1. JPGriffin

JPGriffin New Member

How to push through introducing a new world?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by JPGriffin, Jun 28, 2011.

This has been a constant problem with my writing, fantasy novels especially. How should I go about introducing a new setting, its history, and most importantly a main character? This one problem has caused me all sorts of problems with writer's block, since it just stops the flow of ideas. Any help?

2. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

First, writer's block doesn't exist, isn't an excuse, blah blah blah. It's not healthy to even think about "writer's block". It's like saying that you've got a valid reason for why you can't control your mind better.

To the question at hand! You problem stems from the fact that you know all about the world you want to introduce, and your reader knows nothing about it. What you forget in this equation, however, is that readers are not morons (or, at least, I hope the vast majority of them are not). Introduction isn't really that necessary.

I mean, you can feel free to mention the name of a town without launching into massive descriptions of its buildings and such. Really, just write the story and mentions things as they come.

3. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

While it partly depends on the POV used as to the minor details, you just begin telling the story.

The main character is introduced by actions he takes, things he says, what other characters say and think about him.

The world expands for the reader as the characters interact in/with it and venture out in it. It can be revealed through description, observation, dialogue and action (or reaction).

Give the reader just enough information to get going then add details and information as needed. The reader doesn't need to know everything at once and they will learn/remember/understand better if they encounter or learn about the world and characters in context. And trust the readers. They'll pick up on things pretty quickly.

You may have a whole world with peoples and cultures and places and histories all established, but in truth, 90% of it will never grace the pages of your novel. That's okay. The depth will provide consistency and believability to the reader.

Good luck moving forward. Just write. Get through the writer’s block because you're going to have to edit/revise anyway. But that'll be easier to do with everything down--you can refine the introduction of the world to the reader then.