1. taytay98

taytay98 New Member

Would I Have Problems Publishing This?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by taytay98, Mar 19, 2011.

Well, I got an idea for a series when I was watching Criminal Minds a few weeks ago. Its a crime series, that invloves a 15 year old genius working with the BAU. But, as I'm plotting it out more and more, I'm finding that the series is becoming more and more like the show.

The sad thing is, I really like this idea. I have gotten around 10k into the first draft of the first book, and I'm really enjoying writing it, and I have serious thoughts about publishing it. I dont have a name for the series, except for Criminal Encounters, which is only a rough name.

I didn't exactly rip off the charcaters. I have a Garcia, a Hotch, and a reid. Actually... Two. The MC and another. I have a character that is similar to Morgan, but thats it. And no, I didn't use those names :)

What do you think about the whole situation? About the characters and the plot. If you have any suggestions on how to make it more original, please post it below. Thanks!

And, I'm sorry if the whole thing didn't come out clear. If you need further explaining done, just ask. :)

2. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

You let the idea stim for a couple of months. Then you will ran across more sources of inspiration.

Right now you sort of like "I wanna do A."

If you wait you will reach something like "I wanna do A, but it sort of like B, set at place C and with this awesome character D"

And then you come so far you have a vision unique to you, with more then one source of inspiration.

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Well Criminal Minds was after Cracker (in the UK). There was also a documentary called the Real Cracker based on Julian Boon - look both of them up they will give you other sources to base it off.

4. taytay98

taytay98 New Member

Really? Didn't know that. I'll check it out. Thanks!

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?

Moreover, no unknown writer should be thinking in terms of writing a series. It's hard enough to get one book published, and that book must stand on its own.

6. taytay98

taytay98 New Member

Well, when I'm querying the novel, I would obviously say that the book is part of a 'planned' series. Unless saying that isn't professional. I havent really looked into queries. Anyways, IF it do get published, it may not be a standalone.

7. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Check with the publisher - each book in a series should standalone. However since I started writing a year ago and looking at publishers I have noticed at least in the UK a shift where some agents and publishers are asking for series.

Your location will have a baring on this. You are writing crime - that children's books and fantasy/sci fi are where I have been looking so it maybe worth checking. However if the book is standalone you don't have to mention the series use the first book to sell the second etc

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You'd be working against yourself.

It's a good thing to tell a publisher that you have other works in development. Taking a chance on a new author is slightly better if it looks like there may be more than one trip to the well. But publishers don't want to get pulled into a series commitment on an unproven writer.

Every book will be judged on its own merits. A publisher does not want to get pulled into a situation where a newcomer puts all his or her talent into that first novel, and everything submitted after that is lukewarm crap. And even in a series, every book still must stand on its own.

You will find exceptions, but rarely with new authors. You are best off never mentioning the word "series" in a query or any of the negotiations for your initial book. Also, make sure your initial manuscript wraps up its story, even if the potential of a larger story looms large.

9. taytay98

taytay98 New Member

Well then... :/

And, just to point it out, its a teen crime. I was reading on Natalie Fischers blog about the age limits and stuff, and what I have planned is good. A friend pointed the blog post out to me :)