you.:)

8. sid_sm

sid_sm New Member

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.:)

9. sid_sm

sid_sm New Member

Thank you for your opinion:)

10. Albirich

Albirich Active Member

This is my opinion and I have in no way researched or done anything remotely close to that.

Use a pseudonym, it's easier, there could be biased agents or publishers therefore better safe than sorry. JK Rowling meddled with her own name because she was afraid to get rejected due to being a woman (if I remember right)

11. sid_sm

sid_sm New Member

It might be possible to keep one's legal name from a publisher. but, an agent would know about your real name, right? i mean, he/she has to sent you the checks for royalties or advances(assuming that i get accepted first, of course) to you. so, he/she would be aware of it, right? or, am i wrong?

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yes, you are right... and no, you are not wrong... ;)

however, in this age of easy internet access to virtually everything, it wouldn't take much effort for anyone to find out what your real name is... so don't use a pen name if your main reason is to hide who you really are...

13. sid_sm

sid_sm New Member

Point noted!