1. Orev509

Orev509 New Member

Need help with ideas

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Orev509, Nov 24, 2009.

Hello. I'm new to this forum and I've just started thinking of an awesome story (hopefully the first one I'll actually finish writing).

I've got all the characters down with names and personalities, but I'm having trouble with the plot. I have the basic idea but no beginning, end, or progression.

I also need help with character development and introductions.

Please help if you can.

2. iconrostov

iconrostov New Member

Set your characters down in the same room and have them converse. See what happens.

3. Operaghost

Operaghost New Member

You have a basic idea which is a start as you have a brief idea of where you want this to go, the idea of sitting your characters together is a good one, not only will it help you to define the characters more and develop them as you wish to do, but taking your basic premise you should be bale to see how the characters fit into this and this in turn will help to shape the story.

4. Mora Manush

Mora Manush New Member

If you have a setting (Place where the story happens) then start there with your main character.

If you can't think of any ideas then the best thing to do is to write/draft the story!! Use the ideas that you have even if you don't have many and the story dosen't make much sense.

A lot of ideas actually come when you are drafting and also if you write an unstructured story at first, then you will know what you have to structure and the places where you can actually add diffenrent aspects of the tale.

Trust me. It works.

Peace

5. architectus

architectus Banned

In one of my blog post here on WF, I talk about story structure and plotting. The technique I share there never fails; I always think of a plot when I use the technique.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You may want to start weith the basics, including distinguishing between storyline and plot: What is Plot Creation and Development?

7. ajbc_08

ajbc_08 Member

In that situation where you have a framework in the form of characters, I usually just write a scene, something involving as many of those characters as possible, or introducing them, and then go from there. You may not even use that scene in your final piece, you might throw it away and start again, you might use it to start your story, but overall it'll help you get those creative juices flowing and begin the process of formulating some sort of story or progression.

All you need is a starting point, don't feel like you have to plan it out from beginning to end, making it up as you go is a useful exercise.

For example, I was in a similar situation to you, I had my genre, and a few characters and a rough idea of some things I wanted to take place but I had no idea where to start. So I started writing a scene that was initially going to start the story (or so I thought), but I had no idea where it was going. Then about half way through writing that, I had a bit of an epiphany and formulated an actual beginning that would lead up to this scene, and from there over the past couple of days a whole bunch of other plot points and ideas have manifested themselves. I have no clue where its going but at least I have something to write on whilst I think about that.

Point is, don't be afraid to just write something, who cares if you decide its rubbish and throw it out. No matter what you write it'll never be a waste of time as you will learn something from it, and in alot of cases your main story will branch off from whatever you write. I learnt this after spending 3 months trying to come up with a plot, and then after writing a short scene, formulating most of that plot within 2 days after that.

8. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

I also am going through a similar thing. I usually just start writing a draft and see where it goes, but with this, it feels like that wouldn't work, so what i'm trying to do is to plan each chapter. To me, each chapter it its own story, it has a beginning middle and an end. so plan each chapter like you would any other story. Some people say don't do this, but I find it works really well.

If you don't know what you want to happen yet, but have a vague idea, try summerise what you want to happen in the beginning into a paragraph and the same with the middle and end, and see where it leads.

Another good trick is to use spider diagrams. there fun to use, and once you have used an idea, you just cross it out.

Hope this helps.

Fantasy Girl xx

9. Robert Lipscombe

Robert Lipscombe New Member

..you have the characters but you need a plot. Here's the surefire formula:
    plot = [character + personal agenda of character] x either environment [physical, social, cultural, economic, political, military, spiritual] or [a different character + their personal agenda] or both.
    So, what you need to do now is look at the personal agenda of a character and then analyse that character's environments. Plot will immediately appear.
    Trust me.
    RL

10. Orev509

Orev509 New Member

Thank you all for all your help. I'm grateful.

11. hszmv

hszmv New Member

I tend to write my story backwards from my climax. IE, say the villain can only be defeated by a spork to the heart. Where is my Main going to get a spork? Well they give out sporks in hospital cafeterias. Good, how do I stick him in a hospital cafeteria. Well, that's where his brother is having his operation. Why does his brother need an operation? Cause he faced the villain and came out in bad shape. Why did he do that...?

So I get the idea of the final battle and construct the steps needed for the final outcome (Hey, the hero can't win all the time, right?) and from there, put down the clues needed to do it.