1. jo epic

jo epic New Member

would this idea work for a story

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by jo epic, Sep 13, 2011.

hi my name is Zane and i am in ninth grade (freshman) i was wondering if this idea would work for a story my friend and I have been working on it for a while......

One thousand years in the future the world is on the brink of death. Survival has become nearly imposable with radiation pockets raiders and worst of all Felix. In one of the few colonies not under Felix's control Zach Malachi and Jonathan survive in uneasy harmony until Felix comes. Flung upon the wasteland the three teenagers (almost men) must find a way to survive not only Felix but also the many trials known to exist.

that is the brief overview if you want more description please say so and remember i am a fourteen year old so constructive criticism plz
    (the names are temporary) Also i can give a story line but i need to know if anyone wants to hear it

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?

The story will work if you make it work.

3. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Yeah what is written doesn't matter, it's just how you write it is key.

4. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

imposable = impossible

Agree, how you write your concept is where the worth of the concept comes from. Just make sure you proofread for SPAG :)

5. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

imposable = impossible

Agree, how you write your concept is where the worth of the concept comes from. Just make sure you proofread for SPAG :)

6. Quorum1

Quorum1 New Member

It sounds like a great idea, you shoud write it. It's hard to give any other advice because there's just not enough to go off. Start writing and see how it goes!

7. SeverinR

SeverinR New Member

Spag: Spelling, punctuation, ________, grammar. Whats the "A"?

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

and, Which is why it is SPaG, not SPAG

9. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    It seems to be pretty much evens whether it's written as SPAG or SPaG. I know that Spelling, Punctuation, and Grammar would be so capitalised in a title, but would it in any other context? I've been trying to think of any other abbreviation with an 'and' in it, and all the ones I can think of either use ampersands (The V&A in London), or skip the 'and' altogether (the FCO for Foreign and Commonwealth Office).

10. AceTachyon

AceTachyon New Member

Good start, jo.

Now get cracking on the writing.

11. Iaccardi

Iaccardi New Member

You can easily make that work. What matters most is that you have meaningful characters that the audience can relate to. A good writer can make any story enjoyable. Good luck!

12. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

It looks like a high concept idea, and I believe you can execute it if you do it well. I would agree with thee other posters that the idea for a novel like this one does not worth it until it gets made or written.

13. JSLCampbell

JSLCampbell New Member

I can totally understand why you would want some confirmation on the story concept; after all, you'd be investing a lot in writing it and it's easier to be motivated to do that if you're sure in your concept. However, Cog is right. More or less any concept can be turned into a fantastic story if it's written fantastically.

It sounds like a good idea for a High Fantasy/Scifi story, though. But unfortunately, nobody can successfully critique a story until it's finished.

14. Sr. Flora OSB

Sr. Flora OSB New Member

Jo, have you ever read anything about the archetypes in your English/reading classes? Archetypes are kind of like patterns in literature. Readers are able to pick up the Princess in a story, even if the character is not actually the daughter of a king or the wife of a prince. We know what that character looks like and acts like. In any case, your story appears very archetypal (the hero's journey.)

I would recommend that, as you begin writing your story, you do a Google.com search of "the hero's journey archetype" and read what you can. I believe very strongly in writing in the archetypal format. Use the stories and the characters that people resonate with. You shouldn't, of course, feel confined or restricted by the archetype, but they are good guides for creativity when you're stuck on how/what a character should do.

All the best,

Sister Flora

15. Duality23

Duality23 New Member

I think its a great concept. If the story resonates with you, and you feel compelled to write it thats all that matters. Have fun with the story and enjoy the journey!

16. lostinwebspace

lostinwebspace Active Member

I think it sounds fine. If it sounds identical to something else, the characters will make it unique. The one thing that seems to be missing is any internal conflict. That might come from this "Zach Malachi and Jonathan survive in uneasy harmony," but I wouldn't know without you describing what their uneasy harmony is based on: did one steal the other's girl? Are they from rival football teams? Did one kill the other's brother? You don't have to tell us--and their internal conflict might not come from this uneasy harmony--but give some thought to it. Great stories have been told without internal conflict, but it's just an idea that the description doesn't cover.

17. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    I think working with archetypes is good at the YA level -- the Percy Jackson novels spring to mind. I think that at the adult level some degree of subverting the archetype is pretty much essential nowadays. But you still need to know the archetype to be able to subvert it, so yes the advice to read up on "the hero's journey archetype" (and the closely related quest archetype) is good. Whether it's a hero's journey or a quest depends on whether the overall development is in terms of the kids coming to maturity or in terms of overcoming/escaping Felix. There's nothing to stop it being both.

18. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

To quote someone who says it better than I ever could -

Write it, if it moves you. :)

19. twistedteafan

twistedteafan New Member

Definitely sounds like other stories, but I think words are subject to the same terms as music.
    Rappers sample other peoples music/ideas and create something of their own. Movies do it also.
    Why not in writing? Just make sure that you create characters that are worth following on whatever journey they will embark on.
    That the world they are saving, IS WORTH SAVING. I think if you do those things with the idea you have above, you'll create something worth reading.

20. CMacgregor93

CMacgregor93 Member

Work on the plot, come back and we may get a better idea of what your idea is like.