1. Targaddon

Targaddon Banned

Working one on one with a tutor

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Targaddon, May 15, 2007.

If you feel you really need personalized attention in order to blossom as a fiction writer, a tutor or writing coach may be ideal for you. I describe the tutoring I offer as "a one-on-one writing workshop, with your writing as the only assignment," which about sums up this type of ultra-individualized learning. Tutors are a bit harder to find than courses and workshops; try looking in the classifieds section at writers' resource sites, or type "writing coach" into an Internet search engine and work through the results. Some freelance editors also offer tutoring, so consider contacting them.

As always, consider credentials, cost, and working arrangements -- expect to pay for a professional's time and undivided attention, but also expect a worthwhile return for your money. All editors will be able to help you with the overall mechanics, but some might not know about the submission process for marketing your work; a writing coach with a background in writing other than fiction won't be able to help you with elements fundamental to fiction writing; if you feel you need weekly assistance, make sure a potential tutor will be able to handle that workload; and so on.

Whatever type of guided learning you choose, remember that your goal is to be a writer, not a lifelong student. What you learn will only be effective if you apply it to your writing.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

are your many 'lesson' postings here meant to drum up business?

3. Targaddon

Targaddon Banned

Absolutly not.
    For one I don't charge on individual workshops and I offer advice to all who wish to learn.
    Not once have I posted up links to sites for gain of money.

I find it strange you keep your post messages blocked from others yet you claim to help, what if a member has a question they'd wish to ask you but feel embarrassed to do with all eyes reading. (It Happens more so than perhaps you'd care to think or notice.) Yet instead you appear to throw very well written invective wording in the open, forcing a heated debate when there is no need for one, especially in threads that offer only advice (Free Advice). Im sorry you feel Im trying to gain money or advertise from you when i have clearly posted up words of advice, its such a shame you have taken things in such a well hidden antagonistic manner. and I find your atitude disconcerting. I offer advice and you try to turn coat my words.
    Feel free to ignore the advice i post or use it. I certainly hope its helpful to the "Amateur" writers.

4. mammamaia

...that's good of you... i just couldn't help wondering, since you mentioned paying for tutoring... and i believe in asking, rather than jumping to erroneous conclusions...

...i know... ditto the above...

...huh?... i don't keep anything blocked, that i know of... certainly not on purpose... i'd have no reason to... what are you referring to?...

...of course i know that... which is why i make my email address available to all in my profile and frequently even add it to my posts, so i have no idea what you are accusing me of...

...the rest of your post is so emotionally-charged and unjustifiably accusatory that i see nothing to be gained by countering your charges, other than to engender more, since you seem to be so intent on dissing me, for some reason...

...what you wrote above merely caused me to wonder about your intent, so i asked a simple polite question [which you did not have the courtesy to do in return], the answer to which could just as well have been yes, as no... i'm glad to know it is 'no' but i'm sorry you had to read into those few words so much that was never there and react so vindictively...

...absolutely no offense was intended, as anyone has the right to operate a business and i'm sorry if i didn't word the question 'softly' enough to not ruffle your feathers...

...fyi, if you were offering for-a-fee services, i intended to ask what your rates are, so i'd have someone to send mentees to, for help i can't give them for free, as i don't help with work that has any violent content... and i wouldn't have even considered doing that, had i not had some respect for your expertise, due to the 'lessons' you've been posting...

5. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I think he's referring that you don't allow PMs. Of course, that is said completely ignoring the fact that your email address is published, but that's all I can think of that he might mean.

6. mammamaia

thanks, banzai!... guess so... but don't know why that should be a 'sin'... 'specially since, as you noticed, i make my email address readily available...