1. Doodles

Doodles New Member

title for a group of characters

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Doodles, Mar 31, 2012.

Hi everyone.
    I am stuck for a title to describe a small group of special people. It is a council that can move through portals between three different worlds. I have been calling them 'Worldwalkers' but I am not too comfortable with that. This is really beginning to get to me, can any suggestions be offered? I would be most grateful.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

How do the peoples of the three worlds perceive them? What names do they give them?

Each world probably sees them differently, so you may have three different collective names for them.

The members of the group probably don't have a label for themselves, unless they are using it to awe the populace of each world.

3. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

You can also make up your own word, like "The Acatia." Something you think fits. With most names of groups like this, they probably spent time coming up with their own name and have a very good reason for calling themselves that. Even if it's true, however, YOU don't have to know why they call themselves that. You just have to make readers believe you know.

4. Jowettc

Jowettc New Member

I'm with Cog on this one. They probably wouldn't give themwelves a title unless there was some exigent reason. It would be more likely that 'others' in the story would give them names, so what might they be? That would depend on how they conducted themselves in each world or culture. In LOTR Gandalf had many names and possibly none of them were even his real name. The council might do good in one realm and bad in another depending on what their actions caused to happen. They could be the 'scary-dudes-who-come-at-night-and-cause-mayheml' for instance or the 'peaceful-fairy-people' in another. Depends.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There could be motivations for self-naming. Possibly a sense of humor (the Women's Murder Club, for example). Or a need for anonymity (such as the cyber terror group Anonymous). Any self-chosen name needs to derive from the motivations behind self-naming. Otherwise they'd simply refer to themselves as Mary, John, and Zebadiah.

6. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Is this group of people doing good or evil deeds. If evil, then I would just call them 'the council' or 'the committee' with no personal group name they could sound ominous.

If they are doing good then I'd pick a name that refelcts the work they do.

7. CarterE

CarterE New Member

To me when writing, I don't really get names quite right, but for this.... I say don't name them. It depends, would the people who know them call them it, such as a nickname. Or a title meaning the group made it up.