1. sashas

sashas New Member

Is Age a Factor?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by sashas, May 25, 2007.

I'm in the process of writing a literary satire...
    Its a pretty deep philosophical piece, and I deal with such subjects as religion, spirituality, the monotony of routine, the futility of effort, absurdism, etc.

But I'm not even 20 as yet. Do you think this will hamper my ability to get a publisher, since very few people would take a 19 year old seriously, especially when I'm writing mostly about philosophy disguised as a satire.

I'm halfway through the book. When I start sending out queries, should I mention my age, or keep it mum?

2. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

I believe it would best to keep hush about it, unless you're specifically asked. If they like what you've written, I don't see how it could possibly hold you back then.

3. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Well I don't really think that age matters to be honest but not too sure how it all works.

I mean if they ask for age I guess you give them your age but I am sure that if the piece sounds professional, really well, then it will be taken seriously. It really comes down to the quality of your work I feel.

But I guess it is like anything, some people can be very discriminatory...

~Torana

4. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Age shouldn't matter. But it might.
    Your legally an adult, so simply don't mention it. Send in your manuscript to publishers as normal, and wait for the response. The publisher probably won't care about your age until after the contract is signed, and at that point your story will have stood up for itself.
    So any reference to your age will be for marketing purposes. Either saying "Look at the excellent book our young writer did." or telling you to "Just smile and don't mention your age. We'll cover everything."

5. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

I personally don't find age a problem, but many publishers would consider the age of their authors to be a factor. I don't think you'd have a problem seeing as you're over 18, and it should be up to your work to prove yourself and not your age. Maturity is more important than age in my opinion, sadly publishers won't always see it that way.

I'd say to stick with the whole "Don't ask, don't tell" style of approach. Unless you're asked for your age, don't mention it - it shouldn't be as important as the work you are submitting. If you are asked, don't lie.

6. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

I'm pretty sure that a lot of agents/publishers do ask for age but it's usually to do with tax purposes meaning that if you are a certain age in certain countries and are paid X amount for your work you would have to pay the appropriate amount fo what you make. If you're not under a certain tax band specific to your age you could end up paying too much/too little, etc.

And if else fails then state you are around 40+. If they meet you in person and see that you appear to be young you can always fall back on some self-induced philosophy that your mortal coil is unuable to conform to the constraints of time as it is usually experienced.

Or some crap to that effect! ;) :D

7. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Lol... hmmm interesting thoughts there :p

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It seems to me that if a publisher is more influenced by your age than by your writing, why bother with them?

I suppose if you are desperate to get published, you be inclined to jump at any publisher who shows an interest.

I'd say, tell the truth and let the chips fall where they may. If they pass you over based on age, it is their loss! You can send them a signed copy with their rejection letter enclosed when you make the best sellers list! <wicked grin>

9. sashas

sashas New Member

Actually, I'm not desperate to get published, so its no big deal.
    I guess age can work to my advantage too...they can advertise me as the 'smart young writer' blah blah blah...
    lol
    That would be funny

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

AGE DOES NOT MATTER!

when you query an agent or a publisher, your age isn't mentioned [or shouldn't be]... all they want to know is whether what you wrote is good enough to make them money, or not...

no one will ask your age... when/if you are offered a contract, if you can't legally sign it, that is the time to reveal it, so a parent can sign the contract...

11. Raven

Raven Banned

Im inclined to agree with mamamaia on this.

12. sashas

sashas New Member

I can obviously sign a contract legally, since I am 18 already.
    Actually, now I do realize that the agent or publisher couldn't even know my exact age, unless I mention it.

Thanks for clearing the doubts guys!