1. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Do you need a receiver?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by w176, Feb 20, 2011.

As I write, as well as when I paint, I have a much easier to really have an actual receiver. Not as in a "well defined goal group" or "a specific type of reader in mind", but when I have an actual person or a shared creative project I write or paint for.

A writers group, or I'm writing for some theater or event, or when I'm painting for a relative or some creative project. Or when I'm co-writing or text role playing a story. It got to be a receiver I can touch and feel and communicate with, not a "well eventually, id i get punished there will be readers"

For me, there a magic in having to consider the receiver, as costumer and as a partner being a part of the creative process. It take the act of art and makes it to more then creating something, it becomes act of communication, of empathy of co-creation.

I have a really hard time writing, or painting if I don't have some sort of reliever.

How about you. Do you need some sort of actual receiver?

2. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

I don't think I do. I just sort of write what comes to me. I don't really consider a "receiver" or any sorts.

3. Halcyon

Halcyon Contributor Contributor

I dream of having millions of receivers for my work, but know deep down that it will end up as hundreds.

But if those hundreds like it, then it has all been worthwhile. :)

4. Show

^^^^I'd love to have millions or even hundreds. I do dream of being published one day. I just don't really let that influence my writing too much.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

seems to me that wouldn't be a good idea, since your work should appeal to a wide range of 'receivers' and writing/painting for only one would be extremely limiting...

i think one should write whatever you feel you need to or want to, only making sure it will make sense to total strangers... if it's a good story/article/whatever, 'receivers' of all kinds will get something out of it...

6. w176

I think, it might be because that for me, creative stuff always been something you been doing with other people. Most of what i written, I written with other people. Every time I'm acting I acting with other people. Most of the time when I paint i do so in the company of other painters, or at least continuously discussing it online with them. When I craft, I done so for some sort of shared projects, like costumes for an event both me and my friends are going to.

Writing without a partner or reciever of some kind, feels like masturbation. You can do it for a while, it nice and all but you don't get the same level of involvement, flow or motivation as when you do it with other persons.

7. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I do most of my writing in a writers chatroom - even when no one is speaking its nice to have someone there to share the best bits with, encourage each other etc It isn't essential to me writing and in someways slows me down. However it helps on other days.

8. Show

I think I DO see where you're coming from. I do often talk over my stories with others and I DO have a need for people to see it I guess. I just don't really write with any particular receiver in mind.

9. w176

But I don't have the need to be read or seen, i do need that spark you get of co-creation you get when you actually is addressing someone. The sense of connection.

10. Show

Interesting. I guess I'm the opposite. While I DO sometimes like to bounce ideas off of others, I like to do the bulk of the writing myself and then share it with others afterwards. I guess everyone has different writing needs.

11. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

W176, I know what you mean. I don't let someone else tell me how to write my story, but I like to show friends (fellow writers only though) and get feedback every chapter or so. I like the sense of engagement and interactivity, even though I'm independent in the sense that my stories are my own alone.