1. Makaze3

Makaze3 New Member

What is the treatment for an overdose on Xanax and alcohol?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Makaze3, Mar 4, 2016.

I've done research on what happens to your body when you mix Xanax and alcohol, what I am looking for is how it is treated when you go to the hospital. My character falls unconscious after ingesting Xanax and alcohol, and another character calls 911. What do they do during the ambulance ride to the hospital? (And would they let my other character ride in the back with him?) What happens when he gets to the emergency room? I'd like for him to be admitted to the ICU, and be able to go home the next day. Would they keep him longer than that, even if he seemed healthy enough to go home? Is it even possible he would feel good enough to go home the next day after an overdose like that? How would my character be treated for this in the hospital? Would he be given a medication to counter the drug, would he need to be on a machine to help him breathe, etc etc. I'm basically looking for what he would go through from the time the ambulance picks him up to the time he is discharged from the hospital. All help is appreciated and personal experience would be great!
    Thanks in advance!

2. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

In the ambulance they would evaluate organ function, blood pressure, breathing, etc. any general assesment that can be done in the ambulance represents time they can apply to treatment at the hospital
    Typically there is only enough room in an ambulance for crew and patient. So unless the companion is an essential to treatment hitching a ride probably won't fly.
    At the hospital, they might start with the stomach pump to get any remaining Xanax and alcohol out before it's digested. Activated charcol is a standard for almost any ingested over dose. If the treating physician feels something more is needed, Flumazenil is a Benzodiazepine specific antidote medication that could be introduced. Beyond that simple supportive care is about all they have available.

Makaze3 likes this.
  3. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Having had Charcoal before, it isn't a pleasant experience. If someone overdoses they would more than likely be put on a 72 hour hold to make sure they weren't suicidal.

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

"What is the treatment for an overdose on Xanax and alcohol?"

A ventilator.

5. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

I fogot to mention that if a person spends time in the ICU, that person isn't going home the next day. From ICU a person can expect a few more days in the appropriate ward before discharge. If it's determined the overdose was not an accident they may keep the patient a bit longer.
    Ie: involuntary commitment.

6. GingerCoffee

Not necessarily in the US. It might be different in other countries.

Yes, the person might be transferred to a 72 hold in a psych facility if it is suspected the OD was a suicide attempt.

But other than that, just the fact you required ventilator support (thus the patient would be in the ICU) is not a reason to keep the patient in the hospital beyond the detox period. The reason being insurance will not cover it.

It doesn't mean there wouldn't be some kind of outpatient referral after discharge, but just having been in the ICU is not a reason a patient is automatically kept in a hospital. They may spend a number of hours being observed on a regular unit if the patient is pushed out of the ICU as soon as the ventilator is discontinued. But that would only be the case if the initial overdose was not yet fully resolved.

7. Makaze3

Makaze3 New Member

Thank you for the details on this! So it would be reasonable to say that my character arrived at the hospital sometime around 10pm-midnight , was treated in the ER then moved to the ICU for ventilator support and whatnot, and was able to go home the next afternoon if they determined it was accidental and not attempted suicide?

8. GingerCoffee

Perfectly plausible.

Makaze3 likes this.
  9. Makaze3

Makaze3 New Member

Thank you for all the details on treatment!
    I have never actually been in an ambulance so forgive me, but do they ever let family members ride to the hospital in the ambulance? Could they sit in the front or somewhere out of the way of the patient?
    Or do they just have to find their own way to the hospital?

10. BoddaGetta

BoddaGetta Active Member

It depends on what ambulance service the intended hospital uses, or the medical issue in my experience.

When my mother was having non stop seizures, no one was allowed in the ambulance with her. I think it was because she needed two paramedics in the back and there was no room.

However, when my spouse had uncontrolled vomiting and was faint, [no respiratory or cardiac distress, unlike my mother] and hurt his head, they let me ride in the ambulance to the hospital in the passenger seat.

11. GingerCoffee

In the US, ambulances and emergency medical services differ by state and even by county. They also differ whether they are a private or a public service.

But the idea of someone riding along with an unconscious person is unlikely. For one, lay people would be in the way of taking care of an unconscious patient. For two, there are liability issues should the ambulance or medic unit be involved in an accident.

There are two levels of emergency transport, ALS and BLS. ALS is advanced life support and BLS is basic life support. An unconscious person would require ALS transport if it was available, and it would be unlikely they'd let anyone ride along. For BLS that's a different story so I can see that differing by whoever owned the ambulance service.

Makaze3 and BoddaGetta like this.
  12. GingerCoffee

And I should also add, in this state given seat belts are required, they'd only let someone in the back with the patient under very rare circumstances.

Makaze3 likes this.
  13. BoddaGetta

BoddaGetta Active Member

That answers my wondering about my example above. Makes sense. My mother was unresponsive, my spouse was lucid and conscious.