1. d00m5day

d00m5day New Member

Would this plot work?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by d00m5day, Jun 13, 2008.

Discouraged, I have come back for another go at writing.
    Well, I haven't really left, just, never touched upon it for about... 3 months.
    But, I would like to ask people to comment and see if this plot is workable.
    Very few details, but it's just a rough synopsis.
    A bit inspired by the Andromeda Strain (it's some cool sci-fi thing i watched)

There is a psychiatrist who is hired by this company, and he works there, feeling nothing special. But the story begins when he does the ultimate cause of this whole story. The company has created a vaccine that alters the memory of a person, supposedly. He injects the vaccine into a patient's body, and that day, the two colleagues working with him who had direct physical contact with the patient dies. He escapes the company building, by the end of the day, nearly everybody is dead. He locks himself into a storage room, where he finds out the company is actually based on a cult. He escapes with the documents and a gas mask he had brought with him. 24 hours later and finds the whole city has fallen silent.

I'm only describing so little because I have a lot of ideas I don't want to get stolen, but basically that is the main plot of the first... 8-9 chapters.

There will be constant flashbacks throughout the story.

And so far I named it "Memory Bug".

Thoughts or comments are all welcome.
    And I want to see how original this is, because I don't want to make it cliched, or overused.
    And it doesn't have to be a cult. It could just be an organization if that makes it any better.

Thanks, cheers.

2. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Whether a plot works or not will almost always depend on how well you write it. It is up to YOU.

There is a 90% chance that this will be 90% of the general theme of 90% of the responses here.

3. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

^^What Ivan said.

4. Marloy

Marloy New Member

He's right ^

There's no way we can tell you for sure that your plot is good enough or if it will work, etc. etc., because in the end you are the writer and only you can make it happen.

That also can come to the same effect. Not to discourage you (because I'm always going through the same thing) but there is actually a wide array of psychological thriller novels, mad scientists, innovational vaccines that go wrong, end of the world 'city falling silent' type things - too many to name.

The fact that it is your story and not the other ones like it is where the factor of 'will it work' lies. If you write it so it stands out and give it your own flair it will be original, just like trying to decipher say, Eragon from The Chronicles of Narnia to The Bridge to Terabithia (in that sense).

5. edens garden

edens garden New Member

Having watched the Andromeda Strain I am going to throw a few things out that they did wrong, that will hopefully help you while using it as a basis. It was, untill the last 20 minutes, riveting. Just don't go Hollywood with it and you should be alright. Open glowing blue pools as nuclear reactors and maintenance shafts with no ladders/maintenance properties whatsoever.

I liked the idea you have for your plot, but like everyone said, it will depend entirely on how you write it. Since "omg, everyones dead!" stories are common be sure to give it a little something to set it apart.

I would like to see it when you get something written!

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto all of the above... and, fyi, that was a pretty good novel by crichton that was hamburgered up in the latest film version... the first one was closer to what mc wrote and a much better movie, imo...

7. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

Correct.

8. d00m5day

d00m5day New Member

haha, alright thanks for the advice
    i'll post the story up soon. hope it won't disappoint!
    i'll make sure it's not a hollywood-giveaway. =)

9. Skralo

Skralo New Member

I think the plot is good but it has two flaws for me.

1) Why would a physciatrist take a gas mask to work?
    2) Your plot seems to be touching on the I am Legend story.

But apart from that it seems like a good plot. Definatley something I would read.

10. d00m5day

d00m5day New Member

Actually, when I think about it... it is a bit similar to i am legend :(
    but don't worry, it's different in some ways. like basically no evacuation. and the main character doesn't stick around that long. but there are going to be zombies. in future books. :p im not planning on getting so far ahead of myself.
    but thank you!
    i will post my story in the private forum thingy where only members can look, so feel free to read my story there and critique away! thank you everyone

11. Lunar_Eclipse123

Lunar_Eclipse123 New Member

Agreed.

12. seantrott

seantrott New Member

just so you know a lot of stories have similar plots, just different characters and different settings. So don't be discouraged if people tell you it's exactly like something else (which happens to me all the time; non-writers just don't understand) ;)

lol but anyway it sounds like an interesting topic, I can see how the Andromeda Strain inspired you. Have you read the book it's really good.

As everyone has said, just make it your own with your own writing. I recently have found myself emulating the style of chuck pahlanuk (fight club, invisible monsters) and i def. need to stop this.