1. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

Project Zero facility: Need advice describing it

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by The Magnan, Jan 17, 2012.

In my story i have a facility called Project Zero. I need advice on how i can describe it. The facility is mostly underground, and has three sectors. Gifted. Enhanced. Private (For guards and scientists). During mid-story Project Zero's systems fail, and there is a breakout. I don't want it to appear repetitive. I know their will be laboratories, Research areas, Barracks, and other things its just incorporating in way that allows the reader to follow the story without them feeling like its becoming repetive or similar. I have one area thought up the Evolutionary centre but even that needs fleshing out. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Writer On Stone

Writer On Stone New Member

I'm thinking that using a massive cave system might work well for this story. Some 40 years ago (in high school) I helped a friend on an English Lit. project he was doing and we used this premise with great success. Steve's was an underground bunker that was utilized following a doomsday scenario. There were mutiple caverns/chambers in the cave system and it was located directly over a geothermally active area. The geothermals allowed for the use of an intricate "Thermoelectric Effect" system to power the facility. If you use this type of power system you could then knock it offline in the story when need be with nothing more complicated a simple earthquake. The vast cavern system could also include (as it did in Steve's story) some unexplored areas from which any assortment of various nasties could emerge at opportune or inopportune times.

Ron

3. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

It seems to me like you are wanting to add a lot of description, but are afraid too much description will be boring. Unless there are some unusual qualities about the buildings you're talking about, you really don't need to describe them much. You can rely on the reader's imagination to fill in the blanks. (Kind of like in Inception when they create dreams, they rely on the dreamer to fill in all the blanks). I would say focus your description on when the characters interact with the surroundings. Like, if they come to a closed door you can talk a bit about it, and then they touch the panel with LED lights and hack into the system or whatever.

4. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

That sounds like a good idea, I never thought about the Thermoelectric Effect" system, so I may incorporate it somehow. Thanks. I kinda aimed to base it off Red Faction and Ultor's mining complex, and House of Deads Laboratory with a little of the Alien V Predator facility in that game. But I do like both of these ideas. Thanks, I really needed it.

5. Cacian

Cacian Banned

what is Project Zero trying to achieve?
    I need a bit more information.

6. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

It's trying to modify human genetics so that it accepts the GR-O1 (Gene Replication Omega- 1) formula, so that the scientists can then identify if the body wll become Gifted or can be modified to accept cybernetic implants. They aim to achieve a new form of human evolution. Anything more needed.

7. Cacian

Cacian Banned

OK.
    I am trying to understand in order to help.
    where do you get the human genetic from? or how do you get hold of a human gene?
    Are you going to be using a human form first?

8. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

Project Zero began shortly after the original Project New Breeds, although before that there had been an experiment on a human named Subject One. Project Zero like other Projects after New Breeds features a variety of Gifted and Enhanced (Cybenetically augmented people).

9. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Ah.An experiment is fine but extracting the human is impossible because once a human is dead then the gene within that human is dead too.
    A live human gene does not exist it is not possible to extract it.
    New breed requires a human to breed with another of exact breeding gene otherwise it would not be possible.
    So Two different breeding genes are not going to breed.
    That is what I am trying to understand, sorry I am not being funny.

The only way I can think of is superficial comupter generated characters that might breed onto another people again technology and images is what will do it.
    I think you will need to approach computers and imagine a creation of a new people using technology.

10. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

They didn't kill him, they altered his gene sequence, this alternate to our world. So a lot of things are different. i understand where your coming from though, and I will rethink this. I may in the end choose to keep things as it is, but i'm writing this in no way to make it seem too realistic, I'm taking what i know and twisting it in my own way, writing permits that. Look at shows like Heroes, that provided stimulus for me to rethink my original idea which was terrible. I will take things into consideration though. Thanks