1. Member 36723

Member 36723 Guest

Parallel Dimensions

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Member 36723, May 15, 2012.

My stories happen in a sci-fi universe. They usually happen on diferen planets and moons, and only at some occaisions collide. I was thinking what if all them happened in the same place. I have this 3 ideas for parallel dimensions where they all start on the same place:

1. A superhero city (like Marvel's New York).
    2. A pro-wrestling company where it is the primary sport.
    3. A constant war of lineages, derived a bit for a song of fire and ice.

Should I have all three? I am most confident about the first one because there is no constant struggle for status like the other two. How can I pull them off?

Any suggestions to improve either one of them?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's your story, and no one knows the requirements of your story as you do.

Don't just choose a setting because it sounds cool. Choose a setting that meets the needs of your story.

3. Member 36723

Member 36723 Guest

I really lie the superhero city ides. It give chances for things that were impossible before.

I always like pro-wreslting. Maybe If I presented it as gladiators, it wouls have held more water.

The problem with it and the lineage war is the necessity for a title-driven status quo. Is there a way to avoid it?

4. ithestargazer

ithestargazer Active Member

You have three different ideas here and they're all potential ideas that you could develop. The problem in writing a story of this magnitude (with three distinct dimensions or societies) is finding a way for them all to coexist together and not give the impression that you're forcing them together just because you - the author - like them.

It is difficult to compromise between ideas when you form strong images and plots in your head. However, it's probably the way you'll have to go at this stage. Obviously I know very little about your story but if you're looking at doing parallel universes it might be best to stick with two 'worlds' at first, especially if you're still a developing writer. It's a big task to undertake even for an experiences writer.

As Cog said above. It's your story and if you feel that these dimensions are all necessary to tell your story then write them.