1. DaveLu

DaveLu Member

Would you say theres a "Paranoia/Hallucinatory" trope episode that seems to be in many fantasy shows

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DaveLu, Jun 21, 2016.

Buffy, Supernatural, Charmed, Smallville, Teen Wolf, Joan of Arcadia and so many more all seem to have an episode where the characters for one reason or another "lose their mind" or are driven to a mentally unstable state. I have no idea why, it may just be me, but I always have to struggle through these episodes. It just seems like I've seen this particular type of idea repeated so often. Not saying this is cliche at all, but every time I come across it... it's just tiring to me haha

Tenderiser likes this.
  2. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

I think it's just you; you're seeing things that aren't there. haha ;)

Of course you're right and the longer you're about @DaveLu the more you'll spot this. I note that nearly all the shows you mention there are from the US. They have a lot more screen space to fill than we wee folk here in the UK. No. of seasons that run into double figures, no. of episodes that can reach over a hundred. I can imagine the writing teams scratching their heads in a 'whadda we do now' kind of way. Where they then lift plots from other shows or go straight to the trope book.

It's usually novelty that has a show catch on but it takes something special to have it last. Quality not quantity, shorter = sweeter, live fast die young, quit while ahead — to borrow a few phrases.

Ooh, look. Is this a dagger which I see before me...

I.A. By the Barn and DaveLu like this.
  3. DaveLu

DaveLu Member

haha love it, i completely agree quality not quantity. I have seen some uk shows but need to get into watching more, as I have enjoyed 100 percent of the ones I've come across. It just puzzles me how some shows like Breaking Bad and Heroes (season 1) are able to shatter preconceptions while some comfortably fall into categories and try to just robotically follow structure?

4. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

Notice how Breaking Bad only had ten episodes per series, and Heroes also fell down in later series as well. It's mostly just to do with time and amount of creativity the developers have left for that project.

DaveLu likes this.
  5. DaveLu

DaveLu Member

Yes exactly. I think this way of cranking out 21 episodes per year, 1 episode per week, is exhausting and I applaud the writers for doing what they do. I think the writer for Breaking Bad, if I'm not mistaken, knew where he was going with the series, from the very first episode, new that he only wanted it to last a certain amount of time. Same with heroes I believe.

6. SethLoki

One nil to the planners there. Then take 'Lost', great beginning, but the writers pantsed up a self-fulfilling prophecy with that one. Their only success was a worldwide state of viewership bewilderment. :confused:

DaveLu likes this.
  7. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

It depends on the content. If you're going to deliver one continuous tale, plan it. If you're doing something more episodic, pants it.

SethLoki likes this.
  8. SethLoki

I'm just jealous of some writers' ability to be watertight whilst streaming thought. Even in linear chrono mode inconsistencies (incontinences) leak in/out. If I we're a pantser, I'd be in waders.