1. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Contributing Member

Would this character need a dead body for his faked death plan to work?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Ryan Elder, Jun 11, 2016.

For my story, I was thinking that one of the characters could fake his death, with the intention of his plan being to manipulate other people into avenging his death. However, would these people team up to avenge his death, and go after the framed "murderer", if they did not have a dead body?

I mean he could fake his death in a way, that he looks dead, such as faking his kidnapping, and then make a video, and have him appear to be killed by someone on the video. It would be a ransom video made by the kidnapper... and then his body is never found.

But would the people he is manipulating into avenging him, be driven to that extreme, if they didn't have a found body to confirm his death, but he has only disappeared from some time, with the only evidence being a ransom video?

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

They're your characters. You're the only one who can answer this question. A dozen people might react in a dozen different ways under these circumstances.

3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll Bite the bullet, do your own thing. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Um, you could fake his death with a cadaver. Though that would require a medical school being near by and a bit of cash to get said cadaver. Then he would have to pull all the teeth out, burn the body with an accelerent to the point there is no way to visually identify the body. The pulling of teeth keeps them from being able to identify the corpse by dental records. And the guy must leave something behind indicating that the burnt guy is your character.

Or if you prefer get a cadaver (fore mentioned technique), and a 55 gallon drum of sulfuric acid to dump the body in (pull the teeth just in case). And then leave behind something to identify that it was your MC in the barrel.

Well that is what I got, if it helps great. If not them I am sorry. Best of luck to you either way. :supersmile:

4. Ryan Elder

Maybe, if that's necessary to help.

I can't decide between two possible endings I have in mind.

In my story the MC wants to bring down a gang of villains who keep getting away with crimes, and basically he just needs a plan that would work the best, and provide the best ending for the story. He can either work more on his own, or he can have help. There is a crooked cop, who is involved with the gang but then wants to turn good and wants to turn them in. What if that cop faked his own death and made it appear that the villains are the most likely suspects... The cop gives the police force, enough bread crumbs that leads to the suspects property and associates, and the police can get warrants to search, do wire taps, etc.

The police then find evidence, not on the cop's faked death, but on evidence of the gang's past crimes...

The only thing is, if a cop fakes his death and the police investigate it, but then find out it was a faked ruse on his part likely, but however, turned up evidence of other crimes 'accidentally', in the process, can they use that evidence cause it was turned up by accident?

For example, there seems to be a fine legal line in the difference between fruit of the poisonous tree evidence, compared to evidence, that was found accidentally, while investigating another matter. If the matter that is being investigated was a ruse, could the evidence of other past crimes, discovered by accident still be used, in relation to those past crimes, as long as the evidence proves to be authentic? And even though the fake death was a ruse, what if the investigation of the fake death, was all done by the book? Can the accidental evidence still be admitted then, compared to not doing things by the book, resulting in evidence being tainted?

Or maybe it would be better for the crooked cop, to fake his own kidnapping instead, and have the police investigate him being kidnapped instead, cause he could then have a better reason for being alive, and say he escaped the kidnapping.

Or I could write it so that the crooked cop gets killed for real, by the villains, or by the MC in the heat of the moment. The MC can then still frame the villains for his death, and manipulate other police characters, into getting revenge on the villains, which will lead them to follow a trail of bread crumbs to get to the evidence that is needed to charge the villains.

However, if the crooked cop remains alive to help the MC, him bringing in the evidence himself, I read will not count as 'fruit of the poisonous tree' as far as the law goes. Since he was a part of the gang, although a cop, he is not acting as an officer, investigating it.

If the MC leads the other cops to the evidence himself with the bread crumbs, and the crooked cop is dead, then the crooked cop cannot take credit for it, and it then would be fruit of the poisonous tree it seems.

So it depends on how much the audience cares about the legal technicalities on the law, or if they just want to read a rogue cowboy cop do his thing and be entertained by it. What do you think sounds like the better ending?

5. Cave Troll

Cave Troll Bite the bullet, do your own thing. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    @Ryan Elder I like the dirty cop angle you have presented. It can definitely work to the MC's advantage.

6. Ryan Elder

Okay thanks. I talked it over with one person who helped me write some of it. He said that he doesn't like the dirt cop turn good, because it means that the MC is not on his own, and his turmoil is not as dramatically felt overall. The lone rogue MC cop on his own with no help is more compelling compared to him getting help from a villain turned good, on the inside. He also says that by not having the cop get killed by the MC by accident, it creates less drama for the MC compared to them teaming up.

I kind of agree, that there is a lack of a second act climax, by having no tragedy for the MC to propel him into the third act, should I choose for the crooked cop to live. What do you think?