1. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Contributing Member

Would this plot turn be better if it came early or later on in my story?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Ryan Elder, Jun 12, 2016.

In my story I have written out a few versions of it, put them away, then came back to look them over, and came up with some new ideas. Basically the premise is about a cop who is on the trail of a serial rapist/killer villain. He ends up becoming one of the rape victims himself while getting closer in the investigation. The villain gets away with it, and he wants revenge and takes matters into his own hands.

However, after looking it over, I was wondering how I should handle him being raped. It's a suspense thriller type story, and usually in these types of stories, they have a structure, where the MC has something bad happen to him, which propels him in motion and then later, something worse happens to him which is the icing on the cake that makes him undergo a character change that determines the third act.

So I can have the rape happen at around the midpoint of the story, which sets the MC into action against the villain. So he undergoes his character arc earlier on. Or I can have him investigate the villain and the case, for a longer time, and then have his rape come at the second act climax, just before the third act. Thereby making the rape, the icing on the cake that makes him snap for the third act.

But what point of the story is it better to have the MC go through this kind of change? Should it be earlier on, or should I save it for the icing on the cake to propel the climax, do you think?

2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll Bite the bullet, do your own thing. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I am gonna say the midwayish point sounds good. Give it time to start that roller coaster ride, if you feel me.

I have a major secondary character get raped, and she annihilated the guy with nothing but brute force and alloy knuckles. Though it turns out that she is the scariest of the whole group, even scarier than an MC that has literally gotten off on being a sadist before reforming to a degree.

So yeah those are my thoughts, and good luck with this piece. :supersmile:

3. Ryan Elder

Okay thanks. I am having second thoughts, and was thinking maybe I should write it like how Harvey Dent is written in The Dark Knight, and not have the tragedy happen to him, till the end of the second act/beginning of the third, cause in that movie by saving the revenge till end, it explodes more for the finale that way, if that makes sense.

But do you think that maybe that approach is not as good for my kind of story, maybe?

4. Cave Troll

I am going to stand firm with the midway point. Rape has a lot of emotions effecting the victim, so we need them to fall apart a bit before they go all Doom Guy on the rapist. Know what I mean jelly bean?
    Just guessing but your MC is not a highly trained 1 star general, proficient as an a assassin and a sniper that is as cold as ice.

5. Ryan Elder

Yep the MC is not that way at all. He is an every man stand up guy cop, but has not gone off the deep end yet. I thought that if I let it all explode at the end now, it might be better. But I guess that's more likely to happen in Dent's case, when--

SPOILER

having a fiance murdered, compared to being raped?

6. Cave Troll

What I am trying to say is that given the background, he would have a meltdown. Rape is a pretty traumatic thing to endure regardless of sex. So I feel it would make more sense to have him have at least a small emotional breakdown before moving into revenge. You can't compare your MC to Two Face, because the situations are different (and your MC isn't given an acid facial). Rape and loss of a loved one affect people in different ways. It is easier to fall into revenge mode at the loss of a loved one, as opposed to being physically and emotionally humiliated as well as violated. The power play of the evil is just not the same when you examine the evidence, though both equally suck. They just are not comparable when you understand the dynamics and implications of each violation. Rape victims go through a host of emotions like self loathing, and insecurities brought on by fear because of the trauma caused by the experience. So there needs to be a period where they get super depressed and self destructive (much like some do at the loss of a loved one, but for entirely different reasons), then once the dust has settled will they rise to aggression against the aggressor.

7. Ryan Elder

Okay thanks. I can write it like that.

If I do not save the rape for the second act climax, then I feel I have not second act climax. A lot of thrillers, traditionally, will have the 'all is lost' moment, and the 'dark knight of the soul' moment. This writer explains it better at 6:25.

If I move the rape should be at the midpoint then I feel I will have no dark knight of the soul to kick start off the climax. But maybe that's okay, even though many thrillers have it.

What do you think?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016