Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown Contributing Member

Would You Rather Not Tell Others What Your Religious Views Are?

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by MainerMikeBrown, Nov 4, 2014.

If someone asks me what my religious beliefs are, it's not difficult for me to tell them that I'd rather not say.

However, if they ask, "You do believe in God, don't you?" if they word it that way, it's harder for me to tell them that I'd rather not say.

If someone asks you what your views are, their is nothing wrong with telling them, if you want. But if you don't want to, you have the right to tell them that you'd rather not say.

To me, my religious views are private. And their is nothing wrong with that if you feel the same as well.

Christopher Snape. likes this.
  2. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Supporter Contributor

I fully believe that every human should have a clearly visible tag pertaining to their religious status so we know whether we should associate with them or not.

Terrible joke aside, why you bringing this up?
    Is there some sort of situation nowadays where people feel they aren't allowed to their religious privacy?

3. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

I have no issue. I don't do theism, never have. I come from a non theist home. I generally say it this way: I don't participate in that epistemology.

4. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributing Member Contributor

Eeh, I don't really care. I'm an agnostic, leaning toward atheist. But I believe organized religion, as it currently exists, generally does more harm than good. In the U.S. especially, it's led to a dangerous group-think, and has led to some very damaging politicians obtaining elected office. Their views are then perversely tied to the interests of the extremely wealthy, so that a belief in Jesus is equated to drilling for oil in protected areas and to not just tax breaks, but subsidies to oil companies. Really, I would venture to say, not something Jesus would be preaching.

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I don't mind telling people that I'm an atheist. I know for a fact that some of my friends are religious, but religion is never an issue with us. In fact, we rarely discuss it.

6. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I often just keep my Agnostic beliefs to myself. I'm cool with your beliefs, whatever they are. Just don't put others down for having different beliefs and try to shove yours down their throats.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I'm not averse to revealing it, but I also have no compulsion to convert anyone to my views. And I have no interest in defending my views. If you don't like them, it's your problem, and no one will make it my problem.

8. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Like @Cogito, I don't try to hide my views, but I also don't press them on others. Occasionally, I have been drawn into religious discussions here, but only when I felt someone was either attacking my view (which is different from disagreeing) or misrepresenting it. I also agree with @chicagoliz that organized religion has a rather poor track record, but I ascribe that to other aspects of human behavior, not religion per se. I mean, if the Crusades hadn't been fought over religion, they'd have been fought over something else. In fact, a lot of wars that were supposedly about religion were really about something else. Religion was merely the recruiting tool.

jannert and Wyr like this.
  9. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Supporter Contributor

@EdFromNY
    You're back!!!!

jannert likes this.
  10. EdFromNY

Apparently. :D

jannert and A.M.P. like this.
  11. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Don't tell people if you don't want to. I don't mind telling people what I believe if they are interested, but what I hate above anything else is the arrogance of some people in my own camp. It's counter productive and only makes you look like a douche - trust me.

Christopher Snape. and thirdwind like this.
  12. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Amen, brother.

Christopher Snape. and Lemex like this.
  13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributing Member Contributor

When do people ask you what your religious beliefs are?

I can't remember the last time I was asked!

14. EdFromNY

Directly? Rarely. It's more likely to come up as part of a discussion of other things.

It actually comes up here on the forum at times, not only here in the Debate Room, but when people discuss writing projects. Just recently, someone mentioned that they were taking some ideas from the Bible, and then hastened to add a disclaimer about what they wouldn't mention in their writing.

15. Lemex

I honestly think everyone should read The Bible. It has nothing to do with my beliefs, but when I say that people often get the wrong idea about me.

Christopher Snape. and EdFromNY like this.
  16. James Random

James Random Member

I read both the Bible and the Quran. They led me to atheism. :)

17. EdFromNY

I agree with you. There are many books I think everyone should read - not because I advocate what they say, but because they present beliefs that are often accepted or rejected without critical thought. I was still in high school when I chose Mein Kampf as a reading assignment for social studies. I was embracing leftist politics at the time, my social studies teacher was politically conservative, and he encouraged me. He also encouraged me to read The Communist Manifesto and Wealth of Nations. Looking back, he was the best teacher I had in high school.

I haven't read the Quran, and I think I am the poorer for it. It's on my list. As for the Bible, I can see much in the Old Testament that would lead a person to atheism, but not the New. But that's just me.

Christopher Snape. and Lemex like this.
  18. Lemex

Well done, I'm out of cookies and too lazy to buy more, so have my warm thoughts and pleasantries.

I honestly don't know how you would understand a lot of what is going on in literature, especially literature like Shakespeare, Dickens and T.S. Eliot without a knowledge of the Bible.

I've read the Qur'an too (pretty much).

He sounds like an excellent teacher. I remember reading Mein Kampf in high school for a history project, that is tough going. I didn't finish it I don't think, I guess I was too young. But the Manifesto and Das Kapital I have read, I read them as an undergraduate. Wealth of Nations I've not read, beyond pieces here and there, how did you find it?

19. James Random

James Random Member

There's loads in the new testament that would make you an Atheist. Without wanting to get into it too much, everything that happens from cover to cover in no way indicates a divine intelligence at work. I find it only indicates a human intelligence at work. From ordering these people to kill those people to the very convoluted, narcissitic and theatrical story of the Resurrection simply to forgive the sins of human beings. If I were god I'd just go: okay, you're forgiven.

20. Lemex

To be honest, I think unbelief is good enough to make you an athiest. It is for me - as if my own position wasn't painfully clear already, there it is.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  21. EdFromNY

Disclaimer: I make the following post because I think a tenet of my faith has been misunderstood. It should in no case be seen as an attempt to preach.

Well, actually, He did. The Resurrection is a gesture of sacrifice. In Genesis, Abraham is told to sacrifice his son, Isaac, and then at the last minute is stopped from doing so. In the New Testament, the Lord sacrifices His Son - that is, makes the very sacrifice that He would not allow Abraham to make. It's important to remember that much of the Bible is allegory.

Chiv and Lemex like this.
  22. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

Okay, so what I've never really understood is how much of a 'sacrifice' it was for Christ to die, given that he was pretty much guaranteed eternal life in Heaven. It was more like a promotion, wasn't it?

23. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

My problem is I can't help myself discussing it when I see something I think makes no sense.

And herein lie the problems.

God's only son: I know what it's like to love one's child. I fail to see how inserting your seed into a woman you have no relationship with leads to "a son" that is meaningful in any parental sense.
    Sent to die: Obviously the death was not so significant given BayView's comments.
    The torture part: Many people on this planet have suffered much much more.

But the biggest issue is the illogic of it.

God contrived the reason to be offended, and then created an elaborate resolution to the crime. He supposedly wanted people to worship him, then got mad when they didn't obey, claiming it's so they could have free-will. And he stays hidden then expects people to believe with no evidence which of course is what our brains evolved to look for... the whole story becomes convoluted nonsense.

As one would expect from a myth that was created 2,000 yrs ago, which might have made sense to the culture at that time but no longer does.

24. EdFromNY

Since Christ adopted human form, he endured human suffering.

Memo to @MainerMikeBrown - I think you can take @GingerCoffee's post as a "no".

Lemex likes this.
  25. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

:D

I don't go out of my way to say I'm an atheist. But when the subject comes up ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.