1. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Contributing Member

Would this person not recognize this other person in this type of situation?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Ryan Elder, Jul 18, 2016.

Basically in my story, a cop is on patrol and he spots some suspicious activity. He sees in the distance, a man being searched by other men for a wire and possible weapons. Or at least that is what it looks like from his police knowledge.

So he decides to discretely follow them in his unmarked car, keeping his distance. The man who was searched is a dirty cop, and the gang members who searched him are taking him for a blood in. A blood in, is when a gang puts new recruit to the test where the new recruit has to spill the blood of another person to get in.

The cops sees his happening and intervenes, stopping the blood in. He saves the would be victim of the blood in, and manages to arrest one of the gang members, holding him at gunpoint while protecting the victim. The other gang members get away, including the crooked cop.

The crooked cop then makes his way to his car, which was parked back where he was searched. He changes his clothes and his appearance, putting the clothes he was spotted in by the cop, in his car trunk. Or he does something along these lines.

He then gets in his car, and drives to the crime scene. He has his police radio with him while off duty, and acts as though he is responding to the crime, as himself, as an officer, while off duty.

So he goes to the scene as back up. But he only does this to see if he can control anything at the scene, such as his possible DNA being there something. He also wants to find out how the blood in was busted, and what the cop saw and all that, and this gives him a reason to, for the time being, be on the case and find out more, so he can know what he and the gang are up against. He doesn't of course fully realize that that the other cop, randomly stumbled upon it.

However, I want to write this so it is believable. Is it believable that a cop, can see a man in the distance being searched, and then see him again as part of a blood in, in the distance, but then a few minutes later, that same man returns a car, with a different appearance, as a cop, who also works in the same department as the other cop?

The two cops can of course work very different shifts, and would not have encountered each other directly before, but is possible to fool the cop this way, even though he didn't see the man from his face point of view?

2. Brindy

Brindy Contributing Member Supporter

Does this happen in dark or daylight, open area or built up? I could see that in the melee of rescuing the victim he may not notice facial features of everyone, so if his view wasn't clear enough when he first spotted the guys, with change of clothes, it's possible. As an off duty-cop turning up would be seen as a help. Maybe later on the arresting cop may start to wonder about similarities, convenience of him being there, but I think he could get away with it in the first instance.

3. Ryan Elder

Well later on he finds out that he was there through some other clues and evidence. But for the time being, which would be a few weeks, I do not necessarily want the cop seeing it coming. I was planning on having it happen in daylight. I am writing a screenplay for a low budget and it's just a lot cheaper to shoot in daylight.

It can be either an open area or built up. However, the crooked cop parks his car, and then walks somewhere to wait to be searched. This way, the other cop does not see his car. Then the crooked cop, is driven to the blood in location, in the gang's car, and then later he runs back to his own car, which the cop would have never saw. So whether or not the area is open or built up, would be determined by the cop not being able to see his car logically, when he first waits to meet the gang.

4. Brindy

Brindy Contributing Member Supporter

I was more thinking about facial recognition. If shadows from buildings or dark, may make facial recognition from a distance more than daylight in an open space. I still think it could work.

5. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributing Member

I think a bigger problem is that this dirty cop is doing a "blood in" ritual. Dirty cops aren't dirty because they want to be gang members, they are either extorted or paid. If this gang was extorting this dirty cop, they wouldn't allow him to join the gang, and why would he want to? That part puts up huge red flags for me. I can't picture a scenario where, realistically, a cop (dirty or otherwise) would do join a gang this way.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  6. Red Herring

Red Herring Member

I don't understand the need for the ritual either. Change it to a large deal that needs protection, an information meet or something along those lines, and it's makes more sense. I agree, dirty cops don't need or generally want to be gang members; they do it for the money.

As for the recognizing the dirty cop's face; as long as you make it known that they they both know he didn't get a good look at the dirty cop, it makes sense.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  7. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Contributing Member

I have to agree with the others. A dirty cop is simply on the payroll, never part of the gang. It makes no sense.

If you want to keep this scenario, I would say the cop is related to one of the higher up members, but not obviously so. Perhaps the dirty cop was adopted and you later find his brother is a higher up. He had a good foster family and grew up right. He became a cop and while he was new used available resources to find his real family. He found out his brother was in the gang, but met with him anyway. Later he became part of the case against the gang and started doing "favors" to help his brother out. He was conflicted about it the whole time, but has strong family values. You can show the decline in his morality, explain his reasoning (no one thinks they're a villain theory), humanize him a little, and make a realistic back story.

About the wire thing, it depends on visibility. It also depends on location. If they're at a club, it's fair to be patted down. A shady back alley in broad daylight and he recognizes one of them? Justified.

8. Ryan Elder

Okay thanks. The gang is a terrorist type group though, going around creating acts of terror, to put fear into society and get their message heard. They are not doing anything for money. The dirty cop is not in it for money either, but is a believer in their cause. So he is sort of a terrorist mole, in the police department, or at least they are testing him to see if he is good enough to be one. I kind have to make it a blood in though, cause all the rest of the plot rests on the victim of the blood in and the investigation of the blood in itself. The whole plot comes out of the blood in investigation and the victim who is rescued particularly.

So does it make sense to have a blood in, if the gang is not about money, but is about terror and the cop in not in it for money, but a believer in their cause?

Another thing, is that if a cop does not do any dirty deeds for the gang, how can the gang trust that the cop would not rat them out? A lot of times gangs will test new recruits by getting them to kill someone to make sure they are not undercover cops.

So if the gang wanted to recruit a cop to be a mole, wouldn't they test him to, to make sure he is dependable, since he is a cop and all?