Would You Read This?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by JTheGreat, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

JTheGreat I am not sure how old you are but your age maybe having a bearing on your decisions. Just like Wreybies is having a bearing on his reaction. Like you my first thought with Salem is Sabrina's cat before we even consider witch trials or Melchizedek king of Salem:)

2. Hazel Eyed Scribe

Hazel Eyed Scribe New Member

I agree with what a lot of people are saying. The problem with this blurb is that it is a summary of a story that hasn't been written yet. And if the writer doesn't really know the story how can he sell it to all of us? It is hard for us to say we like or dislike it because we have no idea what it is about. Write the story, then ask. By then, you'll know your story and know it well enough to give us a great back jacket.

3. LaPetitePierrot

LaPetitePierrot New Member

Hmm, yeah, not offense, but it doesn't seem too good to me. Sounds exactly like half the blurbs on the back of fantasy books. Throw something in there that'll differentiate your book instantly from similar books, that might suck the reader in a bit more than flashing the classic literary archetypes and a brief setting description.

4. sereda008

sereda008 Member

I would definitely read it. It reminds me of "The Noble Warriors Trilogy" which is one of my favorite books.
    Now seriously, every human has the ability to psychic powers in reality so I would suggest that you do not write that only one race has those powers.

5. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

There's only one race in the premise (humans). It's just that only some of the humans have powers.

6. Manofkent

Manofkent New Member

I', sorry if this has been said, I am only commenting on the blurb and have not read the whole thread.
    For me, it doesn't really work. You have just named a bunch of names that we dont know anything about.
    Also, telekineses, telepathy, and clairvoyance are such huge superpowers that they can make a story really dull.
    Maybe if you tell us about the era and the world, the ages and background of the main few, rather than naming everyone in the story.

7. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Start writing your story and see how it goes. If after 10/100 pages you still need to ask
    the question 'Would you read this?'
    Then maybe you should change your question to 'Should I carry on writing this'

What I mean is play around with your Ideas and if you still lack confidence in its readability
    Then i'm afraid it may be time to move on to new project

8. stubeard

stubeard Active Member

Are we not missing a trick here?

J - why are you asking people if they would read it? If it's because you're wondering if it will sell, there's a whole host of issues to think about, which I'll come back to later.

If you're just looking for permission to write it - who needs to give you permission other than yourself? If you really love this idea you've come up with, write it! Write it, and everyone else be damned! But if you're looking for outside permission, that says to me that your heart is not really in it. Therefore you'll probably not get the best out of yourself and the book will either end up unfinished or not very good.

Re. the book selling: there's a thousand things that influence this - not just the idea. I think we can all agree the idea is very similar to many other fantasy stories. That could be a good thing or a bad thing, although that is a matter of opinion. The simple fact is that some of these generic books sell very well and some don't sell at all. Why is that, if their stories are so similar?

9. Wicked

Wicked Member

Well it's definitely not bad, I'd read it. Of course, I see nothing unique or unusually eye-catching about it either, it looks like "Fantasy book #784626256378958" to me. Doesn't mean I won't read it though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.