1. Tom Fletch

Tom Fletch New Member

Words which mean "between"/"two"/"travel"

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Tom Fletch, Aug 11, 2012.

Any language preferably,

I have an city stuck in time between two time zones, and i'm looking for a word which i can warp/use on its own if its unknown enough.

So like, Tramonde is a mixture of Tra (Italian for Between, and Monde which is French for world...as far as i know, the internet is dodgy with translation's sometimes)

2. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Google translate is your friend :)

Between in Cantonese is "Joan Garn" (中間) - 'Joan' (中) means the centre. Officially it means "middle" or can be used to mean "in the middle of..."

For "travel" it can be "Yow" (遊) - like "yow sei guy" (to travel the world - 遊世界)

In Czech, "between" is "mezi"

How about Meziga? (between in Czech and a warped version of the Chinese word 'realm' 界*)

*sei guy (世界) = world, but this is composed of 2 words where 'guy' (界) means 'realm'.

Or Sezga - a warped version of "sei guy"

In all honesty though, Tramonde sounds all right. Have fun. You don't really need us :) though I know names can be a bit of a headache sometimes!

Btw the above Cantonese "spellings" are phonetic - it's how it'd sound in Cantonese (different to Mandarin)

3. Tom Fletch

Tom Fletch New Member

I never trust google translate, i prefer people :D, but i'll check it out anyway :)
    Thanks muchly

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Wise, but it;s still a good starting point. Select a handful of promising candidates, and check with those who know the language. Or do additrional research with your alternatives, because for your purposes you don't really need conversational accuracy.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i know enough italian to have named my home on the water in connecticut 'casa tra terra e cielo' ['home between earth and heaven']... i wouldn't advise mixing languages... how about:

traterra
    tramondo
    tratiempo

or

entreterre
    entramonde
    entretemps

or

entretierra
    entremundo
    entretiempo

6. Leonardo Pisano

Leonardo Pisano Active Member

Maybe you can play with "transition" -- trancition?