would this make you hate my MC?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Mckk, Mar 31, 2012.

1. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

There's another more important aspect here. Should the author care?

For example, many movies have gone before focus groups, and sometimes the ending is re-written for mass appeal. When Danny DeVito was shooting the movie "The War of the Roses" it was generally known that his two leads would die falling from a chandelier at the end. First he took some good natured ribbing, then pressure.

Same here for the OP. While I want to write a good story, and hope it one day becomes a book, I don't care how some pharmacist in Peoria feels about such matters. Granted, I'd like to have some professionals correct and polish the book for flaws and continuity problems, but the book is still mine.

In fact, after some feedback I got on spiritual matters, I expect a lot of criticism. Heck, my mom criticized me.

2. Stoph Holland

Stoph Holland New Member

My first thought is "How does he plan on fixing this".

3. Lasers123

Lasers123 New Member

It depends largely on the development of the character aswell i guess. I would say that there should be some kind of unexpected twist, which would grip the readers attention. Add something to the plot which will allow the MC to accomplish what he wants.

4. ithestargazer

ithestargazer Active Member

I don't think an audience would hate your MC for making a 'bad' decision. We all do that. How your audience will react is based on your writing and the world you build. Books often have a good guy/girl in a bad situation. You're not just writing about his one choice, you also get to write about the consequences and how he reacts to them.

5. Cassiopeia Phoenix

Cassiopeia Phoenix New Member

Can I just jump in and say that the choice is actually awesome? What I feel from heroes or MCs is that the writers often avoid putting them in this kind of situation or if they do put them in this kind of thing, the issue is resolved before the MC makes his choice and everything goes out perfectly -- so he won't be labeled as baddie guy or make a bad choice or whatever. The writing plays a part in it. You could write it as the selfish decision it really is or make the readers go: "aw, he so in love he's putting a lot of people in danger but it doesn't matter". Up to you. If you are still stuck, that is. I wouldn't hate your MC. Uh... I would kind of... Cheer for him. Slightly. I guess.