Tags:
  1. psychotick

psychotick Contributing Member Contributor

Worst Author Ever

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by psychotick, Jan 25, 2013.

Hi Guys,

I came across this article in one of the other fora I'm on, and found it brilliant, so thought I'd share it with you.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2013/01/was_amanda_mckittrick_ros_the_worst_novelist_in_history.html

What I love about this is not particularly the level of awfulness of the writing, though some of the excerpts are quite funny. Its the steadfast self belief shown by the author and war of words she so happily waged with her critics. (And the fact that it wasn't my name in the title!)

Cheers, Greg.

1 person likes this.
  2. Selbbin

Selbbin I hate you Contributor

Lol. Thanks. I loved this bit...

and

This reminds me of the modern artistic failures that build a cult following: The Room and Birdemic: Shock and Terror.

3. Selbbin

Selbbin I hate you Contributor

Thanks again! I'm reading IRENE IDDESLEIGH right now on Guttenberg Press and it's.... unbelievable!

I mean:

You simply have to read it.

4. GoldenGhost

GoldenGhost Contributing Member

Oh my, this is too much.

I don't know if I should be frightened of what kind of writer I may turn into, or hopeful that I can't be any worse then some of the ye olde word-factories that have preceeded me.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

thanks for the morning laugh-fix, psycho and selbbin!

that poor woman must have been taught to write by bulwer-lytton!

6. BritInFrance

BritInFrance Active Member

LO!. If that was posted on this site, can you imagine the comments?

7. BallerGamer

BallerGamer Active Member

Robert Stanek. The worst part is that his personality is worse. He thinks that George R.R. Martin is out to make him a bad author, even though his writing is self evident of that. He photoshopped a picture of him and Brian Jacques saying they were doing a joint book signing. He says he's a best selling author even though there's zero evidence of it. I first took notice of him because of this thread:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/42588-robert-stanek-shat-directly-into-my-soul/

8. digitig

digitig Contributing Member Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    "Ros might not have been up to much as a novelist, but she would have been excellent at coming up with names for punk bands." Genius.

Of course, reading Ros is probably good for aspiring writers. Reading Ros critically, that is, and working out what makes it so bad.

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Please don't turn this into a puerile "trash your least favorite author" thread.

10. tcol4417

tcol4417 Member

Bad writers don't bother me so much as authors - people in general really - utterly blind to their own failings.

It's genuinely difficult to tell if they're honestly ignorant of their ineptitude or simply trying to cover up the mess: The behaviour brings names like Tommy Wiseau to mind.

EDIT: Having taken measure of her "works" - and we'll use the term loosely - it's clear that she thinks tassels and drapes make a mansion. It's not surprising and I'm sure she's not the only one.

With regards to it "infecting" your reading of other works, I'd wager that Chuck Palahniuk's stuff might be immune: There's very little in Fight Club that feels decorative or superfluous.

Which is kind of the point, really. (Oh, and it's nice to see I was right about Wiseau getting an honourable mention)