1. deadrats

deadrats Active Member

Writer Residencies

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by deadrats, Aug 23, 2016.

Has anyone here thought of doing writer residencies like Yaddo or Vermont Studios? I know there are a ton more and I would love any suggestions or recommendations. For anyone who isn't familiar with these types of things, you basically go live at these great places with other writers and just write for one to six months. I know a writer who just lived residency to residency for something like two years. It sounds kind of great to me. The thing is that a lot of already accomplished writers do these things (it's not something for beginners) and that's the competition you're up against to get in. Also, once in, there is no cost to the writer, but it does cost to apply so I want to be smart and realistic with myself. I'm just not feeling all that confident, but I think this is something that could be really good for me. If any of you have been through one of these or even the application process, I would love to hear your thoughts. Also, just what do you guys think of these opportunities for writer? Is this something you would want to do? How long would you ideally want to go for if you were doing something like this?