1. TedM

TedM New Member

The Beggining of My Plot Creation Please Rate

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by TedM, Jan 20, 2009.

Isn't much of a start, but I had ten minutes free. Just jotting down some of my ideas... No names as of yet... enjoy :)
    Farmer and farmer, two young men of the age of twenty are young and reckless. They live on a farm doing their father’s business. They are woodcutters and field farmers. Hearing about the war to the south they decide to set off with their savings and enjoy an adventure.
    Girl is a young woman of the age of around 17-20. She is a peasant in a town in the center of the world. Her life is an average day-to-day life. Until... duh... duh... DUH!
    Prince, a 25 year old male getting ready to take over his father’s throne over the land (Including where girl lives) gets into a little trouble and get’s thrown out into a castaway land, going from total luxury to working labour for a man who’s children abandoned him for war.
    Hell1 and hell2 are two guys, pending sentences. (Murder and thieving) After much planning, the two escape from hell, venturing into the world of life. The two are deciding to try and work their way to good because they know that if they return to the world of the dead they will be tortured to no end... only one problem: These men are stuck in the mood (Or state of mind, better wording?) that they were when committing their crimes.
    The murderer carries weapons and lusts to killing people, but must resist or else he will go to hell again.
    The thief had now become a pack rat, trying to overcome his need to steal.

The four groups become intertwined and connected without really meeting each other until the end, all at once. (At one point they may group together for a chapter or two but in the end this is their format)
    The book features an item, most likely a necklace, giving the holder the truth of magic, turning on the gene with the magic ability.
    All have skills, one of the farmers is an archer, prince is smart, hell1 + 2 of course are excellent at lying their way out of tuff situations.
    The beginning of the book will be about farmer boys, they will set out and think of their grand adventure and eventually lose everything from scams and robbery. After this they resort to stealing and steal this necklace from the mother of girl. Mother of girl dies without telling girl, girl is left alone and sets out away to find her father.
    Hell will be more comedic on the story side of things, but they will capture prince and drag him away... not sure why yet, we will see.
    No one in this book is evil; they are only doing things for their own advantage. At times you will love the charming of one group and at others may hate their stupid decisions.
    The magic system is undecided as of yet.
    To close up, here’s a little idea of hell1 & 2’s experience upon escaping from hell...
    They will rise from a hole in the desert, look around, feeling the dreadful heat, the blistering sun, the lack of water... and cheer. They will grab the air in big gulps and sigh and cry at the beautiful cool temperature... they were forever effected by Hell.

Sincerely,
    TedM

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

plot ideas can't really be 'rated' imo... virtually any idea can become a best-seller/classic in the hands of a master wordsmith and even the greatest ideas can flop, if the writer hasn't the talent or skills to do it justice...

3. TedM

TedM New Member

:) I just wanted to grab people's attention.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no point to asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

(and yes, this is a template post, which should give you an idea of how often this comes up.)

Write the story. That may or may not grab people's attention. Whether or not a plot outline does is irrelevant.

5. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

listen to your friendly mother!

Maia that is! She is very wise in these things, and if you get good advice, keep it in mind and don't forget to thank her! I have seen some writing forums that don't want to do that...and it's a shame.

PS...you'd be surprised the big-name author(s) she knows...even if they had passed away. You can get a lot of wisdom from her!
    :D

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

thanks for the kind words, amigo!

fyi, just some of the writers i've known [from my old life in westport, ct]:

bob [robert] ludlum [jason bourne novels and many, many others]
    robin moore [green berets]
    noel behn ['the brink's job' & other bestsellers, + episodes of tv series 'homicide']

hugs, m

7. TedM

TedM New Member

Thanks, I have already read through your website.