1. Blue Stasz

Blue Stasz New Member

Hi from DFW

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Blue Stasz, May 7, 2012.

Meet Blue Stasz - this is my pen name since I discovered that my first and last name usually cause some spelling trouble ;) I was born and raised in Germany and moved to a Dallas suburb in April 1998. My husband Tony (who is from England) and I share our home with two dogs and four cats. I speak and write fluently American English with German accent, garnished with some Yorkshire colloquial. My German has got a bit rusty over the years, but is still helpful when swearing under my breath.

For a living I work as Web Content Administrator for a beauty products supplier; for a passion I took up writing, which always has been a secret aspiration. I've written a few short stories so far and I maintain a blog, all just very recently. I'm working on some projects right now and I'm hoping to find some inspiration and good discussions here in this forum while I'm pursuing my writing journey.

Some of my other interests include reading – my best birthday present ever was the Kindle DX I got from my husband about a year ago – our pets, gardening, watching movies, cooking, spending quality time with family and friends and a computer game once in a while.

2. KRHolbrook

KRHolbrook Member

Hullo, Blue Stasz! Nice to meet you! I got a Nook for my birthday, haha.

What are the breeds of your dogs?

3. Blue Stasz

Blue Stasz New Member

Thanks :) Congrats to your Nook. Did your reading habits changed by getting an eReader? Mine changed drastically, and I'm reading a lot more than I used to.

We have a pure breed beagle and a Chow/Akita mix - both are rescue dogs from a local non-kill animal shelter.

4. KRHolbrook

KRHolbrook Member

Ha, I used to have a basset hound. I love akitas, but leery around chows. They have quite a temperament on them most of the time. I've got a doberman now, she's a complete scaredy-cat with most things. :p

I'm slowing down on my reading write now because of funds, but yeah, if I got into a book, I'd read it in a day. Most of every week I'd buy at least five books to read.

5. Blue Stasz

Blue Stasz New Member

Actually, our Chow/Akita mix is kinda - how can I put this delicately - special :D She loves cats, she hates smaller dogs, she loathes men and there seems to be only one gooddess in her entire universe and that would be yours truly. It took her about five years to get friendly with my husband - but we're getting there ;)

Reading funds is a problem for me as well - I could easily spend about $50 every two weeks or so. Hence I'm reading a lot of the free books I can download from Amazon. Some are - well free, so I'm not so much disappointed if I have to remove them. But I also find real treasures for free or discounted. Usually I also read a book when I think it's bad, just to learn from it. But there is only so much in a while I can endure ;)

6. Faust

Faust Active Member

Guten Tag! Or rather, hello~

Welcome to the forums ^^

(Note: My German is terrible, since it was only my great-grandparents that spoke it, I never had the chance to meet them. I'm learning, albeit slowly)

7. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Welcome to Writing Forums, Blue Stasz!

I hope you find what you're looking for here, whatever your interests in writing.

This forum aims to provide the best workshopping resources on the internet, and to that end we have a few rules which you should familiarise yourself with before you get stuck in. The main section of the site is the Writing Workshop, where members can post their writing in order to receive critique of their work.

However, before we allow members to post their work, they must have met some basic requirments. Firstly, you must have been a member for fourteen days, and have made twenty posts on the forum overall (please note, posts in Word Games do not count towards this). This is so that members, when they post their work, have familiarised themselves with the forums and contributed to them (as well as hopefully learned something for themselves). Secondly, members must provide two constructive reviews of other people's work for each piece of their own that they wish to post. This is because we believe that the focus of workshopping should be equally upon giving reviews as receiving them, as they allow a writer to practice and improve their editing skills, which they can then apply to their own writing.

Beyond the Writing Workshop, you will find that we have extensive forums for discussion of aspects of writing, as well as a community area for general discussion. We also run periodic short story and poetry contests, which are good for challenging yourself and expanding your skills.

If you have any questions or problems, then the moderators (myself Cogito, Lemex and Dante Dases) should be your first port of call. Any technical problems with the site itself should be directed to Daniel, the site administrator and owner. I would recommend you have a look over the rules so that you know what to expect, and what is expected. But aside from that, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Banzai