1. ShadowedMoon

ShadowedMoon New Member

Lodged somewhere in a page...hey what are you doin

Writers block...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by ShadowedMoon, Oct 6, 2008.

Recently, writing for me has turned from something to enjoy to a horror. I have the worst writers block. Every idea I've gotten has been terrible or an idea that I decided I could do without in the timeline. I have tried many different things to cure it, and since it started I havn't written a thing. Any help on un blocking writers block? :confused:

lexusmr likes this.
  2. destinationless

destinationless Member

I have to wonder if something called "writer's block" even exists. Laziness, maddness, or perhaps you've just lost your nerve. Whatever it is... I just think it's an excuse not to write.

You say you have your ideas. Take one, develop it, turn it inside out. Write with one you like, even if you think it's unnecessary. If you write like I do, you will find that one idea will lead to another and at one point, you -will- find an idea you like. Just go with it; the worst thing you can do when you are feeling down is to -not- write.

Have you lost your enthusiasm for that story? Start a new one; just keep writing, every day. A journal entry, research, a poem, a short story, part of your novel... if you keep writing, you should be back in the swing of things in no time.

Writing does not occur by -thinking- about writing; writing occurs when you write. Dont think "Oh, this idea is poor," or "This idea doesnt fit." Just go with it!
    Writing is overrated anyways; it's the editting and revision process that makes your piece shine; if you polish off one of your ideas, it will be fine.

On an unrelated note, I adore your avatar.

Best of luck!
    -D

3. TheAdlerian

TheAdlerian Senior Member

I try just writing anything and on a daily basis. Just sit down and continue writing whatever it is that you've been working on.

Seraph751 and Triad Editing like this.
  4. Louisos

Louisos Member

Presonally, I feel a good writer shouldn't write because they want to write, they write because they need to write; if they have this ''writers block' then they do not need to write, and will thus struggle to do so. I write poems that discuss philosophies or problems that I come across in my life experiences, if I can not find anything to write about, then I go and have some life experiences until I find the urge to write ;)

Good luck :)

Lyana Carol and spottydotty like this.
  5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

However, part of becoming a "serious" writer is establishing a self-discipline, so you can plan and complete a major piece of writing on some sort of schedule. If you only write when your muse is poking you in the ribs, you won't ever complete a large project like a novel, a lengthy short story, or a collection of poems.

6. Louisos

Louisos Member

You harvest the life experience and then sit down and write in a disciplined way. I don't mean go out for one night then come back and write a poem, then go out the next night then come back and do one chapter of a novel.

7. NaCl

NaCl Contributing Member Contributor

Absolutely agree with this statement by Cog.

The nemesis called "writer's block" is a choice, not an impediment (unless you became paraplegic and can no longer type). Most writers experience periods of more or less motivation or creativity, but if they are pursuing an objective like completing a manuscript, they enjoy the moments of clarity while gutting their way through the doldrums.

I am a "momentum" writer . . . I write best when I am excited and do not stop until the enthusiasm passes. This may be an hour or it has lasted an entire weekend, during which I worked on my story in every waking hour. Ironically, those periods of inspired writing are NOT the reason I have completed any manuscript. It is all the hours of disciplined writing in between the euphoric moments that brought my novel to completion. It's a personal choice; keep moving, or quit. I choose to keep moving.

Seraph751 likes this.
  8. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Here's my little pearl of wisdom to counter writer's block...

Pay attention to your everyday life. Look at what is happening around you. Really listen to the conversations that take place in front of you or with you as a participant. You'll be amazed how much fodder life puts in front of you every single day.

Oh, and CNN! I love CNN for getting ideas.

9. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributing Member Contributor

I couldn't agree with that first sentence more. I write because I have to write; because there's too much stuff in my head and I refuse to let it all go to waste. It's a like a tree that constantly produces fruit. It may not always be the fruit I want, but I'm yet to have a dry season. What am I to do, let it fall to the ground and wither away?

Writer's block implies that the writer's mind is empty or out of ideas. A myth, I say; a long-standing, self-defeating lie that must be abolished. There's no such thing as an empty mind; there's always something going on up there. We just have to learn to translate it into a useable medium. Feast upon the fruits of your imagination, no matter how bitter-sweet they may be.

spottydotty likes this.
  10. destinationless

destinationless Member

I love you! :p I agree; if I cant organize my thoughts in some way or another, I tend to become a very irrate person.

What you need to do, if you are not so easily impassioned, is find something that does strike a chord, whatever that may be. Politics, desserts, octupi. Anything. Maybe you cant write about -everything- (honestly, who effectively can?), but when you find a genre or subject that you can and do like to write about... believe me, you will have opened a neverending can of worms.

Just keep experimenting; we have a big world out here. -There's -something- to write about!

-D

11. Cheeno

Cheeno Contributing Member

At the risk of sounding slightly controversial, why don't you just get your finger out and get on with it? Get rid of your distractions, because, in my opinion, 'so called' writer's block derives from the mind being distracted. Set your workstation up in a corner, away from the window, and get working. As was said before (in a manner), the first draft is a prerequisite to the real work to come, so get focused and quit making excuses. If you really want to get something down, you'll make it happen. Use your passion!

12. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi Contributing Member

If it's a fear of the blank page (which I know some writers do have) The type a stream of consciousness to get into it. I always had trouble starting essays at uni because the intro always have to be about what you're going to argue and I hadn't argued it yet so I never knew. I struggled particularly with one subject and would always start with a stream of conscious and then let the ideas flow onto the page. - Just remember to go back and delete it later if it's an essay!! :D

As destinationless said it all boils down to the editing process and rewrite at the end of the day, so get it down and fight the blank page.:p

Just keep writing, not matter what it is. I have to agree that writer's block is a myth invented to cover up some deeper issue that you have; like fear or laziness or lack of confidence. But there are ways to overcome it.
    My motto for beating writers block is below...

Seraph751 likes this.
  13. DownUnder

DownUnder Contributing Member

Some days I will just have a blank page open, or barely even that, and just sit there, thinking 'what the heck i can't write anything...' But what gets me writing in the end is just typing an idea. Like I remember talking to my mum the other day, I told her a suggestion for a novel I had, which I forgot about, but remembered today.

Writers block might be caused by lack of motivation perhaps?

DaveOlden likes this.
  14. Torana

Torana Contributing Member Contributor

This may sound stupid to you, but look back over the piece you are/were writing, and try to find your reason for writing it in the first place. We all have a reason to write something, just sometimes, we forget that reason. Find what you are/were passionate about to begin the piece, or what you are passionate about within the piece now, and go from there.

I recently had writers block on a poem I was writing. I hadn't been able to finish it for over 4 months. I went back to it this week and thought about it and looked for why I began the piece in the first place, and low and behold, I found what I was passionate enough about to write a poem about and I was able to finish the piece.

It may sound stupid, but give it a try. It is the best advice I can give other than just write out anything you can think of and go over it later. Or do some reading and put it down for a while. No harm in doing that.

15. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 Contributing Member

For a while, I just couldn't write when I was working on my novel. That took away a month or two of precious time, but I've been working on it again for the past four or five months. My best advice is to write on a daily basis. Even if you write a terrible short, 1-page piece, its better than nothing. Eventually, you'll get back into it.

16. NaCl

The best way to break "writer's block" is to pick up your favorite guitar, turn the amp up enough to distort the output signal and rip off fifteen minutes of "Little Wing" (SRV or Hendrix style) while neighbors slam their windows shut and contact the local police. Make sure you finish the last solo before the cops arrive so you can hear the front doorbell ring (cops hate it when you fail to come to the door quickly). Then, when the cops report the neighbor complaints, you tell them your damn teenager got carried away and you made him shut it down. Cops leave happy. You enjoyed the hell out of 15 minutes of pure pleasure. Then, the neighbors tell the cops that your kids moved away ten years ago . . . oooops . . . better get back to writing!

17. Cogito

Besides, if they put you in overnight lockup, you will have time and very few distractions (assuming it's a solo lockup).

;)

18. NaCl

...more likely general population lockup, and you'll certainly have some new life experience in the end to prompt your creativity...ouch! (sorry, Cog's sick quips are contagious)

1 person likes this.
  19. Cogito

Even the solitary cinder-block room, with a concrete slab and a blanket, a toilet with a flush outside the room, and no clock within sight, would be experience enough.

20. ParanormalWriter

ParanormalWriter Contributing Member

When I say writer's block, that's just my way of saying unmotivated, uninspired, or otherwise not "in the mood" to write. The only way I know to get over these feelings is to write your way through them. Sooner or later the fog clears and you can get back to getting some real work done. In the mean time the stuff you're writing may not be your best work, but it is progress, even if it doesn't feel like it right now. Eventually you can look back over it and, if you aren't satisfide, toss the bad parts out or rewrite them. The point is to keep pushing on to the end, to set yourself some goal you know you can carry out, even if it's only one or two paragraphs per day.

21. Cogito

-- Gurney Halleck, in Frank Herbert's Dune

22. ShadowedMoon

ShadowedMoon New Member

Lodged somewhere in a page...hey what are you doin
    Thanks so much everyone, it was quiet the loss of enthuasim on that piece. After a couple dozen bad writen pieces, I was able to get back into a good writing progress.
    Many thanks!

Josephine.. and JetBlackGT like this.
  23. sophia_esteed

sophia_esteed Senior Member

writer's block

As always, I'm stuck at the third chapter.
    Now that I've written the first two chapters, I don't know how to go on with the story.
    It's not that I don't have ideas...it's that I have too many and I don't know how to put them together into a story which makes sense.
    I've started writing a sci-fi war story and now it has turned into a spy story.
    I'm so confused!

24. Kylie

Kylie Contributing Member

Have you tried writing an outline? That could help...

A story which makes sense? What exactly are you referring to? A story that flows well? Easy to read???

graphicsmyway likes this.
  25. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman Contributing Member

Yeah, I would really do an outline.

And stay open to possibilities. Lets say there are two different ways you could go in chapter three. Write an outline that would go each way. Each time you find that more than one thing can happen, make an outline and see which path works the best. I could be a writing dichotomous key...possibly splitting off more than twice every time...