1. alfabeta

alfabeta New Member

Written english podcasts

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by alfabeta, Jul 4, 2008.

Hi,
    I am looking for some podcasts that discuss the building blocks of written English.

I have found the Grammar Girl and MPR Grammar Grate, but these are not what I am looking for...

Are there any that start progress logically, like the chapters of a basic grammar/sentence structure book??

Any advise appreciated.

Regards
    alf...

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

why on earth would you be looking for 'podcasts' on that?... do you not read books? ;-)

i suggest you invest a few bucks in used copies of kilpatrick's 'the writer's art' and zinsser's 'on writing well'... and do a lot of reading/studying of the best work of the best writers, to see what it all looks like, when it's done well...

and if you need any help with the basics, you can email me any time...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

3. alfabeta

alfabeta New Member

Hi Maia,

Thanks for your reply. I always use podcasts to learn new things. They are part of my multi medium learning strategy.

I am an auditory person, so hearing someone explain confusing ideas (like grammar) is beneficial. I have learnt a few things listening to the Grammar Girl and MPR podcasts.

Also, It is the closest thing to listening to a teacher I can afford at the moment...

Thankyou for your offer of help.

I have 3 writing books on improving my english, one from Oxford, a Penguin book and another text. The problem with them is that they don't have any exercises in them.

Could you recommend some (or supply) some tests that I could print out and complete. (I have a vision problem, so can only concentrate on the screen for short periods, so the interactive quizzes are no good to me.)

At this stage, I am looking at sentence structures, adverbial and adjectival phrases/clauses, prepositions, active/passive, concise sentences etc.

Regards
    Alf...

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

good point!... i hadn't thought of it that way...

i may have some tests/lessons in my files, from when i was tutoring some local folks here in ESL... drop me an email and i'll see what i can send you... and if you want some one-on-one tutoring, we can do that, too...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com