1. Domoviye

Domoviye Contributing Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi

Writers block help

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Domoviye, Feb 7, 2007.

Since I started writing in mid-November I was writing about 1500 word stories or chapters every two or three days. In December it was almost every night. And most of it was at least readable.
    Then in January I went away for a month long course, which curtailed my writing somewhat. But I was still writing.

Now I've run into a problem. My Grandfather and Uncle both died last week. I really don't care about that, I barely knew them. Unfortunately it hit my Mom kind of hard. I'm also looking for a teaching job overseas, which will be my first big trip since University almost a year ago, and my first real job that will set the tone of my entire future.

So the stress has kind of gotten to me. I have plenty of ideas. I have two serial stories I am currently working on and I'm already behind schedule. There's no money, or time tables involved, but I did have a fairly strict personal schedule. Now anytime I try to type something I can't seem to think of the proper words and what I do write is doggerel.

I'm not looking for pity or anything. Just has anyone else ever dealt with this type of writers block before, and if so how did you get over it?

2. Myst

Myst Active Member

Nope, sorry. My experience has as of late not acheived enough to offer empathy.

...I only have an extremely unrelated case, want me to tell you about it? Probably not, but I'll do it anyway.

I'm quite a bit younger than you, and once I hit a block in my poetry. Because of this I stopped trying to write, and it got worse. Eventually I just stopped writing creatively for the most part. Then, I happened to try again this year, and my creativity seems to have returned along with regular churnings of that part of the noggin.

Yeah, so, wish you luck with your writer's block, either way.

3. ariella

ariella Contributing Member

in a home full of wonderful and loving people I ca
    I have had this exact thing happen to me, it is never easy.
    Here is a few things I have done myself to help and it did for me although I can't say it will work for anyone else.
    Ok well I have found that when I have writer's block I just play on words, write down in a scrap book anything that comes into my head at all, even pictures. Sometimes the page is full of me going blah blah blah, other times I end up with some pretty good stuff in it. I dunno seems to have really helped me of late.
    Another way is to release any stress and tension that you are going through, it can sometimes contribute to writers block. Go for a walk, clear your mind, maybe read some books or watch some movies that your topic is about.
    But yeah just relax, it will not last forever. I had writer's block for a few years and in doing these simple things I have now overcome it...but what works for one person, may not always work for another.

Hope this helps in some way...

Ariella :)

4. Domoviye

Myst, yeah thats what I'm afraid of. I'm a horrible procrastinator. So I need to keep writing or else it could take another 7 years before I start writing again.

Ariella thanks for the advice. I've never had to use those writing exercises, but what the heck, I'll give it a shot.
    Hopefully once I get a job my mind will clear up. The movies, books, and other methods aren't helping, and with the temperature being below minus 30 celcius going for a walk isn't gonna happen. :)
    I'll let you know it your method works.

Cheers

5. ariella

Yeah ok well definately don't go for the walk then......
    I never thought of using writing excercises before either, but after having writers block for around 4 years, I felt drastic times called for drastic measures and writing is a major part of my life so I needed to do something.
    But yes defiantely let me know how you go with it.
    Take care and I hope you overcome your block soon, just don't sit and stare at the screen going crazy, it will only make things worse so I have noticed in my time.

Ariella

6. wordwizard

wordwizard Contributing Member

I am a strong believer in yoga. It kicks your butt(if your doing it right) and totally relieves your mond and body of stress. If you get desperate enough maybe you can try it? good luck with your troubles and condolences to you and your family.

7. Domoviye

Wordwizard, can't say I'm a fan of yoga. But I do agree that exercise does help clear the mind. So I will probably start exercising again. I could use to lose some weight anyways.
    Thanks

8. Domoviye

Just to let everyone know I have finally broken my writers block. Took some different methods to do it though.

First I had a friend write up a bunch of different sentences, picked one at random and started writing. The story wasn't very good, but I did write most of a short story.

Unfortunately I just didn't feel like writing after that. I was writing better but didn't really want to.

Then I got some books I hadn't read before, by an author I really liked, which gave me some really good ideas. Also my Mom was feeling a lot better after attending a double funeral and saying good bye to her brother-in-law and father.

But I still didn't feel that burning urge to write. So I went back over the sentences I had tried first. Found one childish little rhyme that gave me a good idea for the writing contest on this board.

So I just sat down, played some really depressing music, and started typing. You can see my finished work, hot off the press, on the newest contest thread.

So I think my writers block is officially over.
    At least I really hope so, it was getting really frustrating.

9. Handguns For Hearts

Handguns For Hearts Member

I get writer's block like nobodies business. I could go on for months with writers block, and that causes me to rebound to other stories, which soon I develop writer's block over those stories. Eh, it's a nasty habit.

10. Domoviye

I would hate having it that badly.
    I'm still not at my best but for the most part my writers block is gone. If got it that badly every couple of months I'd go nuts.

11. Snoopers

Snoopers New Member

How do you get past writers block? I get to the point where I get writers block and just stop writing altogether. I wonder if this happens to lots of people or if I'm just not cut out for writing. Some suggestions welcome here. =)

12. Domoviye

Like I said, I tried a few writing exercises, my life became slightly less stressful, and I read some good books that helped get my imagination going again.
    My writers block was entirely stress related. So it might be different from yours. When the stress went away (somewhat), I could write again.

When it comes to non-stress related writers block, I can't really help you. The few times I have that problem its for only a day or two, and I usually just write a different story when it happens.
    I would recommend trying some writing exercises. They do help, even if they seem silly. I finally broke my writers block by using the randomly picked phrase "enie meenie minie mo" in a story. So they can help.

Good luck.

13. Handguns For Hearts

Handguns For Hearts Member

You're not the only one. I have stories from back in September I still can't get past.
    You see, I get past that point when I'm feeling at my absolute worst. I swear I need to go to therapy sessions. It's then that all of my thoughts grow to a point where I can't keep them inside my mind. I have to let them loose, and when I do that I do it all at once and that usually produces a one shot...
    I think I depend on my mood to write. I can't stand forcing myself to or it comes out horrible and too rehearsed.

meh..

14. prayergirl82

prayergirl82 New Member

Hi i'm new here and was wondering if anyone had advice or anything. I really love writing but tend to find I know what I want to write but can't seem to find the right words!

15. Domoviye

You'll very rarely find the words you want.
    It's one of the problems of writing, the words in your head don't match the ones on the page. The only thing you can do is write it down, and keep writing until you can't write anymore. Come back after a nice relaxing break and read it over again. It will usually look better later on.

16. ariella

I agree with Domoviye, basically just write out anything that pops into your head and then once it is out, go back over it and then see where things can be changed, look some words up in a dictionary if need be to get a more powerful message out with your work.
    Very rarely will your words come to you with ease, it all takes time. Try writing excercises, and search dictionaries for the words possibly. But really let it all flow out, don't think when you write it out the first time, just let it flow off the pen onto the paper or from your fingers to the keyboard.
    Eventually even if it takes days, or even weeks, you will get those words out that you want to say, just don't be afraid to express yourself through your words and don't be afraid to let yourself go when you write.
    Just sit and scribble out random stuff on a sheet of paper if you want, eventually it all comes together and the words are there, trust me this I have done a million and one times in the last 13 years.

Anyways goodluck all seeya
    Ariella

17. Lynx

Lynx Member

Well I was born with writer's block and have, as of yet, not got over it...

18. Misstikal

Misstikal Banned

That has got to suck. I have writers block but I hey every writer gets it and we all get over it one day.
    It is caused from many of things and once you figure out what is causing your block you will over come it. As for everything else, it helps but it doesn't.
    The more ya worry the worse it gets, writing is not something that you should force, it should flow wth grace and ease.
    I suggest anyone with block take a few days away and then come back to it every now and then and work with it.
    Eventually it will go away so don't stress.

19. wordwizard

I find writers block often comes with not knowing which direction you should go in with your story-try plotting it out and if you have already done that-add something interesting to get you excited over it again. sometimes i eve skip ahead past parts i cant seem to make work and write the whole next scene and come back to the troubled scene and fill in the blanks. hope this advice helps some of you out.

20. prayergirl82

prayergirl82 New Member

Does it help by actually writing a story planner first? I've had a story in mind I want to do for a while now but putting it into words i'm having trouble with

21. Lynx

Lynx Member

I think for most people the story they write tends to evolve as they go along, so I don't think sticking ridgidly to a story plan is necessary, but it is nevertheless useful to have a general idea of how you want the story to progress. Personally, I can never seem to get all my ideas into a coherent whole.

22. Domoviye

Give it a shot. If you can't write it as is right now, it definitely can't hurt. Just make sure its not all set in stone. Having the outline, and even key scenes thought out and on paper is good, but refusing to deviate even if the story calls for it, isn't.
    Good luck.

23. wordwizard

i totally agree. the outline for me is a must. I do the spider web planing that i learnt from school hahaha(if you dont know-i cant explain it) i am such a dork haha but hey use what works right