1. hibiscus

hibiscus New Member

Writer's block or lazy or what?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hibiscus, Aug 20, 2013.

I always wanted to in creative fields such as writing since I was in primary school but somehow I lacked motivation to do it accept when given assignment.

What sort of problem that I'm having here? How do I remedy it?

Lately I've never finished my reading, even video games.

I hope experienced writers here can give me some advice/tops/motivation or at least point me where to red/look for.

Many thanks.

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Hard to get into your head from this conflicting information.

You want ... you are not motivated. Those are contradictions.

3. hibiscus

hibiscus New Member

I guess I'm just unmotivated after all...

4. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I think that we need more information here. Do you just think about writing, but never start? Start, but never finish?

In general, if you want to write, you have to write. You don't have to write cleverly, or at a professional level, or write stories that have nice neat endings. To start, just write. Sit down at a keyboard or with a notebook, and make words come out. Write a description of a character making pancakes in the morning, or tying his shoes, or anything else. Don't worry about whether it's good, just write it. Write for X minutes a day, or Y pages a day, or Z words a day. To start, don't worry about any other goal than just making those written words come out. Establish the habit, make it a firm habit, and then look around for another goal.

Just write.

(I'm confused about the link between reading and video games. Are there video games that you equate to reading?)

5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

And yet you are here.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  6. hibiscus

hibiscus New Member

Thanks for your comment. I wrote a few shorts but never finished it. Only links between writing, reading and playing is I think there must be something wrong with me being unmotivated in all things that I do.

Well, I'll just start to write again anyways since I lost that shorts.

7. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

In my experience, there's a huge difference between wanting to write and wanting to be a writer. Perhaps you just like the idea of it, but can't really be bothered to put in the effort?

8. idle

idle Active Member

I can relate to that. You know the feeling of having accomplished something (that's great, so let's repeat it) but the path to it is always long so you give up before you get there or even never start. I fight this all the time, it could be laziness or distraction or whatever but in the end it doesn't matter what you call it.

I don't have the recipe for it, at least not yet. But giving yourself reachable goals can help. Don't worry about a whole story, write a scene and be happy for it. (Works for starters, but doesn't get you much farther.) Next time you can expand on it. (In fact, that usually doesn't happen.) Find someone who supports you, a friend maybe, and ask them to give you assignments, or at least to keep asking you about it. (Nah, doesn't work, it just makes you feel guilty about not having done anything.) Lock yourself in an empty room or go sit in a park with just a sheet of paper and a pen and don't return until you've written something. (Works, at least sometimes.) If you come up with something else that works, let me know.